Turning folks down.

/ Turning folks down. #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
The other day I was a t a friends garden center and a relative and her new husband stopped me. THey wanted me to do a feild line for them at eac of their parents houses. I told them that I wasnt really interested as I was busy with work and I had a lot of other promised work and needed to do alot of things here myself. I tried to be nice and I told them that it would be laterin the fall when my market farm was done. They both looked a little aggravated. I just told them that I didnt have time and was getting out of the septic business. Both stated that they would help lay the pipe. THey didnt seem to get the point that I didnt want to do it right now. THen the husband made a remark about another friend. He said that I bet youd come running if it was them. THat hacked me off. I justtold him I didnt have time for him either. THey just didnt seem to get the point that between 40 to 60 hours of being in the hot sun all day and mechanicing, and farm work and the fact I want to spend time with my kid and work on the house.

Dad installed that system in 1964 just a few weeks over 48 years ago. I told them that they would need a new concrete tank and the lines were clay tile back then. I didnt keep my install liscence.

/ Turning folks down. #3  
It is apparent that you are aggravated and I personally don't blame you. I admire you for retaining your composure after the wise crack remark. If the relative's new husband continues to approach you in regards to the project, why not suggest to him that he get a second job and hire a septic service to perform the work? Just a thought. Reminds me of having a pickup available. When a person has a pickup truck, it seems that everyone wants you to help them with hauling something. Best wishes. Take time to spend with your Family. BTW, Happy Father's Day.

/ Turning folks down. #4  
My mother had a very appropriate answer to your situation and the comment that was made to you. She would have said "you need to consider the source", meaning the problem was the person making the comment and you shouldn't let their problems worry you.

I too work a lot of hours in my regular job, plus spend a lot of time making things and repairing things for my rental property, my livestock, my tractor, a charity I volunteer for, and on and on. A while back I was welding on my feed hopper in my driveway and one of my friends who lives in the neighborhood saw me and stopped to look at it. While here he told me he had bent the tongue on his utility trailer and maybe I could fix it when I get a chance. I told him to bring it over in a about 2 years as I thought I would be caught up then. I then told him that I was real busy and that maybe when I am doing a smaller welding project I could get to it, but I never promised him anything. He (unlike your relative) was understanding and said "no big deal, I know how busy you are".

A couple of weeks later I was buying a high end bicycle off of the same neighbor and I offered him $200 less for it than he was asking. He said he would take it if I fixed his trailer tongue. Since I would have eventually fixed his trailer for free anyway and he probably would have took the offer anyway it seemed like a good deal for both of us. It took me about 1/2 to fix his trailer, I got my new bike he got his trailer fixed and everybody was happy.

/ Turning folks down. #5  
It is apparent that you are aggravated and I personally don't blame you. I admire you for retaining your composure after the wise crack remark. If the relative's new husband continues to approach you in regards to the project, why not suggest to him that he get a second job and hire a septic service to perform the work? Just a thought. Reminds me of having a pickup available. When a person has a pickup truck, it seems that everyone wants you to help them with hauling something. Best wishes. Take time to spend with your Family. BTW, Happy Father's Day.

My cousin's got a big truck he uses for projects alot...he has a bumper sticker on it that says,

"YES, THIS IS MY TRUCK. NO, I WONT HELP YOU MOVE." :laughing:

/ Turning folks down. #6  
<snip> THen the husband made a remark about another friend. He said that I bet youd come running if it was them. THat hacked me off. I justtold him I didnt have time for him either. <snip>

Comments like that make it very difficult for me to keep my composure. I would have shot my mouth off and said something like "Darn right I would, but he'd know better than to ask twice. You may now be a relative but that doesn't make you my boss or friend".

It seems like down here when some people become relatives they think they can ask anything. But I have found that often it's the female relative that will encourage a new spouse to ask for "favors". I don't know how many times my wife has urged me to borrow the BIL's truck. I know he would let me but unless it was an emergency it isn't right.

For others it's "What's mine is theirs and what's theirs is theirs alone".

/ Turning folks down. #7  
Here is a quote that expresses how I feel about those sort of confrontations.

Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.
But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad than it is with the leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please this won't take long." Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time a�nd squawk for more!
So learn to say No a�nd to be rude about it when necessary. Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you.
(This rule does not mean that you must not do a favor for a friend, or even a stranger. But let the choice be yours. Don't do it because it is "expected" of you.)
― Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

/ Turning folks down. #8  
newbury said:
Comments like that make it very difficult for me to keep my composure. I would have shot my mouth off and said something like "Darn right I would, but he'd know better than to ask twice. You may now be a relative but that doesn't make you my boss or friend".

It seems like down here when some people become relatives they think they can ask anything. But I have found that often it's the female relative that will encourage a new spouse to ask for "favors". I don't know how many times my wife has urged me to borrow the BIL's truck. I know he would let me but unless it was an emergency it isn't right.

For others it's "What's mine is theirs and what's theirs is theirs alone".

Weird? My wife is exactly the opposite. She won't let me accept favors when they are offered, but she sure is liberal with offering me up to do favors for others.

/ Turning folks down.
I probably would have lost it but I wa at a friends busness and there were customers and kids around. Theres a little more to the story to. Her brother and dad were good friends but the brother was a drunk. He came to the house one night drinking and dad asked him to leave. He tried to knife dad in the yard. Dad got us in the house and got the shot gun while this guy was outside with a gun. He left before dad could take care of him. THat was aboput 25 years ago. He is sneaky about vandalizing machinery and lives next to the location. She asked if dad would do it and I said probably not being hes nearly 70 and doesnt have the equipment. SHe had the nerve to say cant you loan him your machinery. I jut told them that I had everything leased to the landfill. They didnt really want the 4 names of the folks I gave them that do septic work I got the feeeling they wanted a free job.

I grew up to my dad not being able to tell someone no and he didnt spend alot of time with us. He did it as favors but most of the time it wasnt returned. I guess I dont want to go that route with my daughter.

/ Turning folks down. #10  
As an industrial electrician I get the same questions a couple times a week form "friends" that are home owners.

I start with you cant afford me! usually a blank stare from the "friend"

I throw out a price that I can sub it out and still make $$$$$money and remind them that insurance copper and fuel costs are sky rocketing and Im busy for 2 months out. and if there is an increase they have to cover that too.

tom