Machu Picchu

/ Machu Picchu
My friend and I bought our airfare yesterday. We where all ready to pay the $844 each and spend 12 hours in an airport in FL, when she did another search of prices. She found it for $816 each and we only have a 3 hour layover in GA going and 2 hours coming back!!!

We land in Lima just before midnight, so we're going to start looking into hotels. First one is going to be close to the airport just to get some sleep.

We'll be looking at our travel books and online sources to come up with what we want to see and do. We leave on a Thursday and come home on a Sunday, so we have 9 full days to see what we can see.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #12  
..........We land in Lima just before midnight, so we're going to start looking into hotels. First one is going to be close to the airport just to get some sleep. .........

There is a nice hotel right next to the Lima airport, but it is an arm and a leg to stay there. We ended up in a hotel in Mira Flores about 1/2 hour away by taxi. We were told to get to the airport hours before the flight, though that did not end up being necessary. Your experience may be different.

There is limited access to Machu Picchu, so get your admission tickets in advance. Last year (100th anniversary) people were literally stranded in Aquas Caliente when gates were closed. We had our hotel in Cusco help us with all tickets - train, bus and admission. If you don't have a Cusco hotel yet, Torre Dorada is fantastic.

/ Machu Picchu #13  
Why July? Seems like it might be kind of hot there in July.......Like Africa hot only more humidity.

/ Machu Picchu #14  
Fantastic trip. If you are even remotely physically able, take the hike not the train.

I met a trekker who walked in to Mach Pichu through the sun gate and cried at the first sight.

I have traveled all over the world and this is the single best destination I have ever visited. It is pristine, no signs, no handicap help, nothing.

I would go back in a hearbeat, but do be careful of pickpockets and do not travel alone.

One other thing, all their travel guides are very well trained, excellent. They require them to be educated and licensed

best of luck

/ Machu Picchu #15  
Machu Pichu...it's in the mountains, Andes.
I was there in Oct. Snow not there, but some of the bus tours we took had residual snow from prior winter season. So, worth making sure you have great windbreakers with some warmth, think layering, and rain proof.

Am glad to see you spending the time you are on the trip, good decision!
You've worked hard, deserve a great trip...relax and you'll enjoy watching the architecture and farms go by.

/ Machu Picchu
Why July? Seems like it might be kind of hot there in July.......Like Africa hot only more humidity.

I was worried it would be the middle of winter there in July, but from what I've read, July is one of the best months to go there.

Machu Picchu travel guide - Wikitravel

"Depending on when you arrive, the site may be quite crowded or nearly deserted. The busiest periods are in the dry season (June-August), "

It also works well with our schedules and the price of airfair. It's easy to pay twice as much to get there, depending on travel dates.

Eddie

/ Machu Picchu
Fantastic trip. If you are even remotely physically able, take the hike not the train.

I met a trekker who walked in to Mach Pichu through the sun gate and cried at the first sight.

I have traveled all over the world and this is the single best destination I have ever visited. It is pristine, no signs, no handicap help, nothing.

I would go back in a hearbeat, but do be careful of pickpockets and do not travel alone.

One other thing, all their travel guides are very well trained, excellent. They require them to be educated and licensed

best of luck

At first the hike over the Inca Trail was what I wanted to do, but the more I look into it, price it out, and debate over four days of hiking compared to four days of exploring new areas, we're going to do the train. There seems to be so much to see there that I already feel like I'm missing out by only being there nine days. We are making lists of what we have to see, what we want to see and what we would like to see.

Eddie

/ Machu Picchu
There is a nice hotel right next to the Lima airport, but it is an arm and a leg to stay there. We ended up in a hotel in Mira Flores about 1/2 hour away by taxi. We were told to get to the airport hours before the flight, though that did not end up being necessary. Your experience may be different.

There is limited access to Machu Picchu, so get your admission tickets in advance. Last year (100th anniversary) people were literally stranded in Aquas Caliente when gates were closed. We had our hotel in Cusco help us with all tickets - train, bus and admission. If you don't have a Cusco hotel yet, Torre Dorada is fantastic.

Torre Dorada is $110 a night. Might go with it, but for now that will be our starting point. Since we don't have a schedule yet, or know what we want to do, or what days we can get tickets into Machu Picchu, I got some work to do!!!

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #19  
Torre Dorada is $110 a night. Might go with it, but for now that will be our starting point. Since we don't have a schedule yet, or know what we want to do, or what days we can get tickets into Machu Picchu, I got some work to do!!!

Thank you,
Eddie

If you haven't yet, read the TripAdvisor reviews on Torre Dorada. They provide free breakfast, shuttle service into and around Cusco city, airport pickup - all free. They will also buy your tickets for you for free and arrange a Cusco and / or Sacred Valley tour with a reliable guide. Their English is excellent.

We took the train from Cusco to Aguas Caliente (Machu Picchu), then the train to Ollantaytambo in the heart of the Sacred Valley. From there we hired a guide with a minivan to tour the rest of the Sacred Valley and drive us back to Cusco. Try to hit a Sunday market if you can time it.

By the way, we flew on Star Peru to Cusco. They don't tack on the Gringo tax to the airfare like some airlines.

/ Machu Picchu #20  
I was worried it would be the middle of winter there in July, but from what I've read, July is one of the best months to go there.

Machu Picchu travel guide - Wikitravel

"Depending on when you arrive, the site may be quite crowded or nearly deserted. The busiest periods are in the dry season (June-August), "

It also works well with our schedules and the price of airfair. It's easy to pay twice as much to get there, depending on travel dates.

Eddie
Your right, the heat won't be an issue. I guess this place is almost 8000 feet above sea level (Machu Picchu}.
The altitude may be a bit of a problem, make sure you have something for a headache.......
Here is the weather from 7-15-2011. It could get into the 30's at Cusco.
History | Weather Underground