A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #1  

Gary_in_Indiana

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket
The last time I had decided to spend the money to get a new motorcycle to replace my old Goldwing Aspencade I ended up buying a John Deere instead. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I like my Deere but it's not that same "wind in your hair" feeling as I get on the bike.

Nonetheless, I'm hoping I'll be about caught up enough from that purchase and some recent implement acquisitions to look for a newer bike this fall (I always buy summer toys in winter; winter toys in summer). I've been so happy with Goldwings over the years I wasn't even going to look at anything else...that was...until yesterday.

My son and his girlfriend drove down from Milwaukee where he lives now and took me out for my birthday. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif At one point my son asks me, "Dad, is your blue bike a Harley?"

I, of course, immediately respond proudly that it's a Goldwing and go into one of my little bits as to why Wings are superior and why I wouldn't have a Harley, etc. It's a bit I've refined over the years to entertain my Harley riding friends.

At that point the girlfriend says, "Ohhhh... Our parents can NEVER meet." I look at my son and see a look I've seen before. You all know the one... that "gotcha" look.

It turns out the his girlfriend's Dad is an exec with (you guessed it) Harley Davidson in Milwaukee. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Without going into titles, etc., suffice it to say he's got the corporate front row tickets to Bucks games, box seats for the Brewers, etc., so this is more than just a job.

Since his daughter has all the earmarks of being my future daughter-in-law here, I'm thinking I ought to at least put off my buying decision for now. I'm not looking for advice or anything on what to buy. I just thought you all might get a kick out of the story. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #2  
HD has made a great comeback since their pathetic association with AMF. The bikes actually run and don't leak oil much at all. I notice CycleWorld again awarded the Goldwing Top Honors for a heavy touring bike. I have never been a Harley fan, cruising and posing is just not my interest. It seems that many Harley dealers way overcharge for the bikes, as much as 10,000 over MSRP. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif An aquaintence of mine recently spent 25,000 dollars on some kinda Harley. That is a lot of money if you ask me. The GoldWing is sleek and refined and utterly relaible. No long distance touring bike even comes close. If you been happy with the Wing that is what you should stick with, your daughter and laws parents will get over it. Is he planning on getting you a discount?, if not I would politely tell him that you will stay with the Wing cuz Honda dealers don't gouge you for 10,000 dollars.
When I was a teenager my buddy and I pulled up to a stop light beside some biker dudes (real biker dudes) and he reached over and slapped the tatooed woman on the --ah--rear end--I almost fell over from fear. The adreneline rush was awesome. He was on a Kawasaki 175 and I was on a Honda 175. We had no diffuculty outrunning the Harleys. Glen even went back for more and did a wheelie past them after we hid in a convenience store to let them pass us. I thought better of it even though I was better at wheelies than Glen, that big dude with the flag on his belly was mean looking. They were all dressed like Natzis in black leather and boots, we were hippie kids, long hair and Jesus sandals and psychodelic t-shirts. About a month latter me and Glen was at a bike shop hanging out instead of studying chemistry like we should have been when, yep, guess who pulled up /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. The big biker chick asked Glen if he wanted some of this, Glen nearly fainted, I was looking for the rear door. The biker dudes all started laughing and said what a great time they had had chasing us around that afternoon. Turned out they was real nice people, but we never slapped anymore biker chicks on the rear, seems they kinda like that /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, well maybe once more /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif . J

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #3  
"I like my Deere but it's not that same "wind in your hair" feeling as I get on the bike."

You could buy a fan.. mount it on the hood of your tractor.. ahhhhh.. the wind in your face.. and.. $ still in your pocket! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #4  
Gary, do you mean that your future in-laws might consider honesty to be a character flaw? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #5  
I getting the feeling that Gary is not as brand loyal as he is thrifty. Perhaps he is envisioning a serious HD 'family' discount. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #6  
Right up front I must say that I am not a cycle enthusiast. At least.......not any more! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Gary, I think you're looking at the whole thing all wrong. Think of it this way. If your son and the young lady DO decide to "join forces", you and her father will never find yourselves lacking for topics to discuss! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif How many times have you heard about In-Laws that don't get along? Don't you owe it to the kids to do whatever you can to help and support them? Why, I think that not only should you consider buying a new Goldwing, I think it's your fatherly duty to buy one! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now go and use THAT explanation on them!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase
Some interesting and insightful comments here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tres makes excellent points about the improvements in HD in recent years and in the overall superiority still resting with Goldwings. While I agree the gap has narrowed, it's still far from gone. As far as paying OVER retail for either bike, that's just not going to happen. As many of you who've read my posts here over time, I tend to be 'frugal' on things such as this. I'm looking more at something along the lines of, "How much over invoice?" and "Does that include the holdback?"

Bird's comment really made me smile. I was reminded of that famous line, "The best defense against slander is that it's true." Mrwurm's immediately following Bird's had me laughing out loud. The truth is that the only way I would even consider something other than another 'Wing would be if it were priced on a 'corporate executive purchase plan' level. I have loyalty, but a new bike for four figures and I could be had. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GolfGar (curiously lacking posts of late) comes in and has a great rationale for me not only buying a 'Wing, but a new one at that. I find it hard to believe this is the same guy I've been trying to convince to buy even an old, used tractor for over a year now. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Lastly, KensFarm... What can I say? A bike to ride or money sitting around doing nothing isn't much of a choice in my mind. Besides, after the way he set me up yesterday, do you really think I want to have any money left to leave to my son when I die? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lastly, I deferred gratification once for the tractor. Yesterday was my birthday. I'm now in my fiftieth year. I think I'm due. Besides, if I don't take good care of me, who will? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #8  
And her father should buy a Goldwing to make Gary happy also /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #9  
So when do you get your tatoo? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnowRidge

/ A bit of a dilemma on motorcycle purchase #10  
I could not resist...

It is nice to know I pose. I guess I never thought I did that, till I read your post. I tend to think that I like to ride, not pose, even, if it's with my buddy with his nice Vulcan "Harley look-alike".

Cruising is fun, whether it be on the highway or by-way. Canyon racing is fun too. My wifes FXRS-Sport is fun in the canyons. But, I would get a Buell, or maybe even break down for a Suzuki-TLS1000 for real canyon bombing.

Do Harley dealers overcharge. Well, maybe. It is a typical American marketing thing though, to sell at a price the market will support; try buying or selling a house. I will note though, that most of that money tends to hold in a Harley. I had a very clean Suzuki GS-550 before my Harley days. The bike was spotless, but 10 years old. Ran great, although it did leak oil(more than my Harley ever has). I could not hardly give it away for the $500 that I thought was fair for an import bike. I would not worry about a Honda dealer gouging. The market would not support it. Niether would resale. The Goldwing seems to do better in resale the most Honda's though

As far as quality goes, it is much better than it used to be. I will agree there, although my old neighbor ran Shovels for years without problems(and he put lots of miles on his bikes). Our Cub Scout pack Cub-Master has a '93 FXRS-Sport. He commutes from near me to the San Jose area. He has over 145,000 miles on his bike. The only work has been oil, filters, plugs, and tires. 145,000 miles is not to bad...

The old Hondas could pull a Panhead with two riders and a bad tuneup. Especially if it was raked and lowered. I have seen some Pan's and Shovels that were very quick though, very quick.

Gary's Goldwings are Very nice bikes. I have never ridden one, but know people who do(I have helped pick them up off the ground though; they are heavy...). I have ridden with them, and they ran pretty well. I would not begrudge Gary his Goldwing, even if it is over a Harley. I only hope he has his face in the wind; that's whats important(except for me, what with my posing and all).

I guess I better get off the keyboard, and head to the garage. I'll take the mirror off the bathroom door, so I can practice posing with my bike.