South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation

/ South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation #11  
When I was teaching and we had to work graduations, it went from sadness for the next graduate who was announced after the cheering started and no one heard, to air horns being blasted in a crammed auditorium, and finally resulted in the caps being changed from a cardboard insert to foam when graduates got nailed by the graduates slinging them like frisbees at the end of the ceremony.

Applause - appropriate and do it for as many recieving diplomas as your hands can take. Screaming, catcalls, horns, whistles, etc - save it for the greet and meet after the ceremony or outside.

I don't know what the procedure was on this graduation, but SOP when a student or family created a problem at graduation where I was at - Give each student a blank degree folder- they come back to turn in gown,hat/whatever and are given actual diploma. If you/your group created a problem, you and your family could get yours after a "meet and greet" with the principal the week after graduation.

/ South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation #12  
When graduated HS I was 3rd from the last name called. My brothers knew this and rigged up 3 truck air horns to a co2 tank in my sister inlaws bag. THey rattled the gym. We did have limited cheering each student got applause.

/ South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation
   / South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation #15  
Is this not a link to a different version of the same story that the OP posted? I can't get the OP link to open, but I believe this is the same one - the location in the story is the same (Florence, SC). Why it was picked up by a Cincinnati affliate, I have no idea.

Given the volume of thousands and thousands of HS graduations each year and very few make the news in such a fashion, I'm not convinced this is a problem of epidemic proportions.

/ South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation #16  
Why it was picked up by a Cincinnati affliate, I have no idea.

The SC incident by the OP and the Cincinnati incident posted by me are two separate cases.

/ South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation #17  

Given the volume of thousands and thousands of HS graduations each year and very few make the news in such a fashion, I'm not convinced this is a problem of epidemic proportions.

A couple of coworkers had kids graduate recently at different schools. The schools all had policies in place to hold the cheering until the end. Why? It allows all of the graduates their time on stage without being interrupted. Simple courtesy. It also gets the graduation over much faster. One of the ceremonies was over in an hour which I thought was very fast.

I know some schools are having to rent large venue's for graduation to handle all of the people. I have heard of some schools with 800 kids in graduation class. If each graduate has four guests, which is not many, the school might need to rent a venue. I suspect in those cases the school might have to clear the building by a certain time because another school is showing up for their graduation.

Later,
Dan

/ South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation #18  
What I find the most interesting in this thread is to see the responses from people to the issue. Some individuals who have left certain impressions of the way they think and act in previous threads (totally unrelated issues to this thread) have a fascinating correlation to the impression they have left me with as to their societal philosophies in this thread. There really are two different camps of people in this world and they are never going to agree.

/ South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation #19  
I was born and raised in the North, but have now spent over half of my 63 years in the South. I suspect the problem is more prevalent in the South... at least that has been my experience. I only point that out, since I think it may explain the differences in opinion seen so far in this thread. I think you have to "see it" to understand it. I have 3 sons that have graduated from southern public schools, and I have seen this issue first hand. The problem isn't "cheering"... it is loud disruptive comments, screaming, and rude behavior that takes away from the ceremony, and often drowns out the announcement of subsequent graduates. Unfortunately this rude and disrespectful behavior seems to come from a certain segment of the population. I applaud the school district in question for taking the action they did.

/ South Carolina Woman Arrested For Cheering Too Loudly at Daughter's Graduation #20  
I agree with westbrooklawn, my hometown has the same problem with the disruptive behavior. If it was a simple cheer from parents it would not be bad. But it is a large group of people screaming at the top of their lungs that a certain person is walking across the stage. They carry on for so long that it drowns out the next person being announced. It happened to me when I walked, sucked. When I brought my wife to my sisters graduation I warned her about what she was going to experience. She did not understand until after the graduation was over what I was trying to tell her. To this day she still tells people about that night and how she could not understand how people would act that way. I am glad they are trying to cut down on the nonsense.