puzzling pickup problem

/ puzzling pickup problem #21  
don't know if your V6 is anything like the V6 in my '99 Windstar... somtimes they use a perversion of the same block for rear wheel drive and front wheel drive.
My Windstar was slowly leaking coolant... never enough to show a puddle under the engine, until it finally blew. It has a 6 or 8 inch piece of metal tubing (1.5" maybe) going down from the water pump, then another 8 or 10 inch piece of hose to the bottom of the rad. That piece of metal tubing was rotten from end to end, and finally blew apart. $240 repair job. (probably more than the Windstar is worth.)

Pete

/ puzzling pickup problem #22  
I have two of this year model 150 and replacing the heater coil is not a quick job. You basically have to trip the dash. in fact one of them is in the shop now with the heater oil out.

/ puzzling pickup problem #23  
I have two of this year model 150 and replacing the heater coil is not a quick job. You basically have to trip the dash. in fact one of them is in the shop now with the heater oil out.

I've always thought that is one of dumbest engineering "features" on vehicles. It's not like any one of us couldn't design a better way in about 15 mins. Must be a real money maker :mad: To finish my rant, I want rain gutters and vent-wing windows back :)

/ puzzling pickup problem #24  
Yea, I know what you mean. We have a shop and do our own repairs, but nevertheless that's time we could be doing something else. We have several projects going on now so I did ask a local auto shop for a price on changing it for me....... $700. I think the new coil and seal kit was $100 from Ford.

/ puzzling pickup problem #25  
The O ring seal on the radiator end tanks is common, will seep and evaporate. Timing cover gaskets and head gasket leaks are common also. You would smell the heatercore leak. If you can get a black light or bulb, check radiator, hoses,fittings and gasket mating surfaces. this works best in a dark building or at night. The antifreeze will look neon green. If you try a stop leak AC delco makes cooling system pelets, 5 to a pack, GM requires this as regular maintenance on there aluminum engines. I use these in everything. Also look at the bottom of the waterpump, for a dried up residue trail. Good luck!

Dave

/ puzzling pickup problem #26  
The Ford engine to '96 into 2001 engines had a intake manifold problem and was changed out under warrenty. might check if yours is included. What happened was the water would leak out from a crack and evaporate near front of engine Had mine replaced and the new owner had a problem of overheating engine told him and it was again replaced. A loss of fluid is always a sign of getting something done or engine rebuild.
ken

/ puzzling pickup problem
we made it back and forth to the market with no problem. 70 or so miles round trip. i did a lot of sniffing but didn't smell a thing. at the market i checked the coolant level and it didn't look like it moved from where i filled it to. i'll check it again later. my guess here is that there is a slow coolant leak but not from the heater core. i'd like to try the defroster thing to see if it messes up the windshield but i don't want to clean the windshield.

/ puzzling pickup problem #28  
That engine has coolant circulating through the intake manifold. there is a steel tube 1/2" dia. pressed into the aluminum intake manifold near the front of the engine behind the EGR valve. That tube is a press fit and it has a stop crimp in it where they crimp the tube, the metal is really thin and will tend to corrode if you don't change the coolant at 30000 like the manual says. The leak starts out as a pin hole and is hard to see. It will dump coolant down the front of the engine, not much but you can smell it out side the truck. It should be leaking if the engine is warm if the hole is there.

/ puzzling pickup problem #29  
If you have an automatic transmission, check the Tranny fluid. The radiator internal transmission cooler may have a pinhole leak an the fluid is going into the transmission. Oil temp light on most vehicles is for the transmission temp not engine oil temp.

I owned a tranny shop in a previous life and came upon this on rare occasion.

You can fry the tranny if this is the cause.

/ puzzling pickup problem #30  
Some models have one warning lamp OIL/Temp, to warn you of a problem, so you will look at the guages. Best of both worlds.

Dave