Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #111  
I am a former Spec Ops soldier, I trained to survive in low tech situations, but honestly at 60 though relatively healthy I have enough issues to realize I'd die fairly early in the process. So would the vast majority of preppers, doubters, believers and non commiteds.
You can prepare for a storm you may even be able to prepare for a limited war, but they call it doomsday for a reason. Now we all like to think we could defend our family and our stores of goods, but truth is those lazy city folk will be highly motivated by starvation and more than willing to sacrifice a few rows of urbanites to overrun your compound.
Yes, you can survive a snowstorm, hurricane, or heatwave, but total breakdown of tech, ain't happenin' Homey! There's a reason for the chart below and it ain't magic;

Life expectancy in the USA, 1900-98

men and women;

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #112  
Randy has a good point we are going to die anyway but I would add to that the old saying is "you dont plan to fail you simply fail to plan" true yes?!

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #113  
MasseyWV said:
There is a satellite network which is capable of permanently shutting down all electrical machinery and appliances of any kind. The satellite network is controlled by a computer, which is controlled by a small hand-held remote device.

Enter a code then push a button and that's it. No electrical power grid, no TV, no internet, no cell phones, no cars, no nothing. We would effectively and permanently be thrown back into the stone age within seconds.

Would you push the button?

Re-read the original post... It has NOTHING to do with being prepared, it asks if you had the power, would you single handedly destroy technology(and the lives of millions along with it)?

That is why I suggested a slightly different question in my first response...

ljohnson778 said:
Perhaps a better question for you to ask would be: If there was a disaster that rendered technology as we know it inoperable, how would you cope? Here's how I might cope... Etc.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario
Re-read the original post... It has NOTHING to do with being prepared, it asks if you had the power, would you single handedly destroy technology(and the lives of millions along with it)?

That is why I suggested a slightly different question in my first response...

You just couldn't let it rest could you? Given the timing and content of your response, it seems to me that you're attempting to bait me into more pointless debating so you can stroke your own ego. Sorry, but I'm not biting. Besides, I thought you said you were going to bow out of this thread.

I think I'll bow out of this thread before it gets too ugly. I think I'll go talk about tractors...

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #115  
MasseyWV said:
You just couldn't let it rest could you? Given the timing and content of your response, it seems to me that you're attempting to bait me into more pointless debating so you can stroke your own ego. Sorry, but I'm not biting. Besides, I thought you said you were going to bow out of this thread.

Ha ha, you read far too much into my post. I have nothing against you, in fact I was quite humbled by your quest to save your cat. The truth is, my response was in reference to all of the posts recently about preparedness for 'the end of the world as we know it' when your original post simply asked whether anyone would cause the event or not.

My position is, I will prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and not dwell on the unknowable. So, to answer your original question, I certainly would not push the button.

(in hindsight, I probably could've rephrased my earlier posts in a less antagonistic fashion)

Well wishes to all,
Larry

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #116  
Now I didn't read WHERE it was laid out how someone could if it's not running at the time. Most EMP scenarios I know of rely on the equipment being connected or running. But from some brief readings it seems there's a high likelihood my tractor and diesel non-computerized vehicles would work. My Jetta TDI would be toast.

So how many of y'all have equipment that won't be affected? A years supply of food, meds and fuel? And the weaponry to protect it.

If you don't it's time to stock up. Unless you don't plan on living another year and will never use it up.

Close - have fuses to replace or circuits to reset since the pulse will likely fry/trip those as well. But basic machinery should function once power is restored.
Note, only shielded military vehicles will survive - the majority of them will be as uselss as your TDI

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #117  
Creekbend,
Your comment regarding checkers and chess is also a derogatory swipe at one with inferior intellect.
IMO, the OP has not changed his position, merely answered his own question - that he might.
Your straw dog about your mother is a shame, but also proves the OP point - that mankind survives. Why you believe that the experience of your father or your mother allows your opinion to carry more weight than another's though I do not know. You state flatly that the OPs position is indefensable - yet I would argue your certainty.
Why is it that the Allies were permitted to carpet bomb civilian population centers in Germany, and wage absolute and total war on Germany/Japan - thereby sending them back to the "stone age". Because such action was deemed necesary for humanity. But why in Vietnam, Korea, Iraq have we not obliterated cities as in Dresden? Why was my family in Germany permitted to have our home destroyed, but my family in the US not? Such experience certainly makes me see multiple points of view - but not to state absolutes that because of my experience my position is superior.
Are Germans less of a people then the Iraqis? The Vietnamese?
Such discussion is irrelevant to this commentary.
You answered the point - you would not push the button.

I counter with a question to all - WHY do you believe that such an event would force mankind into devouring itself? New Orleans? Upstream areas flooded and there were no riots and looting. Tornadoes destory Joplin - and there is no rioting, no looting? In 2003, the NE United States and Canada suffered a massive blackout for days - no electricity, no cell phones, no fuel pumps.....and yet - the National Guard wasn't called out - the military wasn't destroyed - and only minor events occurred (of course in cities).

So why are you so quick to state that mankind would turn on itself like wolves? Perhaps we can teach the city folks how to clean a chicken, or grow some food, or how to shoot (at game - vs each other)?

You are so quick to see the negative and feel govt is all that protects you from being devoured. Someone once said something about people see others through their own perceptions and how they beleive they would react. Perhaps you should examine your perceptions.

典here are two types of people who will tell you that you cannot make a difference in this world: Those who are afraid to try themselves, and those who are afraid that you will succeed.
Ray Goforth
It is certainly apparent that you have a definite tendency to intercede when the post is or was not directed toward you. Are you over endowed with ESP? How do you know what I meant in regards to Checkers and Chess? You stated, "is also a derogatory swipe at one with inferior intellect". That was your assumption based on your comment, not mine. I challenge you to find proof in my posts regarding your accusation. I even stated that I regard the OP as a fairly decent individual. Conceitedness is not an attribute, therefore you shouldn't attempt to intercede when the post was not directed at you. How dare you even mention my Mother in your reply. This is between you and me now. Game on. Bring it on. Hit me with your best shot. Just for your info, I mentioned the struggle that my Mother lived through as an example that Pushing The Button would result in many deaths from starvation. attn# Blitzn--Don't you ever attempt to read something into my post that wasn't there. And don't ever mention my Mother again. Understood? Yes, it is a Free Country, but I am not protecting myself behind this keyboard. My home town is clearly visible. Anytime you want to visit, give me a call. My area is full of Southern Hopitality and MANNERS. Just a thought.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #118  
toppop52 said:
I am a former Spec Ops soldier, I trained to survive in low tech situations, but honestly at 60 though relatively healthy I have enough issues to realize I'd die fairly early in the process. So would the vast majority of preppers, doubters, believers and non commiteds.
You can prepare for a storm you may even be able to prepare for a limited war, but they call it doomsday for a reason. Now we all like to think we could defend our family and our stores of goods, but truth is those lazy city folk will be highly motivated by starvation and more than willing to sacrifice a few rows of urbanites to overrun your compound.
Yes, you can survive a snowstorm, hurricane, or heatwave, but total breakdown of tech, ain't happenin' Homey! There's a reason for the chart below and it ain't magic;

men and women;

I think you are right. Might as well die with your boots on though.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #119  
I'd go down in flames, no doubt about it, but I'm not ignorant enough to think I could survive long term in that scenario. When I was 30 and if I avoided the diseases that would be rampant for a few years, then maybe I could live to the ripe old age of say 40-45 if things went well for me. For people to believe they could survive for more than a few years is unrealistic. A few would and there would eventually be reproduction, but the population would be tiny for centuries and if you met a person that was born 20 years after the event, when that person was 20 years old, you would not be able to communicate with him/her. You would have no understanding of that reality nor they of yours.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #120  
Hi, I'm back. Can any of you pro button pushers explain to me the desirability of killing millions of human beings in the hope of somehow having everything just turn out peachy keen and fine in the long run when it didn't work so far. What would be so very different regarding humans and their desires and abilities the next time around or the next after that or the next after that or... ? This assumes the button pushers of the world would keep pushing the button hoping next time will work. Supposedly with an infinite number of monkeys sitting at typewriters eventually at least one of them will type out the entire collected works of Shakespeare so similarly, in theory, given an unlimited time frame eventually a perfect world would just happen. Of course since there is no consensus on what constitutes a perfect or even acceptable world, someone will want to push the button again.

I am fully in agreement in principle with much of what the button pushers claim is to be gained. I really am but I am totally convinced pushing the button will not achieve the lofty goals mentioned. I'd love a world of eternal brotherhood where never is heard a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day and we all raise our own organic veggies and live off the grid. I just don't think it is going to happen and killing millions in the attempt sounds a lot like "the final solution" you may have heard of but substituting anti-tech green in place of Aryan.

Pat