C Yukon CL coolant leak

/ C Yukon CL coolant leak #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I don't know how the title got changed to "C Yukon CL coolant leak". Should be 2001 GMC Yukon XL coolant leak"...anyway.....

I posted other threads about doing various maintenance on this 195K mile vehicle and our trips, most recently to Red River, NM, which is where we are right now. I debated changing out the water pump before the trip but consensus was not to, both on this and other boards since it was not leaking or making noise. Our trip from north Texas and then from there to here were uneventful until this morning when we were about to head to town.

The "low coolant light" came on and stayed on. I checked under the hood and in the coolant reservoir the level appeared to be maybe a half inch from the full mark. Went ahead and drove to town to the one repair facility, really under the assumption that the water pump was leaking. I talked to the mechanic who was busy and he said bring it back in 3 hours, and that he had the part. I arranged to bring it back for him to look at, but meanwhile i crawled under it and sure enough I could see a couple of orange colored watery drips trying to form on the bottom of the A/C compressor which is mounted on the lower right side of the engine. Say one drop actually let go.

After killing and restarting the engine, the low coolant light has not come back on.

Drove back to the cabin about 4 miles and crawled under there and dried it off with a towel, then let the truck idle for 15 minutes and checked it and could not detect any more leakage. With a flashlight I looked all over and around the water pump and could not detect any leakage anywhere. What appeared to be the drain hole on the pump is perfectly dry. Based on this I cancelled my appointment with the repair facility (was going to take a long time in which we would be without a vehicle and overly expensive IF he actually did change out the water pump).

After another trip to town and back I spent some more time looking around under there and the drips were back on the bottom of the a/c compressor, and I finally got in position where I could train the flash light to the bottom side of the thermostat hosing which is brand new from when they replaced the thermostat a couple weeks ago. It appears to be wet on the very bottom of the housing to the seam where it attaches to the other housing where the 2 heater hoses attach, whereas the part where the heater hoses attach is perfectly dry.

Bottom line it appears to me the new thermostat housing is leaking, very slow. So I made the decision not to do the emergency repair here but to figure I can make it the 600 miles home, keeping an eye on the coolant level. I can't see anything around the water pump and all and the shaft is not wobbling at all. I topped off the coolant level (up to the full mark in the reserve tank) and plan to head home early in the morning. Hope we make it.......

Last edited:
   / C Yukon CL coolant leak #2  
sounds like whoever put the housing on damaged the gasket.. use the wrong gasket.. disn't tighten it properly.. or tha housing is warped...

you SHOULD make it home fine. a dripo water leak that slow wher ethe tank was a 1/" low .. that's soemthing you can check at each fuel up..

/ C Yukon CL coolant leak #3  
I replaced the thermostat gasket several times on the old dodge truck I use to have wondered why I could never get it to stop leaking. Turned out to be a tiny hole in the rad. hose that I kept missing . It was leaking down on the t stat housing making me think it was the t stat housing gasket

/ C Yukon CL coolant leak
After another trip to town and back I checked again. Level in in tank went down an inch. Dang I wish I had fixed it. Seems a little more dripping than before. i have added put nearly a half gallon of coolant in. Don't know when it started leaking.

Used a mirror and looks like a little coolant on under side of heater hose as it goes in. But dried already. Just can't tell where it is leaking or how fast when in motion. I have a half gallon + of antifreeze and a gallon of water in the back floorboard.

I am not sure if the level going down an inch in the reservoir means alot. Could be just a difference in whether the thermostat was open or not versus the last time I checked. The repair shop in Red River is closed on Saturday so I am screwed and will have to chance it. I am so hacked off that I let the guy at the repair chain that replaced the radiator hoses and thermostat talk me out of also replacing the heater hoses as a matter of preventative maintenance. They did a pressure test and "inspected" the hoses and said there is not need to replace them. Not sure if they are leaking or not, but they should have been replaced at the same time. Dang it.

/ C Yukon CL coolant leak #6  
at this point water would be fine... it's a slow leak.. it's not like it's peeing out. that would be one that I would stop and fix.

if it dropped an inch and hour I wouldn't sweat it...

Guess we'll see how it goes. Of course the fear is that it starts leaking faster and I can't replace it fast enough to get anywhere.

/ C Yukon CL coolant leak #8  
Alan, that low coolant light sure seems strange. Nothing you have talked about would seem to make a low coolant light illuminate. I'd suspect a faulty sensor or loose connection. Sometimes having things worked on is an invitation for other problems to show up since the mechanic may inadvertently damage something while fixing something else. I hope you get home okay and get this resolved. I believe I'd do exactly what you are doing and check the level often while keeping my eyes on the temperature gage. I think you'll make it home with no problem.

/ C Yukon CL coolant leak #9  
Alan, that low coolant light sure seems strange. Nothing you have talked about would seem to make a low coolant light illuminate..

i have a yuk as well.

it's ommon knowledge i'm no longer a fan of gm.. mostly because of this lemony flavored POS they sold me.

there is apparrently a sensor in the recovery tank.

the one in mine will sometimes go off and say low coolant even if the tank is within 1/2" from the 'full hot' line.. which.. is at least half the tank or more.

I don't want to go on a gm bash.. so I'll stop now.

the problems he's seeing are IMHO.. common..

/ C Yukon CL coolant leak #10  
I think you'll make it home with no problem.

I agree, and don't beat yourself up over the heater hose as they seldom fail and you don't really know what the problem is. Furthermore, at 200k miles, things start to go awry, doesn't really matter who the manufacturer is. You could have replaced the heater hose and still have a leak.
I say stop worrying about the leak and hope your tranny stays together:laughing:.
I don't think you have much to worry about, when you get home you can pinpoint the problem and fix it right.