Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
We are in the early stages of making an addition to our house, and we've been in the process of purchasing materials. I have to admit that I like the convenience of one-stop shopping that is available at Lowes/HD, but I also like to try to support locally owned stores so that hopefully I'll have them as an option on future projects. However, recent experiences have turned me away from the local stores.

In one instance, I found a really nice, big round topped window on a local classified ad site and the contact was a lumber yard in a town an hour away. I called the lumber yard and spoke to a gruff fella who confirmed the availability of the window, and I proceeded to purchase it over the phone (based on prices of windows I had looked at, this is probably a $1200 to $1500 window for sale for $300 - it was one that had been ordered and not used and had set around for 2 years). Anyway, I go over to pick it up on Saturday. When I walk in the store, there is a fella behind the counter playing on his cell phone. I say "Good morning - how's it going?". The fella briefly looks up, says nothing, goes back to playing on his phone. I begin to wonder if he works here - but he is setting behind the counter next the register. After a few more moments, he finishes, looks back up and says "Whattaya need?". I explain that I bought the window from the ad and am here to pick it up - he directs me to back my trailer up to a certain overhead door, so I go do that.

When I had talked tot he fella on the phone, he said they had lots of doors and windows available similar to my window - i.e. new old stock. We go in the building to get my window and there are lots of doors/windows stacked around. I ask this guy if this is there selection of windows/doors available, and he acknowleges that they are. After loading the window on my trailer, he just walks away without a word.

Now there were several items that I looked at, and had some interest in, but not enough to deal with that guy again. As much as I would like to support a local business, I'm not going to tolerate that kind of service.

Later in the week, I needed to pick up some 20' long lumber - in my area, Lowes and HD don't carry anything longer than 16'. So I call the local yard and they confirm that they have it. I ask what time they close and there is a pause and then they say "oh, about 10 after 4". It thought to myself that is a very odd closing time. It turns out they close at 4:30, but don't really want to do anything for the last 20 minutes of the day.

By contrast, my recent interactions with Lowes and HD have been fantastic - I've been helped by friendly people in each store and have had no problem getting quotes, special orders, and deliveries arranged.

I would have expected that smaller stores would try to compete with the big-box stores via friendly customer service, but at least in these instances, that does not appear to be the case.

I will also say that our local Ace Hardware store is still my preferred place for the items that they have available (plumbing, electrical, hardware, etc.), they just have limited selections of other building materials. However, their customer service and knowledge of their products is outstanding, and I always leave feeling very happy with my transaction.

That's just my rant - sorry if it went on too long. I may be the exception that has good luck with the big box stores, but I have enjoyed the business that I have had with them recently, and am disappointed in the smaller places.

Good luck and take care.

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience #2  
You had a bad experience with one local vendor. I find that the opposite is generally true; I'm much happier buying from the local lumber yards than going to Lowes or HD. The big box store personnel are sometimes poorly trained, don't know anything about the various trades and usually are just waiting to go home. Not always, but often enough to steer me towards mom and pop shops.
Ace Hardware is often very good to deal with, regardless of being franchised. They also have a surprising variety of hardware, so I don't always have to go to Fastenal.

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience #3  
Our local place is so high in price that I can actually buy lumber from lowes/hd and have them deliver it to me for cheaper then I can buy it at my local store. I will run down there for "emergency" items but if I need something in bulk or can wait for it I travel.

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience #4  
Our local place is so high in price that I can actually buy lumber from lowes/hd and have them deliver it to me for cheaper then I can buy it at my local store. I will run down there for "emergency" items but if I need something in bulk or can wait for it I travel.

Have seen this often. Hardware (nuts,bolts, etc, both stock the same brand) is 2/3 the price at Lowes that it is at the local lumberyard and if I go to Tractor Supply, it is 1/2 the price of the lumberyard prices (different brand though).

Aaron Z

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience #5  
I shop Lowes a lot... They give a discount for their own credit card. HD I have had trouble with, and their overall corporate philosophy appears weak. The locals are really focused on local contractors, not the private person with smaller needs. Their prices are higher for me, but lower for contractors. I can understand how that makes sense, but it does drive me to Lowes who has contractor discounts but seems more attuned to the little guy too.

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience #6  
Its all about management. One thing about a large corp. they realize service is important and won't tolerate poor service. I am actually willing to put up with some problems if I think the employee is making an effort and trying to help me. There is a local grocery store that has excellent service, its a somewhat regional chain called Hy Vee. When someone actually says "can I help you", they act like they actually mean it. This starts at the top, and it works its way down to the newest person, and I'm sure they drill it in there heads.

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience
I shop Lowes a lot... They give a discount for their own credit card. HD I have had trouble with, and their overall corporate philosophy appears weak. The locals are really focused on local contractors, not the private person with smaller needs. Their prices are higher for me, but lower for contractors. I can understand how that makes sense, but it does drive me to Lowes who has contractor discounts but seems more attuned to the little guy too.

This is what I see at the local yards to, which does make sense, but it also drives me away. It seems to me that it doesn't cost anymore to offer good, friendly service to everyone. And I don't mind that contractors that do a large volume of business get better prices - that just makes sense. However, I just dropped about $10,000 at Home Depot for lumber because not only were they cheaper than the local yards, but easier to work with as well. HD also waived the delivery fee, whereas a delivery fee was included on the local yards bids. One of the local yards is less than 5 miles from my house and HD is about 60 miles away. That part didn't make sense to me at all.

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience
You had a bad experience with one local vendor. QUOTE]

In fairness, I had bad experiences with two local vendors (I don't think I was clear on that). The window place and the lumber place were two different businesses. It was the frustration with having two separate bad experiences in less than a week that spurned me to start this thread.

And again, I can't say enough good things about my local Ace stores, so I know that there are certainly some local businesses that offer great service. I will willingly pay higher prices at Ace than Lowes or HD simply because of the quality of service.

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience #9  
One thing that I have noticed is that at HD and Lowes, the employees have been taught, even mandated, to make eye contact and ask if you need help. Nothing infuriates me more than to get the old eyes down, "I don't see you" treatment. Even worse is two employees clearly shooting the breeze and ignoring you. Half the time the big box employees have no idea what they are talking about, but at least they don't ignore you (as much).

Small places are all over the place in terms of service. The good ones are good and the bad ones are bad. I go back to the good ones, skip the bad.

/ Lowes/Home Depot vs. small local stores - recent experience #10  
If Lowes wasn't in my town I wouldn't be able to afford anything. The local places are nearly double the price if Lowes.

As for service, it is mixed here, some are great, but it'll cost you in prices, some you pay extra for worse services, making it a no brainer to shop elsewhere.

I find the difference between family owned and family run. Family run means the most useless, lazy kid is behind the counter, and he knows he can't get fired.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TractorByNet