puzzling pickup problem

/ puzzling pickup problem #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
yesterday evening my wife and i were driving home with a load of fresh horse manure in the pickup truck when the oil temp light came on. well at first i thought the oil level was low so i pulled over and checked to be sure there was oil but now i realize that it is the oil temp light that came on. this is a 99 f-150 with the v6. so we continued driving and then i saw that the temperature gauge was on hot. pulled over again and shut it down and waited a couple. we started up again and it had cooled down a bit. so we got home without the truck exhibiting and of the symptoms you might look for in vehicle that is running way too hot. no burning smell. no coolant smell. no excessive blast of heat when i lifted the hood. when it cooled down i checked the radiator plastic tank and it was empty. i put water in. so now i finally got around to running it to try to get it to repeat the incident but it didn't happen.
do you think its possible that this occurred because of insufficient coolant? i will check the level again when it cools down a bit since i just ran it. must be a slow coolant leak somewhere?

/ puzzling pickup problem #2  
yesterday evening my wife and i were driving home with a load of fresh horse manure in the pickup truck when the oil temp light came on. well at first i thought the oil level was low so i pulled over and checked to be sure there was oil but now i realize that it is the oil temp light that came on. this is a 99 f-150 with the v6. so we continued driving and then i saw that the temperature gauge was on hot. pulled over again and shut it down and waited a couple. we started up again and it had cooled down a bit. so we got home without the truck exhibiting and of the symptoms you might look for in vehicle that is running way too hot. no burning smell. no coolant smell. no excessive blast of heat when i lifted the hood. when it cooled down i checked the radiator plastic tank and it was empty. i put water in. so now i finally got around to running it to try to get it to repeat the incident but it didn't happen.
do you think its possible that this occurred because of insufficient coolant? i will check the level again when it cools down a bit since i just ran it. must be a slow coolant leak somewhere?

Water pump leaking ??????????

/ puzzling pickup problem #3  
Is the radiator fan working correctly?
You said oil temp light?
Typically the oil light is oil pressure and the temp is water temp.
Did you check the oil?

/ puzzling pickup problem #5  
Puzzling pickup problem... I was thinking of something else until I saw the word wife?

mark

/ puzzling pickup problem #6  
I had a very similar problem which caused much consternation before I could figure out that I had a very small leak in my heater core. Over time I developed a small air bubble that would sometimes form on one side of the thermostat preventing it from operating correctly. I'd refill the coolant tank and be fine for a while but then I would overheat even though I had coolant. I finally burped the whole rig - left the radiator cap open and just kept letting it spill over and added more water - until I worked all of the air bubbles out. It took a while, but it doesn't happen so long as I stay on top of my coolant level.

/ puzzling pickup problem #7  
I had a very similar problem which caused much consternation before I could figure out that I had a very small leak in my heater core. Over time I developed a small air bubble that would sometimes form on one side of the thermostat preventing it from operating correctly. I'd refill the coolant tank and be fine for a while but then I would overheat even though I had coolant. I finally burped the whole rig - left the radiator cap open and just kept letting it spill over and added more water - until I worked all of the air bubbles out. It took a while, but it doesn't happen so long as I stay on top of my coolant level.

That's funny. I have this exact same problem with my Jetta. I have had it at the mechanic twice and he swears he can't find a leak, but every so often, my coolant reservoir is empty. I wonder if that's it.

/ puzzling pickup problem #8  
Both brin and jomar215 mentioned the things I'd check; fan clutch and heater core. I used to have one of those 1999 F150s with the V-6. Never had those problems with that truck, but I've seen it on others.

/ puzzling pickup problem
i'm for sure going to bring some additional coolant/water mix with me. i read that you have to take the dash board apart to replace the heater core but the part itself is pretty cheap. if the heater core is leaking some will it drip to the ground while the truck is parked? the fan is working. we'll see how well it gets us to the farmers market tomorrow morning.
mark-sorry to disappoint. wife doesn't approve of any pickup but the truck.

/ puzzling pickup problem #10  
I'm not real sure on that model, but I think it would not drip to the ground. A slow enough leak can evaporate before it runs down and drips on the ground, and some heater cores (I suspect yours) will leak onto the floor/carpet inside the truck on the passenger side if the leak is big enough instead of outside. And of course at this point I guess we're not at all sure that's your problem.