Antenna for FM, UHF, VHF?

/ Antenna for FM, UHF, VHF?

Thanks Dave, I put that in my wishlist.

The current plan is to take one of my old antennas that came with my old TVs, hang it in the attic and see what happens. You link is timely because I have moved from the idea of getting a larger antenna, which would be directional, to using something smaller. The one station we want is not that far away so the omni directional antennas should work just fine for this one channel. I suspect other channel will be picked up just fine as well. We do want FM though. Our reception to the main radio station can be iffy so the antenna should help.

Now I just have to dig out our old antennas that came with the old TVs, put them in the attic and see what happens. I just have to find the time to get up early in the morning before the heat builds up.

Later,
Dan

I'm about to ditch directtv too. Hate the programing, if you watch a show at noon or miss it, don't worry, it will be back on at 2 pm, 4 pm and 6 pm. Same shows on repeatedly on most all channels every day.

mark

Some of the show repeats are a good thing but some days it seems like you see the show on four or more times! Then the show will be on the next couple of days as well...

Later,
Dan

/ Antenna for FM, UHF, VHF? #23  
I got tired of messing with rotors long ago. They always lock up and something more to go wrong...not to mention more wiring to worry about.

You can also get an adjustable amplifier if your antenna does not seem to pull in some stations, although the omni does come with one. The one below has more gain, if needed.
Antennas Direct | Micron Variable In Line Amplifier Kit

That's a darn good idea about putting it in the attic instead of outside. Now that's thinking inside the box!

Let us know how you do...

Attachments

• Dave tv antenna (1).JPG
    Dave tv antenna (1).JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
   / Antenna for FM, UHF, VHF? #24  
I have a UHF loop, super cheap dollar store antennae hanging in a second floor window. Does just as good, if not better than the one I may and it isn't amplified at all.

/ Antenna for FM, UHF, VHF? #25  
I have a metal roof, barely get one local channel. I don't want satellite. Will an antenna outside and above the metal roof work to get reception. Been a while since I could watch TV. I have the amplified signal rabbit ears- useless.

/ Antenna for FM, UHF, VHF? #26  
TC...I am certainly not an expert, (am a ham, though), and some others will chime in...I hope...

Generally...the higher the antenna, the better the reception. Digital signals require better antenna reception than the analog TV signals of old. With digital, you either get the picture or you don't. Analog, you could still watch a program even though it was snowy.

I also think the antenna under the metal roof impedes performance. You need to have the antenna outside and preferably above the roof line. There's other factors, too. It also depends on where the TV station is located, the power output and the sensitivity, (or gain), of your antenna.

To boil it down...I would set your antenna up outside and experiment around with the height. Use a good quality of coax, like RG59 or RG6, since there is a lot more signal loss over distance with the cheaper thinner coax.

You can save a lot of money in the long run with free TV, (what the heck is that... all the kids ask), and dropping cable or dish. Maybe free TV, landline w/DSL and Netflicks streaming, instead?

I got tired of messing with rotors long ago. They always lock up and something more to go wrong...not to mention more wiring to worry about.

You can also get an adjustable amplifier if your antenna does not seem to pull in some stations, although the omni does come with one. The one below has more gain, if needed.
Antennas Direct | Micron Variable In Line Amplifier Kit

That's a darn good idea about putting it in the attic instead of outside. Now that's thinking inside the box!

Let us know how you do...

Rotors sound like a PITA. I can see the need for them but thankfully we don't have the need. :D We have a big splitter in a wiring box that has COAX going to each room in the house. I think that box has an amp but it has been awhile since I opened up the box to see. The Directv signal has not had a problem with the splitter. What I am going to do is hang an old loop antenna in the attic and replace the COAX to the Directv dish with the COAX going to the loop. Depending on how the works, I will go from there, but an omni directional antenna seems like it might be the best solution. This TBN conversation has moved me from a more directional antenna to an omni.

We have had multiple lightning strikes around the house with the last one being 16 months ago that took out a large Oak about 125 feet from the house. That oak shaded my wood splitting area and I was supposed to be splitting wood the day the bolt hit. The bolt hit out of a clear blue sky. There was a storm front 20-30 miles west of us and I had decided that I would not split wood because I would likely get rained out before I wanted to quit. I was talking on the cell phone and looking out the window when the flash of white happened followed by the bowel releasing boom! :D Bark blown from the tree almost hit the house.

Putting up a lightning rod, errr, antenna does not seem like a good idea. :D An outside antenna is even more problematic because we have large roof overhangs. I dont' want the antenna mounted on the roof so it would have to be held at the roof edge which is well away from the house wall. Furthermore the side of the house that would have the antenna would require a pole at least 20-24 feet to get to the peak of the roof, much less above the roof line.

Later,
Dan

/ Antenna for FM, UHF, VHF? #28  
Dan...When we have storms, we unplug everything within reason. I have my main incoming TV line set up where it is accessable in the house, (and where I can get to it easily), and then down to my basement where the splitters go to each room. That way when we have storms, I undo that main antenna line inside, as well as unplug the amplifier electric plug near it. By unplugging the amplifier, coax from the antenna, and electric to the TV's themselves...it's all disconnected and that's about all you can do. I also have added more ground rods around the house for grounding, too. We have had stuff taken out in the past, but not since we started manually unplugging everything. A direct strike would take out the fridge, AC, etc, though.

Funny thing...I have a solar powered gate opener out front, (with battery), that has never had a problem. Go figure. Maybe because the chain link fence itself is grounded so well in the ground? That thing has been the Rock of Gibralter for at least 17 years.

/ Antenna for FM, UHF, VHF? #29  
Dan...When we have storms, we unplug everything within reason. I have my main incoming TV line set up where it is accessable in the house, (and where I can get to it easily), and then down to my basement where the splitters go to each room. That way when we have storms, I undo that main antenna line inside, as well as unplug the amplifier electric plug near it. By unplugging the amplifier, coax from the antenna, and electric to the TV's themselves...it's all disconnected and that's about all you can do. I also have added more ground rods around the house for grounding, too. We have had stuff taken out in the past, but not since we started manually unplugging everything. A direct strike would take out the fridge, AC, etc, though.

Funny thing...I have a solar powered gate opener out front, (with battery), that has never had a problem. Go figure. Maybe because the chain link fence itself is grounded so well in the ground? That thing has been the Rock of Gibralter for at least 17 years.

Two thoughts -

given the power of lightning maybe this would be ineffective but????????

One thing which I have not done yet, but planning to consider after doing some research on.... (we have some, but not alot of thunderstorms) grounding the removed coax lead.

I have diconnected the antenna lead coming into the house , IN THE HOUSE, and just let it hang in the past, have not been wild leaving it just hang.
I am thinking that when antenna is disconnected, I want to maybe connect the dangling end ( inside house) directly ( coax connectored) or indirectly (wire wrapped outside of coax close but not touching main coax core) to a ground of some sort, thereby try to control direction/ path of lightning to ground, if hits the antenna and follows into house.

I am NOT an electrician- but how have you added extra grounding rods? Have you added them TO the EXISTING power ground rods?, or place elsewhere at sub boxes or other spots??? in the electrical system of the house / shops ect.?
the point why I am asking Is, ( my understanding) you can cause issues if the ground rods are not
properly placed in a wiring system (if placed in/at multiple locations not at original grounding location of the system bad idea)

Last edited:
   / Antenna for FM, UHF, VHF? #30  
I had surprisingly good luck using a six-foot length of coax with one end stripped about 8". Yes, I'm serious--I cut the connector off and stripped the last 8" down to the center conductor (the copper, not the braid/foil), and attached the other end to the TV. Got about twenty channels with it, and I'm down in a bit of a valley.