Grid-tied solar

/ Grid-tied solar #211  
:laughing: I think you hit a sore point.

The "sore point" is that I read a LOT of threads. And many substantive comments go "a little too far" because they are over-generalized. If the comment had been pointed directly at people that spend way more money than they need to on a "daily driver" for absolutely no justifiable reason, then I would have whole-heartedly been in agreement. I happen to have good reasons for having spent a lot of money on a vehicle, but I get lumped into the "wasteful" class by the comment because of how it was made.

/ Grid-tied solar #212  
We need to invite the wives into this discussion now .... for a truly balanced viewpoint.

/ Grid-tied solar #213  
I have no issue at all with spending your $ on what ever u want. What I don't like is the tax money give a ways that I am forced to join in on.

/ Grid-tied solar #214  
I have no issue at all with spending your $ on what ever u want. What I don't like is the tax money give a ways that I am forced to join in on.

Well then you should look into the grants and interest free loans that all generation/utility type companies receive. Nuclear being the biggest gorilla in the room.

/ Grid-tied solar #215  
Well then you should look into the grants and interest free loans that all generation/utility type companies receive. Nuclear being the biggest gorilla in the room.

Don't like them either but at least can see a more direct connection to me. I might be using some of their generated power.

Way to many tax loop holes for the rich and powerful (co's and ind's).

/ Grid-tied solar #216  

That is an absolute myth and the so called "subsidies" are business expense deductions that every other business gets in this country. Gas, oil, nuclear and coal industries have paid their way from the beginning and in fact most have a smaller profit margin than any other business group. The record millions in profits is based purely on the huge volume they do. I thank God these companies keep exploring and providing us with the energy we need.

/ Grid-tied solar
After one month of operating my solar system, which I sincerely thank all of you for subsidizing :laughing:, it has generated 439.1 AC kWh's. The model predicts 383 AC kwh's for August. I had one week of operation in July, but July is modeled for 341 AC kWh's, less than August.

Since my net meters were installed July 30th, they have recorded 245 AC kWh's in from the utility and 272 AC kWh's out from my system, I am 27 kWh's to the good.

This is actually better than I expected since I added an electric water heater to my load that wasn't there before.

It's certainly true that the South and Southwest has more solar potential. The trade-off is the higher average temperatures reduce their panel efficiency, and they require more power for air conditioning. You can see US solar resource (insolation) maps here: NREL: Dynamic Maps, GIS Data, and Analysis Tools - Solar Maps

/ Grid-tied solar #218  
Amazing the negativity that solar and wind energy draw out of people who then think nothing of spending $50K on a diesel pickup as a daily driver, on the remote chance that they 'might' need to tow something one day....

:thumbsup:

And all this talk of "value" of the system in 20 yrs... Well I bet a solar power system would depreciate less than my truck... My F150 that cost close to 60k when new is now worth a mere 15 on a good day, in less than 10 yrs. And even if the solar system was worth less, at least during its life it would have GIVEN me something back ("free" energy) as opposed to just costing... and costing.. and costing.. like my truck:mad:

Good on you Dave! Someday I hope to have a system such as yours.

/ Grid-tied solar #219  
Hello from down under!
Hey guys you have forgotten the golden rule of utility companies in your sums and payback time. Prices are may be expected to increase for whatever weasel worded reason. Usually "equipment upgrading" huh!
Here in NZ we annually get a price rise of 10% a year. We have a varied pricing structure ranging from NZ 23.51c/unit to NZ25.48c/unit.
My next house due soon? I will have a solar system included with the build. Currently here depending on plumbing charges for any changes going solar cost around NZ$13,000.
Go for it.

/ Grid-tied solar #220  
I just checked ours. This is from sunny N. Calif, about an hour east of Sacramento in the foothills. Today was sunny and clear; we generated 29.82kWh. 7/27-8/25 we generated 916kWh from our 5kW system.
solar month.JPG

After one month of operating my solar system, which I sincerely thank all of you for subsidizing :laughing:, it has generated 439.1 AC kWh's. The model predicts 383 AC kwh's for August. I had one week of operation in July, but July is modeled for 341 AC kWh's, less than August.