Machu Picchu

/ Machu Picchu #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
A friend and I are thinking of going to Machu Picchu in July.

We've been looking into it and I'm getting confused. Has anybody been there?

Where does the train go to? and where does the 4 day hike take you if you don't take the train? Is there more then one place?

Thanks,

Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #2  
I have not been there for about twenty five years but the train goes from Cuzco to Machu Picchu and back. The four day hike covers the same territory as the train. There is really nothing but countryside between the two spots. There is a peak above Machu Picchu that the pictures you see are often taken from -- used to be able to climb up there but not sure these days. In the old days there was no accomodation at site so your choice was to rough it or be there and back the same day by train. When I was there in the eighties the Shining Path guerillas were regularly blowing things up so there were a lot less tourists then than there are now:eek:
Get a travel agent in Peru -- they cost very little and get you through line ups and problems. There are many of them in Cuzco.

/ Machu Picchu #3  
I really enjoyed going to Machu Picchu and would recommend the trip to anyone.

To answer your question the train takes you from Cousco straight to Manchu Picchu, there are only two ways into the ruins one is the train and the other way is to hike, however I did the train for the first part and two day hike into the ruins which was really only one long day of hiking and you walk thru the ruins late in the evening and stay in a nice hotel that night and get the full tour of the ruins the next day. Just remember on the way back from Machu Picchu get a taxi from the last stop into Cousco because its a ten minute car ride verses the 2 hour train ride thanks to all the switch backs.

But remember there are very many great day trips out of Cousco that have nothing to do with Machu Picchu and are just as spectaular. stay at least 2 nights at Manchu Picchu if you do go because it is way bigger than any picture can do justice.

/ Machu Picchu
Thank you for the quick reply.

Right now there is airfair from DFW to LIM for $844 each, RT. That seems really cheap.

She bought a travel book and we're going to get together this week to go over ideas and what to do while we're there.

Is there anthing else in the area to see? Can you see everything at Machu Picchu in one day? Or are their other sites to see?

Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #5  
Thank you for the quick reply.

Right now there is airfair from DFW to LIM for $844 each, RT. That seems really cheap.

She bought a travel book and we're going to get together this week to go over ideas and what to do while we're there.

Is there anthing else in the area to see? Can you see everything at Machu Picchu in one day? Or are their other sites to see?

Eddie

My son is there right now traveling on a student's budget. He and his buddy spent a week at Machu Picchu, which is one of his trips highlights. He's been traveling through Peru and Bolivia for the past 2-1/2 months. He says there is so much to do and see that he wishes he had another month for Peru. If you like leaving civilization there are many multi-day trips which you can book depending on your hiking, biking, or boating ability. I expect him back around the 1st of June.

He is using the Lonely Planet Guide book.

/ Machu Picchu #6  
Been there. Train ride...there are two different trains, one taken by locals, with chickens, etc...low cost...other taken by tourists. Ride is amazing, I recommend it. Elevation can/will give people altitude sickness ...gotta spend time there to acclimatize before going to ruins...yes, you can still go to the peak (wanna pichu sp?) next to machu pichu. You sign a book so they know if you dropped off the side of the mountain...no railings or hand holds many places. Frequent showers, cool/cold, take light rain gear, windy..need windbreaker... You can stay at little town very near to the peak...there is great hot spring/swimming there...steamy nights!! Hotel at peak expensive but close....hotels in town reasonable, take bus ride up to Machu Pichu and back.

There is an incredible museum in Lima...somehow combined martial arts and articles from the Inca empire...in gold...you can see the kinds of artifacts melted down and sent back to Spain. I cannot recommend it enough. Best museum I've ever been in. Yes, spend as much time as possible, lots to see. There is a church there that has multiple thousands of people buried..just their bones...immediately UNDER the alter...you can get a ticket and wander thru the catacombs...a must do... nearer my God to Thee!!!

there are numerous bus trips that take you around to see other sites. I found it reasonably safe, but you must NEVER think you are fully safe..pick pockets, etc...gotta use good judgement. You need to see the cathedral in Cousco... built on Inca temple...basement is temple...stones so finely fitted together that you CANNOT feel where one stops and another starts...and these boogers are TONS in size...and no tractors in sight!!

Recommendation.....drink coca tea regularly...it truly DOES help with the altitude sickness...neither I nor my son got it, but we DID get winded easily. I spent my 55th birthday on Wanna Pichu...had local delicacy, ginne (sp) pig, that night. Served in tact...er..intact

Be sure and eat some of the local corn...it's where modern corn comes from...amazingly large ears...you just gotta see them to believe.

Ah, good memories!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: PM me if questions...

/ Machu Picchu #7  
I've been there twice - most recently last year.

Definitely take some time to see the Sacred Valley, which is right there. A trip to the Amazon is amazing and not that far from Cusco.

This website is a great resource. Andean Travel Web Guide to Peru - Peru Tourist Information

I booked all my plane tickets, train tickets and hotels on line and it saved a bunch of money and made the trip more enjoyable. If you want some specific recommendations, PM me.

/ Machu Picchu
You guys are great. THANK YOU!!!!

We're having dinner tonight and going over what we've come up with so far. It sounds like there is more to see and do there then I imagined.

I'm getting excited.

Eddie

/ Machu Picchu #9  
An idea...my son and I like to do things ourselves. So, when we arrived at Lima airport we negotiated with cab driver (we speak Spanish and he spoke quite reasonable English) to take us around to see the sights...on our schedule...kept him for entire day, so, we spent no time waiting for others to finish a tour...we just went from spot to spot...it was he who took us to the wonderful museum and the cathedral with the catacombs. We did both in one afternoon along with some other things,. Also negotiated the flight to Cusco (a bit dicey since it's typically fully booked). There is a hotel, don't recall name, right on the square in Cusco...recommend it because sooooo many things are in walking distance from it (know you are in good shape, but trust me walking is something of an effort at this altitude).... the cathedral, market, eating places...and when you get tired, a quick stroll back to rest up for the next outing. ..We are happy with plain accommodations and hunt for the various sights and trips and experiences unique to the area. Take camera.....even the people wandering around are picturesque.

/ Machu Picchu
My son is there right now traveling on a student's budget. He and his buddy spent a week at Machu Picchu, which is one of his trips highlights. He's been traveling through Peru and Bolivia for the past 2-1/2 months. He says there is so much to do and see that he wishes he had another month for Peru. If you like leaving civilization there are many multi-day trips which you can book depending on your hiking, biking, or boating ability. I expect him back around the 1st of June.

He is using the Lonely Planet Guide book.

Please update me when he gets back on how his trip went.

I went to the Lonely Planet website and they wanted $24 for the book. Amazon has it for $16, so I ordered it and will have it this week. I have to Foders book on Peru that I'm reading right now.

Eddie