Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Default PICK EM UP - Real Recycling

This was my Grandfather's place. He started working on it sometime in the 1950's when in his 70's. Lived out there until passing away at 103 years old.

Every building there was made from used material and the house (picture later) was moved out there in the 60's. It is now over 100 years old.

He worked until almost 100. One of his last jobs was building 6 Stage Coaches for "Old Tucson". When the last 1 was finished, he told me "That's the last damm contract I'm gona take. If they want any more they will just have to meet my Price."

The wheel shop was used to rebuild Iron Tire Wagon wheels. There was a Tire Shrink over by the forge. Once scanned I have some pictures of it in use and wheels being mounted.

Late in life his birthday became a big deal. Often the state Governor and / or congressman would show up along with around a 100 other folks. People were ask to bring something to throw into the Stew Pot. What came out of it was called SOB Stew.

My sister moved out there about 15 years ago and hasn't thrown anything away since moving there. So every shed and work shop is full of Junk & Trash.

Maybe this type of recycling goes a little beyond saving a few beer cans and plastic bottles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-tack-room.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-wood-shop.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-black-s-shop.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-bunk-house.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-harness-shop.jpg  

PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-paint-shed.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-wagon-shed-wood-storage.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-wheel-shop.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-tire-forge.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-stew-pot.jpg  

::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Tractor
    Sears Garden Tractor with home built loader

Default Re: PICK EM UP - Real Recycling

Wow. That is so cool. I love old Buildings and old things. Wish I were there too see that in person.

Beautiful I say. Absolutely Beautiful.

Chad

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by chad22 View Post
    Wow. That is so cool. I love old Buildings and old things. Wish I were there too see that in person.

Beautiful I say. Absolutely Beautiful.

Chad
    Some day when your Resting, come on out.
    Just a hop, skip & a Jump and you are here.

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

I would have loved to sat down and spent hours talking with him.
    "When selling a lifetime ... don't sell it short"
    auctioneer@southernauctionco.com

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    I would have loved to sat down and spent hours talking with him.
    You could have spent months listening to him. I heard his stories all my life and never got tired of them. All most everyone loved him.

Here are a few pictures that you might enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-10-snow.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-az-hw-1.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-birthday.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-wedding.jpg  

Tractor

Thanks ... I truly liked the fact he got married again at age 97 !!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Thanks ... I truly liked the fact he got married again at age 97 !!
    Here some more pictures that you may enjoy.

Sorry but I had to sneak in a picture of me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-az-hw-2.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-grandad-1970.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-bud-brn-mule.jpg  

Tractor
    Sears Garden Tractor with home built loader

Cool. Thanks for the added pics. Love the pic of you too.

Chad

Tractor

Well Buddy ... your also a mule skinner!!!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Well Buddy ... your also a mule skinner!!!
    Cool. Thanks for the added pics. Love the pic of you too.

Chad
    I've always said "I've fallen off better horses than most people have ridden."

We had a lot of good horses and mules. If the picture can be found have 1 of me on our mule "Susie Q" when I was about 2. Her and sort of grew up together. Pretty sure she lived well into the 1960's.

Suzie Q was quite the mule, she hated Dud's. Every 2 or 3 years dad would put a dud on her. Within 200 yards of the coral she would unload him.

She unloaded me 1 day. Saddle & all, had about a 3' jump up in the trail when she jumped the cinch broke. Left me sitting in the trail looking stupid, still had my hand out like I was holding the rains.

Since you guys didn't throw rocks at me over the picture of myself, I'll post another 1 or 2.

"Nosy" colt in picture was pretty much my horse. (Dad always said she was my sister Judy's.) I was the only 1 that rode him until he was 3 or 4. We had a few little go round's. Nothing serious.

Picture at "Mikes Coral" was taken for some magazine. Grandad called the school and had them send me up there for the picture.

Picture with the "OK Coral" sign in it was actually at the black smith shop at "Pick Em Up".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-clell-nosy.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-buddy-1946.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-buddy-mikes.jpg   PICK EM UP - Real Recycling-grandad-ok.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast