Are my parents to strict?

/ Are my parents to strict? #1  

Cub124

Silver Member
Tractor
International Cub Cadet
See if anybody else thinks my parents are to strict. I'm 17 years old and home schooled (I was bullied in elementary school) and also attending vocational school. I'm a good kid, get good grades. My parents are Jehovahs Witnesses and very strict. I can't hangout or do anything with any of my friends that aren't jehovahs witnesses. They search my phone and iPod for anything (bad) and also made me delete my Facebook. Firefighting is my life, so they let me join a local fire department, but only allow me to attend training one night a week and my dad has to go with me. This is only a little bit, I could keep typing but don't want to bore anybody anymore lol

Sorry, I guess this was kind of just me venting a little bit. Any ideas of how I can get them to lighten up a bit and give me more freedom?

/ Are my parents to strict? #2  
Cub124, I would not care to comment on your parents choices, but I would point out you are 17, and soon you will be making choices for yourself. Please make good choices and I am sure you will. Time seems to move faster and faster with each passing year, and it will for you too. Good Luck in life:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ Are my parents to strict? #3  
Any ideas of how I can get them to lighten up a bit and give me more freedom?

Wait one more year and move out on your own. Sadly that is the only way your going to get your freedom as at this point in time I don't really think your going to convince your parents to change how they are. I will think they won't be happy with your leaving but it is a growing process. I grew up with strict parents as well, not quite as strict as yours by the sounds but it takes a while to grow out of that situation. Some call it rebelling but it gets to a point with some parents where you just need to stand up for yourself. But wait till your done with school then get a job, an appartment and start your own life.

/ Are my parents to strict?
k0ua said:
Cub124, I would not care to comment on your parents choices, but I would point out you are 17, and soon you will be making choices for yourself. Please make good choices and I am sure you will. Time seems to move faster and faster with each passing year, and it will for you too. Good Luck in life:thumbsup:

James K0UA

Thanks a lot

Robert_in_NY said:
Wait one more year and move out on your own. Sadly that is the only way your going to get your freedom as at this point in time I don't really think your going to convince your parents to change how they are. I will think they won't be happy with your leaving but it is a growing process. I grew up with strict parents as well, not quite as strict as yours by the sounds but it takes a while to grow out of that situation. Some call it rebelling but it gets to a point with some parents where you just need to stand up for yourself. But wait till your done with school then get a job, an appartment and start your own life.

Thanks. I was thinking about joining the Air Force, but my parents would pretty much disown me if I did. That was going to be my "out" when I turned 18

/ Are my parents to strict? #6  
Thanks. I was thinking about joining the Air Force, but my parents would pretty much disown me if I did. That was going to be my "out" when I turned 18

Its part of the growing process. You can't live your life to meet your parents goals and desires for you. You have to live your life to meet your own goals and desires. If the Air Force is what you want to do and not just an excuse to flee then do it. Your parents will come around eventually, life is too short not to. They may never like your decision but it is your decision to make and that is something they will have to come to grips with.

This conversation has just made me dread my daughter getting older. She is 7 now but it won't be too much longer and she will be wanting to get out :(

Robert_in_NY said:
This conversation has just made me dread my daughter getting older. She is 7 now but it won't be too much longer and she will be wanting to get out :(

Sorry, I didn't mean to get you down.

/ Are my parents to strict? #8  
Joining the Military can be a wonderful choice if you want to do that. But do that because you want to do that not because it is your only way out. Remember it is your choices your future, your life. No one Else's, not even your parents.

James K0UA

k0ua said:
Joining the Military can be a wonderful choice if you want to do that. But do that because you want to do that not because it is your only way out. Remember it is your choices your future, your life. No one Else's, not even your parents.

James K0UA

Yeah. I want to be a firefighter in the Air Force. It being a way out is just a plus.

/ Are my parents to strict? #10  
Yeah. I want to be a firefighter in the Air Force. It being a way out is just a plus.

The my advice would be go for it:thumbsup:

James K0UA