What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you?

/ What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
A newbie here started a thread stating TBN was kind of lame because nobody seemed to be helpful answering his queries in his original post. Another member recently replied to him saying this forum isn't all about GETTING information, but it is also about GIVING information, and perhaps if the newbie was willing to help others here instead of griping about the lack of information given him, perhaps he would get more responses.

Okay now, if you post a thread here that asks for help or information, whose responses are you going to give more credibility to, a member that had belonged here for five years and made maybe 3,000 posts, or a member who just joined last month and has 100 posts? Or are you going to give both of those members an equal amount of credibility despite the disparity in their contributions here?

/ What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #2  
I would give the most credibility to the poster with the highest post count... Only kidding! :laughing:

Seriously, I would give the most credibility to the poster who had replied in good detail and was polite.

/ What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #3  
If the person has 100 or 3000 post doesn't matter,for that person took time to reply...after short time on TBN one should sense goodness and honesty.

/ What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #4  
It depends right? ;)

Actually I think its about the answers or questions that makes sense to make head or tails about your situation. I also think that the longer you are here on TBN as a lurker or contributor, you would already know who you prefer to listen to or take with a grain of salt. I am not going to mention names, but there are alot of TBN'ers that I trust or use as a direction to figure things out next. ( I just hate to leavee one out due to failing memory :laughing: :thumbsup:

/ What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #5  
... whose responses are you going to give more credibility to, a member that had belonged here for five years and made maybe 3,000 posts, or a member who just joined last month and has 100 posts?

The 3000 post member may have more time on the computer than in the field, while the 100 post member may have been doing what he posts about for 50 years.

I don't have any opinion based on post count.

Bruce

/ What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #6  
It depends right? ;)

Actually I think its about the answers or questions that makes sense to make head or tails about your situation. I also think that the longer you are here on TBN as a lurker or contributor, you would already know who you prefer to listen to or take with a grain of salt. I am not going to mention names, but there are alot of TBN'ers that I trust or use as a direction to figure things out next. ( I just hate to leavee one out due to failing memory :laughing: :thumbsup:
Of course I'm one you highly trust, right ? :laughing:

/ What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #7  
The 3000 post member may have more time on the computer than in the field, while the 100 post member may have been doing what he posts about for 50 years.

I don't have any opinion based on post count.

Bruce

I agree. Some of the most useful posts are the ones from the low posters. Not saying that the high posters don't know what they are talking about, because they usually do as well. If someone takes time to thoroughly explain the problem/solution I take their advices as credible no matter the count.

/ What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #8  
I agree. Some of the most useful posts are the ones from the low posters. Not saying that the high posters don't know what they are talking about, because they usually do as well. If someone takes time to thoroughly explain the problem/solution I take their advices as credible no matter the count.
Totally agree Al!

/ What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #9  
I have seen posters that have demonstrated accuracy in their reply. That lends credibility.

Sometimes it a consensus that helps lead someone in the right direction. If everybody says to check the fuel filter its a good place to start.

So I guess it takes giving sound accurate advice to develop your
TBN Cred (TractorByNet Credibility).:D

Last edited:
   / What makes a TBN member's advice more credible to you? #10  
A newbie here started a thread stating TBN was kind of lame because nobody seemed to be helpful answering his queries in his original post. Another member recently replied to him saying this forum isn't all about GETTING information, but it is also about GIVING information, and perhaps if the newbie was willing to help others here instead of griping about the lack of information given him, perhaps he would get more responses.

Okay now, if you post a thread here that asks for help or information, whose responses are you going to give more credibility to, a member that had belonged here for five years and made maybe 3,000 posts, or a member who just joined last month and has 100 posts? Or are you going to give both of those members an equal amount of credibility despite the disparity in their contributions here?

There are a number of folks on TBN whom I consider to be intellectually honest. Many of those are very intelligent too, and well trained/educated to boot. Normally, I can pick the correct answer to my questions out of a line-up, but if the question is so complicated that I can't trust my ability to pick the correct answer (I am clueless,) I will consider the intellectual honesty and qualifications of the poster. Fortunately, TBN is a pretty safe place for the occasional "clueless."

We are brave and bold to post on a tractor forum, given the number people who start a thread with a question, and then die mysteriously. Surely they would have posted back "It worked! Thanks!" had they not died of a massive coronary from the excitement of their tractor being fixed.

Edit: I answer newbies, and I am happy to. If they decide not to stick around, I think that is a mistake, but I can respect the decision. All I ask is that they complete the thread they started by stating the outcome.