Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #51  
I've been there...at least vicariously. I published a book of the translated, from Spanish, minutes of the Goliad town Council during the 15 years IMMEDIATELY preceding the Texas Revolution.

The Spanish inhabitants were about as low on the technology scale and as high on the individual responsibility scale as you can get. Let me recount some highlights from those Camelot days:

passed laws about slaughter houses and bemoaned the residents who failed to keep their pigs from wandering around the town...sanitation was a priority
Continuously sought help from the national government, far away in Mexico City, which regularly ignored their pleas...they desperately WANTED government help and military protection
4 soldiers and 10 citizens went out to demand the Indians stop stealing their horses and selling them back to the owners....Indians laughed and ran them back to town.
So may died from cholera that they stopped ringing the church bells at each death to avoid panic.
Indian raids caused a law to be passed to not leave town without carrying a gun...those doing so and surviving were FINED!
Starving conditions frequently caused people to self deport back to Mexico, leaving the home of the Texas Longhorn and rich coastal plains with lots of wild game and fish in the abundant waters.
they sought continuously and unsuccessfully to find and fund a teacher and educate their kids
their guns deteriorated such that they used their prisoners to clean and repair them
They had limited ammunition, at one point they had only 15 rounds of ammo in the whole town and rationed it among 10 individuals, some got several shots, some none
the post master and 2nd highest elected official brutalized his wife, cut her ears off, ran off with all the meager city and Post office funds
wife, now a fem sole with no resources, was sent to live with the priest.

Ah, yes, those were the good old days....you can get a copy of Voices from the Goliad Frontier and discover how the good life without high technology really is!

Fantasize all you want, but go read the reality...then decide which life you want to choose to pursue... we won't even discuss life expectancy or quality of life during those years..........AND, trust me, overpopulation in our usual sense of the word was NOT a problem in those days. Peak census was about 500 people in Goliad extended community.

Last edited:
   / Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #52  
The Dark Ages led to the Renaissance, which in turn, gave rise to historical figures such as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo.

Yes, I can.

Have you looked around lately? People seem to be turning into zombies, becoming ever more hopelessly addicted to their precious gadgets, all the while forgetting how to actually live their lives. Opinions obviously vary, but I believe that we would be much better off without being so dependent on technology for our very survival.
I agree that Mankind has become dependent on Modern Technology. But, in all reality, you appear to pick out certain parts of my post that you could independently remark to in a somewhat definitive manner that doesn't relate to your views. If you would take the time to read my post again, I stated THE TOTAL ABOLISHMENT OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY in regards to being a Good Thing and benefiting Mankind. Note Total Abolishment. In summary, how would you obtain the Fuel for your MF tractor if it weren't for refineries. All aspects of the Petroleum Supply today relies on Modern Technology. Are you advocating that everyone utilize the use of "Passenger Pigeons" in order to communicate long distance? Are you not using a PC to communicate with me at the present time? If you research past history in this Country in regards to the "Industrial Age", the early farmers criticized the advent of the Tractor and made rudimentary and negative remarks in regards that the Tractor would never take the place of draft horses and horse drawn implements. Just take a look at the advancement in Agriculture that has occurred because of this one "Modern Convenience", and the prosperity that the now "Common Tractor" has been influential in regards to feeding people. I remember hearing people making remarks similar about air conditioning. People used to condemn the invention of automatic transmissions and make negative remarks. Even the products that are manufactured in the workplace that you are employed at and helps to provide for your Family, depends on Modern Technology. Just a thought? I am not attempting to be argumentative in regards to your reply, but it appears that "THE GUILTY" should not judge "The GUILTY". I remember a thread that you once started in the past here on TBN relating to the element of "Hostility" here on TBN. This is a forum and resulting comments will sometimes become elevated because of the issues discussed. Please take time and read my post again. You may discover, just perhaps, that I stated that the Total Abolishment of Modern Technology would definitely not be beneficial to Mankind. I am not referring to videos or games that people play, but to the vast complex institution that is deeply embedded in a great proportion of the Industrialized Nations that exist today in the World. The Total Abolishment of Modern Technology would most definitely not be beneficial to mankind.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #53  
Well, No! (Said in Dan's best Valley Girl voice)

If the Klingons were here so would be Kirk or Picard with Worf! We know who would WIN! :D:D:D

On Sept. 11, I was at work when someone said that a plane had hit one of the towers. The coworker had been on the CNN site and saw the news. We all started looking at webpages and wondering what was happening when the second hit and found out about the third plane in MD. I went out to the truck and brought in a radio so we could get more information....

When Challenger blew up I saw the smoke driving to work. When I got to work we gathered around one of the few TVs to get the news before an announcement was made on the PA...

Later,
Dan
I was working on a jobsite in Sarasota Florida when the Challenger exploded. As you may know, most of the times the Space Shuttle was to be launched, residents of Southwest Florida would gather outside to see the vapors caused by the launch. I, personally saw three launchings in this way. Once a shuttle made an reentry and I rushed outside because there was a boom. I thought an automobile crash had occurred in front of our home. When 9-11 happened, I was working my part time job as a taxi driver. The dispatcher related the news to us drivers on our radios. I rushed directly to our Home and cried when I saw the second plane on TV hit the Tower.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #54  
dmccarty said:
Well, No! (Said in Dan's best Valley Girl voice)

If the Klingons were here so would be Kirk or Picard with Worf! We know who would WIN! :D:D:D

On Sept. 11, I was at work when someone said that a plane had hit one of the towers. The coworker had been on the CNN site and saw the news. We all started looking at webpages and wondering what was happening when the second hit and found out about the third plane in MD. I went out to the truck and brought in a radio so we could get more information....

When Challenger blew up I saw the smoke driving to work. When I got to work we gathered around one of the few TVs to get the news before an announcement was made on the PA...

Later,
Dan

I was about 5-7 miles as the crow flies from the pentagon that eerie morning. It certainly felt like the button was pushed. I threw my pistol in my pocket and climbed up to the top of the building where I work. I can't describe the feeling of seeing the headquarters of the most powerful army in the world smolder.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario
I agree that Mankind has become dependent on Modern Technology. But, in all reality, you appear to pick out certain parts of my post that you could independently remark to in a somewhat definitive manner that doesn't relate to your views.

Quite simply, I took relevant parts of what you said and stated my opinion in response to them, much like people do every day. Honestly, some of your posts are one huge blob of text, and if you took the time to break them up into paragraphs, they would be much easier to read.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #56  
Actually, pushing the button would really screw me, since I have a pacemaker...of course, it would be an easy way to go...fast too.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #57  
I concur with Patrick, that humanity will rapidly turn on itself.

I disagree with jinman that hypothetical situations are a cheap form of entertainment. That may be the case when yo fantasize about winning the lottery, but many of our real-life situations are modeled every day, from military exercises to Homeland Security to projects I have at work.

When I originally considered this posting, it was more reminiscent of "Mayberry". To borrow from Rascal Flatts -
"Sometimes it feels like this world is spinning faster Than it did in the old days
So naturally we have more natural disasters... From the strain of a fast pace

Sunday was the day of rest... Now its one more day for progress
And we can't slow down... Cause more is best
It's all an endless process

Well I miss Mayberry... Sitting on the porch drinking ice cold Cherry --- Coke
Where everything is black & white... Picking on a Six String
Where people pass by and you call them by their first name
Watching the clouds roll by
bye bye"

Now, that said. Yes, society will degenerate. Where I live we in fact have local militias. We are also prepared for the worst situations - as we live in Michigan where unemployment still leads the nation, Detroit is a festering sore that robs/maims/kills more each year than Iraq and Afghanistan combined, and across the river was the #2 Nuke target feeding all natural gas to the east coast, refineries, International electrical grid interconnection,only double-stack rail tunnel to the east from the west and all sorts of fun stuff.
So, yeah, we grew up feeling we had to prepare for the worst.

Do I want to see society devour itself - heck no. But as I mentioned, I have co-workers who won't even discuss where a hamburger comes from because it is too terrifying.

Reality can be a nice wakeup call. Perhaps a temporary power outage would be wonderful - but I doubt anyone would learn anything.

Actually, pushing the button would really screw me, since I have a pacemaker...of course, it would be an easy way to go...fast too.

Things like this, are exactly why I said maybe in my earlier post about pushing the button. On one hand I believe that we would all be better off without being so dependent on technology, but on the other hand I believe that some technology can be a good thing, very much like the pacemaker that your life depends on.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #59  
The question of "What if?" is the most powerful question ever conceived in the history of mankind. Those who don't ask questions are doomed to live out their lives in ignorance.

Now there is the 2nd most ridiculous activity. Making unproven statements as if they cannot be refuted. I always thought the most powerful question was "Why?" Truth is, neither you nor I have any basis for such presumptions. I simply disagree with your premise. For hypothetical scenarios to be of value, you must show that there is some reason to believe they are based in reality. Don't ask me to treat fiction as fact.

I think you started this thread to have some fun, but the more I read, the more I see you take yourself seriously. I've already offended you, so I should just apologize for not showing more restraint and back away. Enjoy your thread.

Now there is the 2nd most ridiculous activity. Making unproven statements as if they cannot be refuted. I always thought the most powerful question was "Why?" Truth is, neither you nor I have any basis for such presumptions. I simply disagree with your premise. For hypothetical scenarios to be of value, you must show that there is some reason to believe they are based in reality. Don't ask me to treat fiction as fact.

I think you started this thread to have some fun, but the more I read, the more I see you take yourself seriously. I've already offended you, so I should just apologize for not showing more restraint and back away. Enjoy your thread.

Here we go, debating the statement and calling it "unproven", yadda, yadda, yadda. I'm not asking you to treat it one way or another, it's an opinion, same as yours, take it or leave it. You haven't offended me, although I do believe I may have somehow offended you.

BTW: I don't take myself seriously, and I was not joking or "having fun" when I created this thread, but that's the problem with many people these days, they take nothing seriously.