Garden pictures

/ Garden pictures #1  

red belly

Tractor
1953 Ford NAA Jubilee
By this time your garden should be in full swing no matter what part of the country you live. Lets see pictures of crops and how you use your tractor on the garden. I'll post my pictures soon, but for now here is my written list. I put out one garden 75' by 30' or so and another 30' by 20' give our take. Do all my tillage and cultivating between the rows with a17" Craftsman rear tine tiller. I make rows with a disk hiller I made from ideas on here. Before I till in the spring I plow under my cover crop with two 14" bottom plows and a 6' disk harrow. I dog my root vegetables with a middle buster and occasionally break up the hard pan with a sub soiler. All this is done with a rusty old 53 NAA that runs like a new one.

/ Garden pictures #2  
Well, not in "full swing everywhere", quite yet. :laughing:

Memorial Day is our official-unofficial opening day. I've got about everything planted, seeds that is, but 1/2 the ground is still allotted for all the transplanting yet to come.

Crazy weather isn't helping. No rain. Night before last was 24F and tough frost. We're in the 80's today and dry as dust. 90F slated for the entire weekend. UGH.

100 peppers, 100 tomatoes, 100 each of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower still in pots and trays. Need a cool, over-cast, rainy day. Maybe next week?

Yet, we carry on.

/ Garden pictures #3  
Mine isn't qiute that big I think it is about 50 by 30. I did use the single bottom plow behind the 2N this spring and then used the big tiller behind my brother-in-laws 4wd ford (I don't have disk). Then using the Troy-built reartine tiller to make this clay finer, and a high wheel cultivator to make my rows. I have a few more rows of beans to get in and a few cucumbers then the planting will be done.

Randy

/ Garden pictures
I'm in southern illinois and we have had odd weather as well. We got everything out super early this march but the problem is getting to be now the same dry weather that helped us get everything out is turning into a drought! No significant rain all winter. I've been watering since late March! Funny you say it's just time to transplant and we planted sweet potatoes Monday!

/ Garden pictures #5  
Here is ours from middle TN. Picture is just after some rain.

image-3197448880.jpg

/ Garden pictures
We do onions, sweet corn, sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, broccoli, cucumbers, strait neck yellow squash, zucchini, bush beans, purple hull peas, watermelon, cantaloupe, okra, tomatoes, ground cherries, brussel sprouts, sweet Hungarian peppers and Marconi sweet Italian peppers. I don't think I missed anything!

/ Garden pictures #7  
We have two small gardens. One, about 15 by 60 feet is for potatoes, corn and onions. It's tilled by an inverted box blade on my CUT. The other garden is about 50 by 20 and uses a lot of raised beds for tomatoes, bell peppers, squash, cantaloupe, beets, broccoli, water melon and some vine sweet potatoes. I'm gradually moving to no-till.

/ Garden pictures
How does no till work in a garden? I've heard of it but I don't get the details of it

/ Garden pictures #10  
How does no till work in a garden? I've heard of it but I don't get the details of it

You build good soil - particularly with good compost - and it stays soft and crumbly. I remove all dead vegetation at the end of the season and - sometimes - mulch with old hay. In the spring I rake off the mulch and -voila - the soil is soft and ready to plant. I use a hoe to dig as necessary. I usually give the plants a bit of spring sun for a few weeks, then mulch again. Seems to work. I only use a minimum of fertilizer for the specific plant.

I built my soil with my tractor FEL... Combining rich, sandy black soil from the creek area with the wonderful forest topsoil I had saved in building my long driveway. With regular compost amendments, it grows just about anything.