Hearing Aid advice

/ Hearing Aid advice #1  

scesnick

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I did a quick search here for hearing aids and found a bunch of old threads so I thought I would ask my question in a new thread.
I worked the flight deck of a carrier while in the navy and now I work in a powerhouse with loud boilers, chillers and gensets. I have a hearing test every year and fail miseribly.

Wifey is getting sick of the loud TV and always repeating herself so she now wants me to look into a hearing aid. First off, I am only 41 yrs old. and I am not thrilled about the hearing aid idea. Also, I know I have some hearing loss but not sure if it is bad enough yet for a HA. My last audiogram shows high frequency loss and supposedly in the moderate loss range (although I dispute that finding...lol )

Could someone who has knowledge of these things give e a quick lesson on hearing aids please. some of my questions are. Why is there such a HUGE price swing? I have seen them go from about $200 to $4,000 !! Also, I am still quite active. I play softball, run, and race dirtbikes quite a bit. Is it routine to just leave the HA's in when doing these activities?

And finally, What is up with the batteries? Some say they have a 70 hour battery life. So you gotta change the batteries once every two weeks? What about tinnitus? Will a HA get rid of that God for saken humming?

/ Hearing Aid advice #2  
USAF -- jet engines --hearing loss -- loud tv -- tinnitus....yep all me as well. I found some hearing aids online for $300 for the pair that work for me just fine. I actually just use one at a time because the cheap things seem to give me a bit of an echo that drives me nutz. But wearing just one fixes it. Batteries last me a long time because I leave 'em out most of the time. I wear it to watch tv or whenever I'm going out in public. On the tractor or around the house I leave it out. The tinnitus is drastically reduced as well when in. You can check it out ---MDhearingAid.com------My 90 yr old FIL has an expensive pair that he keeps fooling with and breaking and when that happens he uses one of my cheap ones and gets along fine.

/ Hearing Aid advice #3  
Some quick answers. Price swing........Huge markup on aids. sort of like glasses and other medical supplies. Also sales involves commissions in places like Beltone.
will not help tinitus
aids generally do not help high frequency losses..nerves in the ear are dead or dying from loud noise trauma. Low frequency loss is mechanical and is helped by aids. Trying to boost high frequency gives a booming effect in the low ranges. I was told about a new earpiece that was open to the air and would help with that. Something to look into.
There is a new implant I've seen advertised ,but I don't know if it would help nerve losses Again something to research.
Try to preserve the hearing you have left by wearing protection in loud situations.
Many people don't understand how isolating it is when you have this kind of problem. It's hard or impossible to understand speech in certain circumstances,such as in groups or when music is playing, or other backround noise.
Some of this info may be outdated since I am outdated , but its a start for you. Good luck.

/ Hearing Aid advice #4  
Six years active duty, Navy, in the engine room. Thirty seven years in power plant. Yeah, I know what you are going through. You should be able to get your HA thru Workman's Comp. I did in California before I retired, nine years ago. Hope you like the "music" in your ears...... It will be there the rest of your life..... My HAs are still covered and free to me. I agree with protecting the hearing you have left.

/ Hearing Aid advice #5  
yes- reason hearing aids are priced wildly is because of 2 factors. severity of hearing loss and quality of sound you can afford. If you can hold a conversation but need repeats and volume of tv too loud, then there are 2 options for you since you might fall in the mild loss category, the in the ear HA and the BTE's (behind the ears). IMHO, I wouldnt worry about price, just get one tailored to your needs and fit. after all you might be using same HA from 5 to 20 years but on average close to 10 years with care.

Secondly, due to laws in most states, hearing aids cannot be dispensed without a recent hearing test, regardless of your last hearing test, the place you pick for HA's you will still need to go thru their hearing test and its a good thing since they can tailor the HA's to your specific loss. BTW, we just transitioned from analog to digital hearing aids so you will get better sounds, and not worry about missing certain sounds who used analogs for years.

The batteries needs to be changed from weekly to monthly depending on size of batteries your HA's uses and how loud you turn up the volume and how long you use it. Stay away from rechargeable for HA's. they are ungoldly expensive and don't last as long and dies unexpectantly. Dont worry about batteries prices, they are not too expensive and you can get them in a pack of 3's, 6,12, 24 or even a carton worth! Just get a few and leave one in house, one in car you use most and one in your favorite winter coat.

finally for tinnitus, its been known that HA's are used as a treatment. But I heard it works for some and others is just incurable. I am not a doctor by any means - but I suspect your hearing loss IS giving you tinnitus and HA most likely could help. Just don't take my last advice as gospel or anything - its just what I heard and experienced.

Lastly, I see from your statement you are active- no big deal with HA's. just continue to wear it unless you are in vicinity of water spray or rain. Many good HA's cuts out high decibels from harming your ears so it can be disconcerting for first time users.

/ Hearing Aid advice #6  
I did a quick search here for hearing aids and found a bunch of old threads so I thought I would ask my question in a new thread.
I worked the flight deck of a carrier while in the navy and now I work in a powerhouse with loud boilers, chillers and gensets. I have a hearing test every year and fail miseribly.

Wifey is getting sick of the loud TV and always repeating herself so she now wants me to look into a hearing aid. First off, I am only 41 yrs old. and I am not thrilled about the hearing aid idea. Also, I know I have some hearing loss but not sure if it is bad enough yet for a HA. My last audiogram shows high frequency loss and supposedly in the moderate loss range (although I dispute that finding...lol )

Could someone who has knowledge of these things give e a quick lesson on hearing aids please. some of my questions are. Why is there such a HUGE price swing? I have seen them go from about $200 to $4,000 !! Also, I am still quite active. I play softball, run, and race dirtbikes quite a bit. Is it routine to just leave the HA's in when doing these activities?

And finally, What is up with the batteries? Some say they have a 70 hour battery life. So you gotta change the batteries once every two weeks? What about tinnitus? Will a HA get rid of that God for saken humming?

I got mine first set on active duty and have been where them for about 7 years. All of mine have been the Complete in the Ear Canal type.

What about tinnitus? No help.....

Will a HA get rid of that God for saken humming? NO

So you gotta change the batteries once every two weeks? In my experince the smaller the batteries the quicker they die the size 10 bats last much less than the size 312 batts I have now. I change the 312s about once a week.

Also, I am still quite active. I play softball, run, and race dirtbikes quite a bit. Is it routine to just leave the HA's in when doing these activities?

I've had my HAs fall out when in a snowball fight with my son never found it.

Had one fall out while camping and it got stepped on required a new one.

I was working with a large ladder about two weeks ago and it fell when I was trying to set it up it bumped my ear on the way down and knocked one HA we did find it out. :thumbsup:

If you are going to be active like play softball I'd take them out, but they don't ike heat so don't leave them in your car in the summer.

I hate windy days or driving with the windows down with HAs. I miss driving with the windos down.

On that note it hurts to get banged on the ear with them in. :(

If I'm going boating I don't wear them or if think I might get wet.

/ Hearing Aid advice #7  
About the TV.
I recently bit the bullet and paid $120 for a set of Sony wireless headphones because I couldn't understand what the he!! was being said. Not the best solution. I wish I could get more low frequency out of them as that is the range that still works in my hearing.
That being said, it is an improvement. I don't have to ask as often, "What did they say".

/ Hearing Aid advice #8  
I think it was about 1980-82 when I first saw an ENT doctor about my tinnitus (I didn't know what it was at that time). After a hearing test he told me I'd need hearing aids someday, but not yet.

So . . . sure enough, I got my first pair; Beltones that I got in Virginia Beach, VA, on 4/24/92. I was 52 years old and paid $1,630 for the pair. We were full time RVers at the time and after we settled in Navarro County, Texas, a couple of times I had to go to Waco (nearest Beltone dealer) and have one sent in for repair ($100 each time). Then that dealer dropped Beltone because they said Beltone dealers had to only handle Beltone and they handled multiple brands. And that office soon closed.

Next, I did as many "experts" recommend, and went to an ENT doctor's office in Corsicana on 10/24/01 to see his audiologist and bought a pair of Starkey hearing aids for $1,800 for the pair. She assured me they were programmable and I later learned they were nothing more than volume and not programmable at all. In fact, that doctor was retired from the military and nothing but a crook.

So, on 5/30/06, I went to the Beltone dealer in Denton, TX, and bought a pair of really programmable Beltones with 2 programs for $4,588 with a 2 year warranty. I'm still using them. Each has been sent back for repairs once after the warranty expired. The charge is about $250 no matter what the problem is. And any repair comes with either a 6 month or one year warranty. And when the program has needed a little tweaking a couple of times, my dealer does that at no charge.

Now hearing aids do NOT cure or eliminate tinnitus, but do help a little bit.

My first Beltone dealer said battery life depends on ambient noise. She said one of her customers said two weeks unless the grandkids come to visit and then it's 3 days.;) Of course she also said if flushing the toilet sounds like Niagara Falls, you need to turn the volume down a bit.:D Batteries will actually last me 8 or 9 days now no matter what the ambient noise level is. However, to avoid having one go dead at an inconvenient time, I just replace both batteries first thing every Monday morning.

/ Hearing Aid advice #9  
I also need info. Would like something that filter loud and background noise.
Civilian healthcare gave me a very comprehensive hearing test and determined I can't hear in the mid C range (which includes most women and young people, including my wife) and I miss vowels. Offered me a Cochiea implant [ parts of the inner ear - Bing Images ] .
Which I did not have done. I have been embarrassed by what I thought some women have said to me. The VA says I do not have hearing loss, I said "WHAT" she said "YOU DO NOT HAVE HEARING LOSS".
My wife has to interpret for me in all public places when I cannot read lips (some people don't move their lips much when they talk nor do they
enunciate ). When I go out to dinner with a group I am totally out of the conversation which is no fun at all.
Any recommendations??? Brand names would be helpful.

/ Hearing Aid advice #10  
Hearing aids are a very subjective product/process. First, the most important part of the process is getting a GOOD Audiologist. Much more important than the hardware.

Most of the problems with hearing aids is your attitude towards them. If you are willing to take the time and effort to adapt to them then they can work well (not perfect). If you go in with the thought "I don't really need them" "They probably won't help" or other similar thoughts then why bother.

The first time you put them on they will probably sound obnoxious. This is because you will be hearing sounds that your brain has not heard in years. The brain now needs to re-learn the difference between "noise" and "intelligent sound". The brain has an amazing ability to ignore sounds we consider noise. But it takes a while.

Be prepared to re-visit the Audiologist a number of times to get them re-tuned as you adapt to them.

kidr mentioned the "implantable" hearing aid. It is called the Esteem and is about $30,000.

You said that "i don't think I need them". As a test, go have a conversation with a blindfold on. You might be amazed on how much lip reading you are doing to compensate for your loss.

Jack