Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
There is a satellite network which is capable of permanently shutting down all electrical machinery and appliances of any kind. The satellite network is controlled by a computer, which is controlled by a small hand-held remote device.

Enter a code then push a button and that's it. No electrical power grid, no TV, no internet, no cell phones, no cars, no nothing. We would effectively and permanently be thrown back into the stone age within seconds.

Would you push the button?

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #2  
You would be responsible for millions if not billions of deaths. Cities would riot and burn. Starvation and disease would take care of the rest.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario
You would be responsible for millions if not billions of deaths. Cities would riot and burn. Starvation and disease would take care of the rest.

I didn't state whether or not I would push the button, I asked if you would push it. From your response, I gather that you would not.

I was unaware of that TV series, but it looks interesting. The idea to create this thread came from an old 90's movie called Escape from LA. It was not the best movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it is what it is.

With all the crap going on in the world today, I thought it might be interesting to imagine what might happen if all our modern "goodies" suddenly became useless. Of course there would be mass world chaos immediately after such an event, but I was more thinking in terms of what might happen long-term.

Would the world be better off without technology?

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #6  
I suppose if I would push the button depends on the day I had :)
However, there are times I think it would benefit society to be more independent and less reliant on devices and ignorance of such simple things as where their basic food staples come from. I grow weary of being lectured from the "elites" (generally liberal) about solar power and such while they fly private planes. They eat imported, I/we clean and cook my own chicken. I work with a city-lady who has never wondered where her food comes from, but complains about all us "rednecks". I'd love to see what happens to the big cities if that were to happen.
“When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.” - Thomas Jefferson

I think independence is good for personal development.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #7  
the button exists but it is not a button, if we get a solar storm like in the 19th century the entire electric grid will be shut down all transformers fried. guess what there are not enough made to replace them. Months or even years till all the grid is working. a week without electricity causes panic just consider months, total breakdown

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #8  
Yeah, but no television and an upcoming election season - wouldn't that be great!! ;-)~

Being somewhat of a history buff, I can't help but to think back to a time before technology became such an important part of our lives. The early 1900's come to mind. Life was more difficult than it is today, but communities seemed to be closer, where people actually cared about one another.

Would I push the button? Maybe.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #10  
Blitzn Got it right: :drink: