Grid-tied solar

/ Grid-tied solar #521  
Just received our first quote for a grid tied solar installation. Comes out to $7,300 for a 9KWh system. That's installed. All components are U.S. manufactured. Awaiting other quotes.

/ Grid-tied solar #522  
Just received our first quote for a grid tied solar installation. Comes out to $7,300 for a 9KWh system. That's installed. All components are U.S. manufactured. Awaiting other quotes.

What kind of subsidies and rebates get the price down that cheap? or have they really come down that much?

/ Grid-tied solar #523  
We just had a system installed and after the 30% fed. credit it was $11400.This is 14 panels with Enphase micro inverters all U.S. parts supposedly. This was $4000 less than the other bid we got.We went with this company because a neighbor used them and was happy.
$7300 sounds like a heck of a deal.

/ Grid-tied solar #524  
Sounds like a super deal...

The local company with great reviews and the one that did the local High School quoted that for a 3 kW 12 panel system using Enphase Micro Inverters and Canadian Solar 255W panels...

It was an upgrade to get the Micro Inverters that have a 25 year warranty.

/ Grid-tied solar #525  
What kind of subsidies and rebates get the price down that cheap? or have they really come down that much?

$1.20 per KW. Just got our second bid. $8500 for a 5KW system, but that does not include the utility credit, so it would drop another $5000.

I'm thinking the 9KWh system is the better deal, since it will handle 92% of our electrical needs, and they estimate the 5KWh system will handle 75%. That and the second bid used Chinese panels. I would rather stick with all U.S. components for a lot of reasons.

/ Grid-tied solar
The quotes you guys are getting makes me wonder if I should get a quote to expand my system. We were at 88% of usage before adding the mini-splits units in June, so now we are using more than before.

I don't have a long enough history yet of how much power the mini-splits will use. The month of July will give me a pretty good idea I think. This June's usage was 130 kWh above June 2013, that was for the last three weeks of June only.

/ Grid-tied solar #527  
The quotes you guys are getting makes me wonder if I should get a quote to expand my system. We were at 88% of usage before adding the mini-splits units in June, so now we are using more than before.

I don't have a long enough history yet of how much power the mini-splits will use. The month of July will give me a pretty good idea I think. This June's usage was 130 kWh above June 2013, that was for the last three weeks of June only.

The mini-splits used more than a central unit? Shocked by that. We were looking at mini-splits as our next move after solar.

/ Grid-tied solar
The mini-splits used more than a central unit? Shocked by that. We were looking at mini-splits as our next move after solar.

Not sure what you mean, or perhaps I have confused you. :laughing: We never had a central unit, or AC of any kind before getting the mini-splits.

Our solar system generated 88% of our needs before we got the split units. The solar will supply a lower percentage now due to increasing our total usage.

/ Grid-tied solar #529  
Not sure what you mean, or perhaps I have confused you. :laughing: We never had a central unit, or AC of any kind before getting the mini-splits.

Our solar system generated 88% of our needs before we got the split units. The solar will supply a lower percentage now due to increasing our total usage.

I assumed you went from central to mini-splits. Your post makes a lot more sense now.

/ Grid-tied solar
I assumed you went from central to mini-splits. Your post makes a lot more sense now.

I thought that may be the case ... and it would be a reasonable assumption in Texas. :)