HVAC puzzle

/ HVAC puzzle #21  
Sorry to hear of your troubles. In our current house, I locked all the dampers full open and adjust flow by closing or opening the registers in each room to the desired comfort level. I realize the longer runs get a tad less flow as do rooms that frequently have their doors closed and no return air due to carpet under the doors, so in rooms with better flow I tend to close the registers more, which forces more air down the longer runs.

Of course, in winter, with the wood burner running, all bets are off. :laughing:

/ HVAC puzzle #22  
Baseboard registers have a screw to limit the open position. It can still be closed but the open limit is set with the screw. Wonder if they would consider that "locked"?

/ HVAC puzzle
Moss, I also burn wood, but I didn't want complicate the discussion further by adding reality. :)
Heviduty, they would not accept a limiter in place of a lock.

I still can't find a 4x10 ceiling damper like the round one posted.

/ HVAC puzzle #25  
Here is the wording;
6.2.4.6. Adjustable Dampers and Balance Stops
(1) All branch supply ducts for residential systems shall be equipped with volume control dampers at the boot to permit balancing or shall be fitted with a diffuser incorporating an adjustable and lockable volume control device that can be set in a fixed position.

Notice the underlined bit after the OR

Every register in my home has one of these on the opening. Can buy them at Lowes in many materials, styles, and colors for very reasonable prices.

I don't see what the problem is

/ HVAC puzzle #26  
Sounds like maybe its acceptable for each register diffuser to be adjustable and lockable?

/ HVAC puzzle
Sail, wye you are right. Adjustable lockable diffusers are acceptable.
Adjustable is easy to find, lockable, not so much. The lock would have to be something like a set screw, latch or lock nut that prevents the damper from changing position. I have not found them at Lowes, Homedepot or other retailers. If you have a link to such a product please post it. I may have missed it.

Moss, it's not just a quote, sometimes it seems like a way of life. Use at your own risk.

/ HVAC puzzle #28  
You will find that the ones at lowes are lockable.

Your expectations for lockable are too high.

Lockable means set it and it doesn't change.

Sent from my MB525 using TractorByNet

/ HVAC puzzle
I contacted the distributor. They build to customer spec'd dimensions, which is perfect.
I received a quote for qty 8. They're $38 each. Hmmmm.............