Portable generator

/ Portable generator #1  

Daryl

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30,, Kubota Bx2360
Looking to buy a portable generator. Do not know anything about them. Would like to have one that I can run saws and general building tools off of. Anyone have one they are happy with.

Thanks
Daryl

/ Portable generator #2  
Daryl,

I've got a Yamaha EF1000 portable generator. I've had it 3 years now with no problems. It's the smallest Yamaha model you can get. I've run electric drills, miter saw, and other small tools. Use it when camping too.

When I was looking, Honda and Yamaha seemed to offer the best, small portables. Both fit my needs, but I found the Yamaha for about $200 less than the Honda.

I think both the Yamaha and Honda websites have a generator sizing application. You can enter in different type of appliances or tools and it will calculate the size generator that you need.

Jim

/ Portable generator #3  
Have had good luck with both DeVilbiss & Generac.

Here are some other things to think about.

1) Honda and other similar "name brands" are very expensive on a dollar/watt ratio. Nothing wrong with them - just pricy. Know folks who have them and they are happy.

2) Lots of other brands out there are made with Tecumseh and Briggs & Stratton engines. Nothing wrong with them either. They will get you a lot better dollar/watt ratio.

3) Consider your future uses. If all you ever will need it for is your circular saw and drill, then you don't need a ton of watts. But, be careful - decide you want to run an air compressor or other item with a bigger drain (or multiple "medium drain" items at once), then you'll need more watts.

4) There are "run" watts and "start" watts each item will draw. In other words, your circular saw will probably use about 1900 watts when you first pull the trigger, but drop down to needing about 1400 after it "gets going."

5) Got a trailer/RV you want to run off of one some times? Get a big one.

6) Portability - simple rule - the more watts it is capable of producing, the more it will weigh. 5K-6K watt models will weigh 150-200 lbs. (Not something you can toss in to the back of your truck very easily. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) The 2K-2.5K watt models will weigh 50-75 lbs. You can get a small highway-rated utility trailer at Harbor Freight for under $200 (different sizes), so if you want a bigger generator and don't want to mess with hoisting it in & out of your vehicle or adding wheels/making ramps, you could always rig you up a "generator trialer."

7) There is a big price jump between the 5K-6K (~10 HP) models and the 7K+ (~11+ HP) models. Mainly due to the engine.

8) Look at run times for a load (often measured at 50%). Will help you decide how often you want to mess with refilling your tank.

9) Depending on the model/brand, I've found the best deals at TSC (which surprised the heck out of me) and at Harbor Freight. Northern Tools also has some good sales every so often.

10) Look at noise. The ones by Honda & friends seem to be quieter for the most part, but you can get lower dB mufflers for the ones that run off of Tecumseh & Briggs & Stratton motors (I've been somewhat disappointed in the "quiet" muffler for the Tecumseh - haven't tried a "quiet" muffler for the B&S.)

These are all just off the top of my head, but hopefully they give you something to start with.

/ Portable generator #4  
We needed a portable for a job we were doing on a house under construction. Ran to SAm's Club and bought a Coleman Powermate 1850, which is actually rated at 1500 watts AC (120v only). It also has a DC circuit. I can pick it up by it's handle and carry it easily. It's several years old now, has been used a good deal, and has never had a problem. Still starts on first pull. I have no idea what engine is in it; I just use it. I can't remember what I paid, but it was somewhere between $250 and $350.

I usually research every purchase. I might have bought something else if I had researched this. But, I hit it lucky - from the time I discovered we needed it until the time it was on the job working was about 35 minutes.

/ Portable generator #5  
I have a 10 year old Coleman (4500 watts)with an 8hp Briggs. It starts well and runs for several hours on a gallon of fuel. It is VERY loud, though. For occasional use, it is just fine. Runs a compressor, circular saw, drills, etc... very well. I've powered a house with it for 4 days(not constantly) during a disaster, but had to be careful not to run too many things at the same time.

If I had to do it over again, I would get one a little larger with a quieter motor(Honda), and a larger fuel tank. The noise gets to you after several hours, and that can add to fatigue over the course of a day on a jobsite. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Portable generator
Looked at a Troybuilt Model 1924. 3550 watts. 5250 surge watts. I think it was $469. Troybuilt makes good stuff but have never heard anything on their generators. Sounds like a good buy though.

Thanks
daryl

/ Portable generator #7  
I bought this one at the home depot. Generac
It ran my furnace, well, fridge, and television during a four day power outage. Now, I use it to run my stick welder out at the barn. Paid $599 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Portable generator #8  
Bought one at Home Depot then a coupla months later saw a combo welder/generator at TSC for only a little more -- wish I'd seen it first. I like stuff that serves more than 1 purpose - seems a better use of money spent.

/ Portable generator #9  
Recently purchased a Yamaha YG6600.
Haven't really put it to the test...but when I was playing and just started plugging various high amp tools into the generator, I could swear it was laughing at me. Only a small tweak of the engine governor to handle the tool motor inrush. Otherwise, it just purred along.
Structurally, very solid. Has the apearance of much higher quality than the Home Depot/Lowe's brands. But, the price (~$1500) reflects that also.
Almost looking forward to a power outage so I can put it to the test!.
Caution: it's heavy. about 200lb. Even more if you keep a battery on it for electric start.

/ Portable generator #10  
http://www.yamahagenerators.com/

BTW, here's where I got my Yamaha.
There's some good info inside comparing Honda to Yamaha.
I know these articles are most likely biased, but these comparisons, and the fact that these Yamaha's are hundreds less than comparable Hondas, was enough to sell me.
RET