HVAC puzzle

/ HVAC puzzle #1  

Tig

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota, B7100HST-D
Our building code requires adjustable LOCKABLE dampers at the boot for all supply registers.
The accepted practice is to put those round dampers in the pipe just before the boot and snug them down. Which is fine for the first floor. My crawlspace will always be accessible for adjustment and locking of the dampers to make seasonal adjustments.
The second floor is another story. The wingnut locks will be in the ceiling so once the drywall goes on there will be no more access to unlock or lock. Which would be OK if my heating and cooling airflow requirements were equal, but they are not. So one must reach down the register and adjust, without backing off the lock or re-locking.

In my last house all dampers were accessible in the basement and seasonal adjustment took a minute. the bedrooms were always cool, winter and summer. Just the way we like em. This arrangement does not meet code.
I rather not install dampers just for the sake of inspection, since they will inhibit seasonal balancing.

So I'm looking for a lockable register or lockable damper for the boot. The lock is simply a lock nut or bolt.
Has anyone seen such a product?

/ HVAC puzzle #2  
No, but I have to say that is just a bizarre requirement. Any idea what they were thinking?

/ HVAC puzzle #3  
Access panels?

/ HVAC puzzle
Here is the wording;
6.2.4.6. Adjustable Dampers and Balance Stops
(1) All branch supply ducts for residential systems shall be equipped with volume control dampers at the boot to permit balancing or shall be fitted with a diffuser incorporating an adjustable and lockable volume control device that can be set in a fixed position.

Seems to be all about balancing the airflow while standing at the boot. I guess they want a one man operation with no running up and down stairs.
I have also heard various iterations of "dampers must be at the end of the duct to keep the velocity up in the rest of the duct". But flow is flow, so what goes in comes out at the same rate, regardless of where the flow control is. The only difference would be pressure in the duct, but I've not heard that mentioned.
Maybe someone with some HVAC experience can shed some light on this.

/ HVAC puzzle #5  
Locked wide open dampers above the ceiling (sucks I know) and an accessible damper on the trunk near the air handler/furnace?

Personally, I wouldn't want dampers in unconditioned or inaccessible space. They all leak at the shaft.

/ HVAC puzzle
Access panels?
Plumbing access panels worked out well. Closet and pantry ceiling.
Only two of the seven upper floor registers would be in places where access panels would work. One in the pantry, another concealed by a kitchen cupboard. The rest would be in the dining, living and master bedroom ceilings.

/ HVAC puzzle
Locked wide open dampers above the ceiling (sucks I know) and an accessible damper on the trunk near the air handler/furnace?

That would pass, but it seems so silly to put boot dampers in the duct if they serve no functional purpose.

/ HVAC puzzle #8  
Could you modify/re-engineer the to-be-buried boots such that the lock-nut is accessible from the register/diffuser? Do some drilling and soldering (assuming metal) to fix the outside bolt head in place?

/ HVAC puzzle
   / HVAC puzzle #10  
Plumbing access panels worked out well. Closet and pantry ceiling.
Only two of the seven upper floor registers would be in places where access panels would work. One in the pantry, another concealed by a kitchen cupboard. The rest would be in the dining, living and master bedroom ceilings.
they can be had as small as 6x6 (15cm x 15 cm :D just noticed you're in Canada) we paint them the ceiling color where you have to have them