Machu Picchu

/ Machu Picchu #21  
Like Travelover, I highly recommend either using the services of hotel or local travel agent to do things like get you local tickets and transport you from place to place. For about ten percent of the price of the tickets, we were moved to the head of all lines, transported around, got on board when we were previously told that we would have to wait a week etc. While you can do many things yourself and save some money, if you are on a trip and want to see a lot and feel safe it is the way to go. I have been to a lot of places but the line ups for the Cuzco flights from Lima were the first time I have seen Nuns pushed aside in a Catholic country:confused2:

/ Machu Picchu
Thank you to everyone for your help. We've been going over everything we can find on what to do and where to stay. It's a bit overwhelming with all the new names to keep track of and places to see.

The plan is to catch a flight to Cuzco the morning we arrive in Lima and spend three days there. We haven't decided what we will do there, just explore and take it easy.

Then we will take the train to Aquas Calientes for three nights. This will give us one afternoon and two full days to see Machu Picchu. I still don't know how to get tickets into Machu Picchu, so that might be a concern. Any thoughts?

Then back to Cuzco for the night and an early morning flight the next day to Lima. We arrive in Lima at noon and will stay the night there. That gives us half a day then a full day in Lima. We fly out of Lima at midnight.

There is still more unknown and hoping for the best then I'm comfortable with, but with as much time as we have, I think we'll figure out plenty of things to see and do. The travel books list all sort of things to see, and we're hoping that the hotels and people we meet wil also have suggestions.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #23  
Eddie, I think you may have allocated too much time at Machu Picchu proper. We got there when it opened (sunrise) and really saw everything by noonish. It is very cool, but not that big.

As I mentioned before, we took the train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and saw some neat stuff in the Sacred Valley with a guide and minivan, then back to Cusco.

This site may answer your ticket question. We had our Cusco hotel buy them for us.

Machu Picchu Tickets and Machu Picchu Entrance Fees - A Guide to Buying your Entrance Ticket to Machu Picchu Peru including detailed information, payment options and Machu Picchu entrance fees

Last edited:
   / Machu Picchu
Thank you for the link Travelover!!!! That is just what I've been needing. The actual website to buy the tickets is a bit confusing, especially with all the options, but the link is really good at explaining it. I need to get my friends passport number, which she said she would get to me tonight, and I will buy the tickets online.

I think you're right that one day is plenty, but I'm not taking any chances and if it rains or something comes up, I'll have another day to make sure I see it. I also don't want to rush, or be in a hurry. Being able to sit and just take it all in is as important to me as seeing everything possible.

Was there anything to see or do in Aguas Calientes?

Is the Sacred Valley closer to Cuzco or Aguas Calientes?

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #25  
I think you have allotted about the right amount of time all along the way.... true, machu pichu proper is not huge by Texas standards....but after you sit and contemplate it for a while...and take a hike to the top of Wanna Pichu...the peak in the background...you'll enjoy just resting up....altitude, remember, and thinking about how they did it so long ago with the tools they had...for a builder like you, you'll marvel and try to figure it out...The people you run into, for the most part, will be pleasant and informative...much literature available for what to go see...walking shoes a must! Much of the interest is just observing the local houses, culture, how people live, make their living, etc...Remember, a trip like this is subject to surprises re weather, health, delays, transportation, etc.... just part of the adventure....plan in advance things like sunglasses, sunscreen, windbreakers, etc..and you will be fine....many people speak sufficient English for you to get along.... fun to observe facial features...the people you see are true Indians, many pure blood...only a few generations removed from the Incas.

Talk to street venders, wander off the immediate tourist trail in towns.....be aware of safety considerations, but your spidey sense will be true to you...

There are various markets in every location...some more tourist oriented, some more local people oriented....a visit to these will show you many things you would not have thought about before....and, try the local delicacy...the local rodent that many keep as pets...and is also consumed...an experience, but if you like squirrel or rabbit, it'll be kinda familiar. Drink plenty of coca tea!!! I looked for any kind of "kick" to it and didn't find it...but am sure it assisted in avoiding altitude sickness.

Let us know how the trip goes....and, again, i recommend both the catacombs and gold museum in Lima. Remember that you can/should keep your guide book with you.....in a case of lack of communication with a cab driver or whomever, you can pull it out and point to a photo or name....of hotel or tourist destination...and recognition is typically instant....remember, thousands of people make this trek annually....it's good for their economy and they know it.

/ Machu Picchu #26  
Was there anything to see or do in Aguas Calientes?
It is a staging area for tourists to see MP, so it is all hotels and restaurants. When we were there there was a religious festival going on with parade and music - pure coincidence.

Is the Sacred Valley closer to Cuzco or Aguas Calientes?

Thank you,
Eddie
The Sacred Valley is between MP and Cusco. See PDF file for map. MP is slightly off the map on the left side.

Attachments

• Sacred Valley Map.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 91
   / Machu Picchu #27  
..............and take a hike to the top of Wanna Pichu...the peak in the background.................

Just a heads up - this hike is now severely restricted to like the first 100 people or something like that. They start lining up at 4 AM to be first.

/ Machu Picchu
Visa shut down my card when I tried using it to purchase my tickets. I spoke to them and they verified that I was actually the one using my card, and I'm told that I should be able to use it now.

While on the phone with fraud protection, I told them that I might use the card while I'm there, so they took down the dates and said that it might not be a problem, but that they still might want confirmation of any purchases that they suspect might be faudulent.

Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #29  
I found transferring money to be the biggest hassle while there. I ended up using my credit union debit card at ATMs mostly. Peruvian businesses don't like credit cards due to much higher fees than in the USA.

/ Machu Picchu #30  
Eddie make sure and do some reading about altitude sickness. Even if you and your friend have never been affected by altitude it can be a hit an miss type of thing. When we use to snow ski a lot I got it one time even though I had never been affected in the past. One trick the clinic at the resort told me was to take low dose aspirin daily for a week or two before a trip. The aspirin thins the blood which helps move the lower levels of oxygen through the body more efficiently.

Have a great trip and I will look forward to photo's when you get back.

MarkV