remington 770

/ remington 770 #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
was at walmart looking thru their clearance isle of hunting and gun supplies and spied a remington 770 in the gun case.

I'm 99% usually not into black 'plastic' zytel stocks.. etc.. but then I noticed the price tag. 319$ fro a remington bolt action 30-06 with a scope ( no name seen on it ).. I gotta say.. that's darn cheap. vaugely resembles the 700 etc.

anyone shot one?

looks like it might have a detachable mag.

I was trying to find a cheap 30-06 shooter so I didn't have to take my hunting rifle everywhere.

comments?

soundguy

/ remington 770 #2  
remington has had some bad luck with their "cheep bolt action rifles". Take a look at it if it is the type that has any more than 2 locking lugs on the front of the bolt I would leave it there. IMHO

/ remington 770 #3  
Friend of mine has (bought) that combo from "W". I believe his is in .270, he has killed a couple deer/hogs with it already. I think the action is different and of course cheaper than the 700's. If it where me I would noy buy it. Nothing personal to whoever already has one. IMO and I'am no expert the best of those cheaper bolt action rifles are the Weathrby Vanguards and Howa's which I believe they might be the same or very simular.

Boone

remington 770 - Google Search

/ remington 770
please describe the problems you've heard. I've not heard any about remington rifles.. especially not the 7xx bolt models.

I've quite a few caliber in the 700 lineup from 222 thru 30-06 with nearry a problem. I realize the 770 is a variant, and not the same modle.. etc.

/ remington 770
Friend of mine has (bought) that combo from "W". I believe his is in .270, he has killed a couple deer/hogs with it already. I think the action is different and of course cheaper than the 700's. If it where me I would noy buy it. Nothing personal to whoever already has one. IMO and I'am no expert the best of those cheaper bolt action rifles are the Weathrby Vanguards and Howa's which I believe they might be the same or very simular.

Boone

I agree, it does appear to use a cheaper bolt, finish, etc. bbl looks parked not blued.. though that may make it more durable. thumb safety is not as smooth as my 700..

I'm not a fan of plastic stocks.. much prefer wood. however in comparison.. it's about 250$ cheaper than a used rem 700 with no scope.. :)

right now my backup gun is a savage 110 in 30-06 with a bushnel or simons scope. 3-9x40 seems to be a good gun... just always keeping my eyese open. that 770 is cheaper new, than my savage 110 was used.. :)

soundguy

/ remington 770 #6  
I have a Rem. 700 BDL in 30-06 and when I was married, I found a 770 for sale on craiglslist. Since they don't allow gun sales, it was just luck that I saw the add before it was flaged. The guy said he won it at a Ducks Unlimited dinner and he wanted $200 for it.

Everything about it felt cheap. The scope is of very low quality, but it never lost zero. The action was always sticky and the trigger was stiff. With Federal premium loads shooting 165 gr Sierra Boattails, it was deadly accurate. One inch, five shot groups at a hundred yards was about the norm. My 700 BDL has done half inch groups, but most days I shoots one groups. The 770 never got better then one inch, but for the money, that was fine.

In my opinion, the glass that you put on a rifle is more important then any other feature.

If one came up again for the same price, I would consider buying it, but probably wouldn't.

Eddie

/ remington 770 #7  
I've read that the barrels on the 770 are pressed in, not threaded. I've "heard" that they have a tendency to launch the barrels downrange instead of the bullet. Doubt its completely true. I can see em shooting loose but not flying downrange. I have also seen firsthand @ my shooting range that they shoot very accurate, but also seen feeding problems and lots of plastic parts.

Soundguy, I dont think you would regret a purchase for what you said you wanted it for. It should be a decent knock around gun.

/ remington 770
The scope did strike me as looking a bit cheap. i didn't see a manufactures name on it.. not even a rem mark on it.

I'm not a fan of super stiff triggers either.. my 700 spoils me with a butter soft action, and perfect trigger. that savage 110 i also shoot has a trigger a bit more stiff, and an action not as quite as smooth as my rem.. but them it cost half of what my rem did too :)

both shoot well for me. I had been shooting 180 rems, but this past year went to 150's, I see the 165's and may try them.

thanks for the input.

I looked on gunbroker and saw 770's as low as 290$ at auction.. methinks a WM price of 319 Is likely a low price as most auctions get gruesome the last few minutes.. :)

I have a Rem. 700 BDL in 30-06 and when I was married, I found a 770 for sale on craiglslist. Since they don't allow gun sales, it was just luck that I saw the add before it was flaged. The guy said he won it at a Ducks Unlimited dinner and he wanted $200 for it.

Everything about it felt cheap. The scope is of very low quality, but it never lost zero. The action was always sticky and the trigger was stiff. With Federal premium loads shooting 165 gr Sierra Boattails, it was deadly accurate. One inch, five shot groups at a hundred yards was about the norm. My 700 BDL has done half inch groups, but most days I shoots one groups. The 770 never got better then one inch, but for the money, that was fine.

In my opinion, the glass that you put on a rifle is more important then any other feature.

If one came up again for the same price, I would consider buying it, but probably wouldn't.

Eddie

/ remington 770
I've read that the barrels on the 770 are pressed in, not threaded. I've "heard" that they have a tendency to launch the barrels downrange instead of the bullet. Doubt its completely true. I can see em shooting loose but not flying downrange. I have also seen firsthand @ my shooting range that they shoot very accurate, but also seen feeding problems and lots of plastic parts.

Soundguy, I dont think you would regret a purchase for what you said you wanted it for. It should be a decent knock around gun.

i kinda want a truck gun. I have a rack behind my seat in my crew cab.. but sure ain't putting a 700ish $ gun with a 200$ scope in there to beat around.

and while I'm not fond of zytel... it may actually be a good choice.

It's a dual rack, adn I plan on sticking one of my cheap 50$ bolt action shotguns in there too.. I like have options.. :)

unless a beter gun comes up at a gun show, cheaper.. that 770 MAY just have to come home.

hmm.. really have to think about it.. I'm not a cheap gun guy so much anymore.. ;) you tend to get what you pay for with things like precision guns. for plinkers.. whatever... everybody needs a 150$ high point.. thin'gs like a hammer.. but does go bang when you pull the trigger.. :)

/ remington 770
ps, in case I forget to mention it to all responders:

thanks guys, this is exactly the info / discussion I was looking for.

appreciate all comments. pro and con

soundguy