Grid-tied solar

/ Grid-tied solar
I have the numbers for August, my first complete calendar month.

460.7 kWh (solar) + 284 kWh (IN from utility) - 330 kWh (OUT to utility) = 414.7 kWh used with a credit of 46 kWh's.

My usage last August (2011) was 305 kWh, it looks like adding the electric water heater accounted for about 110 kWh's this August.

I think I'm off to a good start. I'm sure any accumulating credits will be used up quickly in gloomy December.

/ Grid-tied solar #263  
For example, if a person installs an outdoor wood boiler, or a geothermal system, are the cost of those included in tax evaluations in your areas?[/QUOTE]

Here in British Columbia, we are taxed on the market value of our property. If you could sell your property for more money after the installation, your taxes will be higher.

/ Grid-tied solar
For example, if a person installs an outdoor wood boiler, or a geothermal system, are the cost of those included in tax evaluations in your areas?

Here in British Columbia, we are taxed on the market value of our property. If you could sell your property for more money after the installation, your taxes will be higher.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have been able to get more info on this. It seems the town in question, New Sharon, Maine, is using their legal right to tax personal property and taxing turbines, geothermal and solar systems as personal property. It's all second-hand info, so I am not 100% sure about the details.

The way town budgets work in Maine is they establish a budget based on prior year expenditures. Each year is a new ballgame because the school budgets change, the amount of revenue sharing from the state changes, and the towns share of the county budget can change depending on the county budget.

Once that budget total is fairly well known, the budget is divided by total property tax (real plus maybe personal) valuation. This establishes a tax rate per thousand dollars of valuation. The rate is typically anywhere from $12 to $25 per thousand depending on how high or low they make their property evaluations and how up to date it is. Any tax collected on a personal property basis will decrease the tax needed to be collected on real property because total tax revenue cannot exceed the budget total.

So, it becomes a question of what portion of tax revenue comes from what type of property, a $25,000 geothermal or solar system, a large house or a piece of land. Our local tax clerk is against personal property taxes, they are difficult to appraise and legally difficult to collect if unpaid. Apparently the law differentiates on town remedies. A town can put a lien on real property for unpaid tax, and eventually own it. The law does not allow that for personal property tax in arrears according to her.

I still have some digging to do to fully understand the real versus personal issue.

/ Grid-tied solar #265  
Here is a link to how it is done in Iowa. Iowa Department of Revenue - Iowa Taxes The tricky part is the estimated property value. So technically it might be possible to increase the tax if you install outside wood burning furnace but I doubt they will bother to do so. At least in Iowa I have not heard about such case. In fact I think there is a tax credit for alt energy systems.

/ Grid-tied solar
The results for the month of September, 2012:

480.9 kWh generated + 268 kWh in from utility - 364 kWh out to utility = 384.9 kWh net use.

The 384.9 kWh is 90 kWh more than September of last year, so I attribute about 90 kWh usage to the new elec. water heater. Last month the variance from last year was 110 kWh, so the water heater must be using around 100 kWh per month, that's for two adults.

The solar system has generated 998.6 kWh since it was installed July 25, 2012.

I currently have a net credit of 142 kWh with the utility. Yesterday and today were rainy and heavy overcast all day long. The system only generated about 1 kWh each day. On the good sunny days, the system is putting out slightly over 25 kWh. That is better than last month when a good day was 22 kWh. The sun angle is improving and the daytime air temp highs have been in the 60's to low 70's for much of this month, which helps panel efficiency.

I am seeing some 3600 and 3700 watt outputs at peak times now (around solar noon). The system is rated at 4300 watts peak output.

So far, so good. I am really surprised the elec. water heater usage is as low as it is. That is making a huge difference in the system's ability to meet our total usage, which is not at all what I had anticipated.

/ Grid-tied solar #267  
Thanks for keeping us informed.

/ Grid-tied solar
You are welcome, cmore. I will post the monthly performance for those who are curious about grid-tied solar, and want to see actual results from a known location. Heck, I'm curious too :laughing:

September is the 4th best month, and October is in 8th place, according to the PV Watts model, so we shall see.

/ Grid-tied solar #269  
Thanks for the offer to report the performance of the solar. My wife just talked to the bank and we might get approved for a loan to finance our system. Therefore I am also interested about actual versus the predicted production (If you can report both numbers it would be great). I am hoping to build our system sometime in second half of November unless something bombs the effort in the last minute.

/ Grid-tied solar
Thanks for the offer to report the performance of the solar. My wife just talked to the bank and we might get approved for a loan to finance our system. Therefore I am also interested about actual versus the predicted production (If you can report both numbers it would be great). I am hoping to build our system sometime in second half of November unless something bombs the effort in the last minute.

Good point.
The PVWatts model AC kWh predicted/actual:
Aug. 383/460.7
Sep. 394/480.9
Oct. 369/TBD
Nov. 283/TBD
Dec. 331/TBD

I don't know why we are ahead of the model as much as we are at this point. We have had what seems like a lot of nice sunny weather until two days ago. I suppose it averages out over the months and years, so I wouldn't assume it will always beat the predicted value. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Good luck with getting your system.