Hot peppers

/ Hot peppers #1  

schoolsout

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
This years endeavor turned out better than last years regarding my super hot peppers. Last year, I grew bhut jolokias, but they weren't that hot and very disappointing. I'd say they were about habanero hot, if that.

This year, however, my Butch T Trinidad Scorpions are popping off pretty good and the peppers are HOT! My Trinidad 7 Pot seeds didn't sprout so the Butch T's are my insane peppers.

Brought these to work to give to the nice Russian lady that cleans up my office. She saw my seeds on my desk earlier in the year so ever since then, we trade gardening stories and I told her I'd bring her some.

pepper.jpg

I also have Charleston Hots, purple cayenne, yellow cayenne, datil and tobasco peppers growing, too. I'm really liking the flavor of the datils.

/ Hot peppers
I forgot to ask if anyone else is a pepper fan and has a reco to try next year

/ Hot peppers #3  
I like Super Chili's its a hybrid similar size and family to a Tabasco or Serrano and just beautiful colors and production is un-real. I have not tried many other peppers since these do the job nicely for us anyway I will sure keep in mind those you mentioned though! :)

Super Chili's have 50K btu or so not unbearable but the flavor is waaaay better than a habanero to me anyway.

Fact I just a batch of spicy hot tomato juice with them and some home grown mato's (we have a crap load this year) substituting for jalapenos and I am very happy with the recipe. :thumbsup:

/ Hot peppers #4  
A coworker planted Ghost pepers, he said they are the hottest? 1 million BTUs.:shocked:

/ Hot peppers #5  
I am not tough enough for the real hot peppers some folks just amaze me how they handle the heat.

/ Hot peppers #6  
I can eat jalapenos, and pepperoni but any of the real hot peppers, even jalapenos sometimes , gives me hick-ups and I can't eat for 15 min. or so until I get rid of the hick-ups so it is not worth it...plus the real hot pepper kills my taste buds and then I can't even taste what I am eating...

So my question is...how do you fellas do it...?

/ Hot peppers
I do it more as a novelty...so far, I've only eaten a tiny bit of the scorpions (like the very tip of the pepper tiny bit) and it is pretty brutal. I can take the heat of peppers the day of consumption, but you better not be between me and a toilet come morning time.

The ghosts were the hottest a year or two ago. The Butch Ts and Seven Pots have supposedly taken the spotlight now.

Well...per wiki

World record

The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T variety pepper was formerly ranked as the most piquant pepper in the world, according to Guinness World Records.[2] According to the New Mexico State University's Chile Pepper Institute, the distinction of world's most piquant pepper currently belongs to the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion[3] A laboratory test conducted in March, 2011 measured a specimen of Trinidad Scorpion Butch T at 1,463,700 Scoville heat units, officially ranking it the hottest pepper in the world.[4] Piquance of a species of chili pepper can vary by up to a factor of 10 depending on the conditions under which the specimen grew.[5] High-performance liquid chromatography has limited precision and a margin of error of about 5% of the true value; Scoville units reported with more than two significant figures should be regarded as for entertainment purposes only and not a scientific assessment of the piquance of the pepper.[6] The secret to the heat, according to the creators, is fertilizing the soil with liquid runoff of a worm farm.

-------------------

I've been using this for fertilizer and the plants seem to love it. The Charleston Hots (my dad is friends with one of the guys that created it years ago) seem to need more nitrogen than the others, though. They tend to get yellow on me fairly easily.

Amazon.com: General Hydroponics Go Box Starter Kit - Organic Fertilizer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Dr Dave, the ghost is a bhut jolokia, I believe. I think I had some cross pollinated seeds last year or just didn't grow them in optimal conditions.

/ Hot peppers #8  
I can eat jalapenos, and pepperoni but any of the real hot peppers, even jalapenos sometimes , gives me hick-ups and I can't eat for 15 min. or so until I get rid of the hick-ups so it is not worth it...plus the real hot pepper kills my taste buds and then I can't even taste what I am eating...

So my question is...how do you fellas do it...?

Bob, I'm kinda the same way. I don't get hiccups, but when I have peppers so hot that I can't taste the food they are on or anything else after eating them, it kinda seems pointless. I've grown cayenne and hot chilis several times. Normally, I make so many that I end up throwing most of them out. I am the only one in my house who eats anything remotely hot or spicy and I just can't keep up with my plants' production. I buy Tabasco for my eggs, Louisiana Hot Sauce for my gumbo, and jalapenos for my sandwiches & nachos at the store because it's a lot easier and far less hassle than trying to grow and process all of them. I grow sweet banana peppers, bell peppers, and pimentos in my garden.

/ Hot peppers
Lately, I've been making my own hot sauces. Last year, we tried some that weren't mostly vinegar and had anything from carrots to mango in the mix. This year, I'm just doing vinegar based like tobasco and most others you find at stores.

Fairly simple to do.

Just get a pot, pour some vinegar in and cut the peppers so everything is exposed (you can take seeds out if you wish, but I don't), add a fair amount of salt (not too much) and boil the vinegar/pepper mix for about 10-15 minutes (I do this outside as the vaporized mix can take your breath away).

I've been adding whatever spices I have laying around into the mix, too. Anything from chives/minced onion to cumin or whatever else you desire (not really sure if you can even taste the spices, but it makes me feel like a **** pro!)

Take the mix and blend it as fine as you can. It may take a try or two to get the proper vinegar to pepper ratio so it isn't too vinegary. If it is too thick, you can just add a bit more vinegar

I'll taste it and on the last batch, I added some sugar to help cut the "dryness" of the heat down a bit. Turned out pretty dang good, too.

/ Hot peppers #10  
Bob, I'm kinda the same way. I don't get hiccups, but when I have peppers so hot that I can't taste the food they are on or anything else after eating them, it kinda seems pointless. I've grown cayenne and hot chilis several times. Normally, I make so many that I end up throwing most of them out. I am the only one in my house who eats anything remotely hot or spicy and I just can't keep up with my plants' production. I buy Tabasco for my eggs, Louisiana Hot Sauce for my gumbo, and jalapenos for my sandwiches & nachos at the store because it's a lot easier and far less hassle than trying to grow and process all of them. I grow sweet banana peppers, bell peppers, and pimentos in my garden.

Well Jim, that sounds about like me....I buy the Crystal hot sauce for my gumbo and low country boils. jalapenos for sandwiches and nachos but I also like to have some side dishes ...relish type items with every meal so on the side I will have some de-seeded jalapenos, vidallia onion slices and radishes to eat along with my meal..that is the way I enjoy anything hot . I have never had much luck with bell peppers or sweet peppers ...the clay soil I guess, tomatoes do fine and so do hot peppers...but like you...since I did not eat that many...most I gave or threw away..i did make some hot pepper sauce for greens and that came out great...