Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1635 12x12 Shuttle, Exmark Pioneer 48, and toys

Default Re: Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario

Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    Being somewhat of a history buff, I can't help but to think back to a time before technology became such an important part of our lives. The early 1900's come to mind. Life was more difficult than it is today, but communities seemed to be closer, where people actually cared about one another.

Would I push the button? Maybe.
    I've often figured I was born too late. In studies, I once came across a statement I had to ponder over. Now I wonder about it again periodically over a Coke and reflection. In the 1800's, it was possible to be born, live, marry, and die and except for filing a property claim or grubstake - never having any interaction with any governmental structure. Can anyone imagine such an existence? Does it terrify you? Or do you think you could manage?
    By rights - that is the definition of Anarchy - per Merriam - a: absence of government b: a state of lawlessness or political disorder due to the absence of governmental authority

Wow, what a concept.
    I think I could survive. My family survived the Depression by bartering. All my neighbors and friends - we take care of each other.
    Go ahead - push it - but you'll have to ride over to tell me since I won't be missing my cell phone (but I'll miss this Forum).

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Maybe time for Ayn Rand's book Atlas Shrugged to be read again .
    Or Time for Who's John Gault to become asked.
    ken

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 2320

Quote Originally Posted by 32 chev View Post
    Blitzn Got it right:
    Indeed, snake got it right .
    There are old sailors and there are bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    B2320, 48 " Woods Brushbull, LA304 loader, modified Kingkutter carryall, Middle Buster

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzn View Post
    I think independence is good for personal development.

The difference between naked savages possessed only of the rudiments of the arts, cowering in ignorance and weakness before the forces of nature, and the wealth, the knowledge and the power of our highest civilization, is due to the exchange of the independence which is the aim of the protective system, for that interdependence which comes with trade. Men cannot apply themselves to the production of but one of the many things human wants demand unless they can exchange their products for the products of others. And thus it is only as the growth of trade permits the division of labor that, beyond the merest rudiments, skill can be developed, knowledge acquired and invention made; and that productive power can so gain upon the requirements for maintaining life that leisure becomes possible and capital can be accumulated.

Your humble servant,
    Henry George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -george-gif  

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    Would you push the button?
    Would it include zombies ?
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kioti ck30

would that mean no Julie Chan and big brother? wheres the button?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

Looks like the buggy whip manufacturer is planning a comeback.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

In the 1800's you could die young or lose your wife to childbirth difficulties or lose a child to cholera. The growth of medical technology prevents that, but comes at the cost of necessary complexity. Imagine the chaos of cell phones/tv/radio without an FCC to assign frequencies. Then think of all the government related actions it takes to create, empower, enforce the creation of an FCC or modern hospital, it's endless--not that it can't always be improved upon.

I think the "button question" is asking if we have made a deal with the Devil in accepting/wanting the benefits of technology while resenting the complexity it necessarily imposes upon us. I don't think we get a do-over. If someone pushed the button, we would work like heck to put it all back together again.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    2014 BX2370 as of today

Quote Originally Posted by lockhaven View Post
    the button exists but it is not a button, if we get a solar storm like in the 19th century the entire electric grid will be shut down all transformers fried. guess what there are not enough made to replace them. Months or even years till all the grid is working. a week without electricity causes panic just consider months, total breakdown
    These solar storms have happened and have knocked out the grid leading from Quebec into the Northeastern USA. The one major consideration is that solar scientists can usually determine when solar storms will hit, the potential for damage and so on. Power companies can adjust accordingly. Now speaking of power companies, most of you recall the Y2K predictions and the potential outcomes that we would all suffer with. Didn't happen. Minor problems here and there, but nothing that wasn't resolved quickly.

As I said to my somewhat nervous co-workers when the question was asked as to what we'd do without power...it was simple...we'd revert to 1972 without computers, cell phones and so on. Oh yeah, you'll have to use a manual typewriter, which the majority of todays youth could barely muster up the energy to actually type a word, let alone a paragraph with.

Regarding the question would I? Not likely, I'm old enough to appreciate my comforts and my cold beer - particularly in these rather warm times.
    2008 - 2011 BX24 with 9" auger, back blade and post driver (traded BX24)
    2011 - 2013 B3030HSDC with q/a FEL; 3pt snowblower; ballast box; 9" auger; back blade (sold B3030HSDC)
    2014 - 2014 BX2370 with q/a FEL/forks; ballast box

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    In the 1800's you could die young or lose your wife to childbirth difficulties or lose a child to cholera. The growth of medical technology prevents that, but comes at the cost of necessary complexity.
    Modern medicine saves many lives, but at the same time it also contributes to the growing problem of overpopulation.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    I think the "button question" is asking if we have made a deal with the Devil in accepting/wanting the benefits of technology while resenting the complexity it necessarily imposes upon us. I don't think we get a do-over. If someone pushed the button, we would work like heck to put it all back together again.
    That there is a Devil there is no doubt, but is he trying to get in us, or trying to get out?

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast