A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #31  
And don't forget the Bathtub! Lots of people get real damaged in one of them.

Egon

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase
<font color="blue"> I do think they could have found some better glasses </font>

Robert,

I'm assuming you mean better looking or more attractive or at least less hideous glasses. That was my point, exactly. You can dress safely without looking like Evel Knievel. I have found leathers that are far less theatrical in appearance (at least to me). Nothing fancy at all. All black.

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #34  
Thanks, I should have double checked the link. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Take care.

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #35  
"found leathers that are far less theatrical in appearance (at least to me). Nothing fancy at all. All black. "

Recently went on a ride that occurs here every month where hundreds of cycles make a trek to a small town east of here. Long ago a small restarant owner told some bikers that if they would come there to eat he would give them a discount. Well, now hundreds if not several thousand bikes show up, the restarant is very tiny so the real purpose is to walk around and socialize and look at all the bikes. Anyway, I noticed a strange baffled look on many people and lot's of swiveling necks. It seems everyone was dressed in black. Once seperated from your group you were lost in a sea of bikers in black leather--frightening. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. J

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #36  
Vanson makes some nice stuff - as flashy or subdued as you like.

For the classic look (no armor, though), Thurlow is it. Looks like they scanned catalogue images from the 70's to make their web site.

I use a relatively inexpensive, armored, textile jacket.

<font color="blue"> "Once separated from your group, you were lost in a sea of bikers in black leather" </font>

Yeah, but I'm usually a head taller than 95% of any group unless it's an NBA team. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Typically that'll give me a good field of vision to find people and an even better chance of being found (whether or not I want to be). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #38  
Catching up on posts as I've been too busy to spend much time online lately ... and your post caught my attention, Gary.
You'll likely remember that my wife decided I should get a new Wing and I ended up going down to Chicago last June and picking up a 2002 ABS Pearl Orange GL1800.
Well ... late April, I had my first real opportunity to enjoy it. I've been riding it whenever possible ... it was great fun after riding my '82 Aspencade for 20 years ... but never did anything other than "rides" (GWRRA = ice cream rides) and riding it to work.
However, I managed to invite myself on a "guy's only" ride down to Pigeon Forge ... there were 8 of us ... 7 Wings (2 1800's, the rest 1500's) and one Valk. Took 2 days to go down (those oldtimers take it WAY too easy /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif ) ... and then we got into riding. Deal's Gap ... what a blast ... first time I've ever had an opportunity to ride roads like that. They tell me there's others as good or better .... but when you ridden prairie roads most of your life ... 318 curves in 11 miles is FANTASTIC .... the 1800 really behaves like a sports bike ... I was throwing it around like it was a powderpuff!
Most of the time it was the 2 1800's and the Valk ... the other guys weren't as interested in full days as we were (one day we put on over 310 miles in the hills!). I got into the "groove" so much that everytime I slowed down, it seemed like I was crawling ... then I'd look at the speedo and see I was doing 40 mph ... couldn't keep from grinning.
The interesting thing to me ... and now I'm getting to why I jumped on your post ... was an observation I made. There was a Goldwing rally in Pigeon Forge TN and a Harley rally over the mountain in Cherokee, NC. And the observation that I made was: Goldwings pull trailers and Harley's ride on trailers. I found it highly amusing to be riding the Skyway and see a group of Harley's followed by a pickup and trailer. Or to see all the bike-hauling trailers parked at all the motels in and around Cherokee. Whereas most of the Wing riders at the Wing rally were 2-up and pulling trailers. Very few bike haulers in evidence ... even the folks bringing their show bikes were riding them. Actually ... my bike felt kind of "naked" ... only 2 of the bikes in our group of 8 were without a trailer. (I ride light).

Definitely going back there ... you can do REAL riding ... and also planning a trip this fall (unless I get vetoed by the CFO) down to northeast Arkansas where there's supposed to be some more technical roads!

BTW ... if you don't want to be thinking of getting a new bike ... particularly a Wing ... at this time ... DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go and take one for a test ride. The riding devil will get ahold of you and you'll just have to have one (and btw ... the orange ones are the fastest /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

pete

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #39  
<font color="blue"> Hopefully I won't get the chance to compare how difficult they are to pick up. </font>

had a chance to find out. We were all pulling out a gas station to get back on 23 in southern Ohio when the guy in front of me stopped shorter than I anticipated. I was leaning to get onto the road and had to stop while still leaning ... and you know what happens then ...
Jumped off, hit the kill switch (it was still growling), walked to the other side, picked it up, jumped on and tried to start it (yueah,m the kill switch was still on) ... 2 embarassments in less than a minute).
It was much easier to right than the Oldwing (and I picked that one up enough times ... especially in the first few years before we got REAL familiar with each other.
It's even easier to put on the center stand. That used to be something I avoided ... but now it's balanced in such a way that you push down on the centerstand (with your foot) more than you pull back. The saleman was about 125 pounds soaking wet and demo'd it ... shocked me with the ease he put it up.
Again ... you may NOT want to take a test ride unless you want to make room in the garage! My orange bike sure enjoys sitting beside his big orange cousin! (I wonder if the CFO would get upset if I painted her truck orange?)

pete

Pete,

I have to admit I wondered if I'd hear from you on this. Your upgrade probably makes me the rider of the oldest regularly ridden Wing here on TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My 'Blue Beauty' is in her twenty-first summer and still going strong.

Your trips sound wonderful. I'm jealous beyond words, but very happy for you. I hope you get to do more of that.

Your caution, <font color="blue"> "DO NOT go and take one for a test ride. The riding devil will get ahold of you and you'll just have to have one" </font> isn't the first one like that I've heard. Going from 1100cc to 1832cc's alone would be incredible. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lastly, I have to tell you that when I read this;

<font color="blue"> "I was leaning to get onto the road and had to stop while still leaning ... and you know what happens then ...
Jumped off, hit the kill switch (it was still growling), walked to the other side, picked it up, jumped on and tried to start it (yeah, the kill switch was still on)" </font>

I literally laughed out loud because of the memories it stirred in me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif One of my favorites is riding along at a good pace then feeling a stall. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It's amazing how much better they run when you open the fuel line. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've always said there were three kinds of riders; Very new riders who haven't had a bike down yet, riders who'll tell you they've had their bikes down and liars. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif