Got a Colt 45 1911. Now what.

/ Got a Colt 45 1911. Now what. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I was recently given an almost new Colt 45 automatic 1911 Government model. By its serial number it looks like it was made in the 1950s. I hunt and I have a fair number of guns but I'm not really a gun guy. It looks like it might be worth around $1000. I do not get the impression from reading on the internet that it is worth anything to collectors.

Anyway, I have some questions for you folks that know a lot about pistols:

First, since it does not appear to be a collectors item (it is in the original box but it has been fired and has wear marks on it in the usual places) is this a gun that you would carry and shoot for fun or should it be stuffed in the box and into the back of the gun safe?

Second, I shot the gun yesterday....and I've shot 1911s before...but the muzzle climb on that sucker is just awful. Seems worse that my .357 S&W revolver. If you had or have a 1911, have you or would you do any modifications to make it a little more civilized. I'm not looking to make it into a match or target pistol. I'm just wondering if it is worth it to do a few mods to make it more fun to shoot and possible a better self defense pistol. And if I should go that route, what basic mods would you do. I have a buddy that used to shoot combat competition matches with a highly modified custom 1911 and it had a thing on the end that I think he called a chimney. It routes exhaust gas upward to diminish muzzle climb. Is that a viable, affordable option? I'm assuming you have to modify the barrel or buy a new one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ Got a Colt 45 1911. Now what. #2  
If you have a stock Colt Gov't Model of mid-1950's vintage in barely used condition I would guess the auction value at around $600. Of course what it is actually worth is what a buyer will pay.

You can have a "compensator" added to the pistol to reduce recoil but they are expensive.

You may have been shooting 230 grain "hardball" or full power combat loads in some lighter bullet weight. Find some 200 grain lead "target loads" or 200 grain full metal jacket "target loads." Lighter bullets, less powder = less recoil. Target loads will strike slightly lower than full power loads.

Walmart generally has low prices on 45 ACP; Walmart ammo is packed in 100 round boxes. Every Walmart has a different selection.

There is nothing wrong with .45 ACP target reloads if they function OK in your pistol. It takes about 500 rounds fired through a Gov't model before it becomes reliable, and the Gov't model always requires plenty of lubrication. Best reloaded ammo prices are generally on the web.

Practice, practice, practice. With enough practice you will be able to handle the .45 fine, if you can handle a .357 revolver firing .357 cartridges.

The 45 ACP and .357 magnum are toward the upper end of what the average shooter can handle in recoil. You will need to practice, practice, practice.

Amazon.com has about a million books on the Colt Gov't Model and shooting the Colt Gov't Model.

Last edited:
   / Got a Colt 45 1911. Now what.
Thanks Jeff. Your probably right about the loads I was shooting. Came in a brown cardboard box and look like gov't issue. Fairly old but my Dad had scribbled 'non-corrosive' so the primers were fine. As far as the value, I had just done a quick search. But it was my grandfather's gun so I don't plan on getting rid of it at any price.

I'm a fairly big guy and recoil doesn't bother me in terms of discomfort. Shooting the 357 seems 'normal' to me. With the 45 its just that the muzzle rises so much it takes time and effort to get it back down on target. I did not really put the pistol through its paces yesterday I just put a shoe box up at about 15 yards or so and got the whole clip full in a palm sized group shooting sort of quickly. So I think once I get used to it I'll be able to do better...and get it done faster. I guess with an automatic with that much recoil you just have to get used to the rhythm of it. Like you say, practice, practice, practice.

As you recommended I'll look for some lighter loads too.

Does the compensator you speak of decrease muzzle rise and recoil or just recoil?

/ Got a Colt 45 1911. Now what. #4  
A few thoughts on my 1911... it is large, heavy, difficult to conceal and 7 shots. It is however, a fun recreational gun as it is a fire breathing beast.

/ Got a Colt 45 1911. Now what. #5  
First, I have owned several and still own a 70's Gold Cup National Match, but I am far from an expert. You can spend as much or little as you want to "improve" on the stock configuration, so you might want to check out some of the options. Some you can do while others will need a gunsmith.

The last stock 1911 I had, I polished the feed ramp, lowered and contoured the ejection port to keep it from dinging the brass, put different sights, forgot which ones and put some Pachmayer grips. I liked it fine that way, but if I ever do another, I will do a bit more, but it was a pretty good shooter. I don't find the recoil objectionable, so I doubt I would go with a compensated barrel.

There are some competition shooters and others here who know a lot more about this model than I, so hopefully they will come along and I will delete mine. Good luck.

EDIT: My post was delayed by a satellite outage and you have already gotten some good advice.

All true. But concealability is not an issue for me and I don't have or want a permit and will never get one. If I had been buying a pistol I doubt that I would have chosen this one, but it was free. And it is smaller than the 357 I usually carry.

I've been doing a little more reading elsewhere and it sounds like jeff is right on the money. A good compensator system would cost more than the gun is worth. Cheap 'bushing' systems apparently do nothing. And several people (who seemed to know what they were talking about) echoed jeff's advice that learning the gun, adjusting your grip and practicing a lot will yield very good results.

Off topic....and likely to derail the whole thread....but in general I do not think pistols make good personal defense weapons unless two conditions are met: 1) your weapon must be concealed and 2) you are not only proficient with the gun but also proficient with it in the types of (real) situations in which your skills with it will be required. In other words, I might be hot stuff shooting at metal targets but go completely useless when someone is shooting at me...I'm almost certain of it.:laughing:

My father who had 20+ years in law enforcement (and two partners shot while they were with other partners) taught me that the best personal defense weapon is a shotgun. He always contended that a short, single shot 20 gauge shotgun with a wide open choke was the best home defense gun. You need virtually no training, if you can point it in a general direction you will hit your target, you can be big or small and you hardly have to be cool under pressure to use it. He felt like it would solve 99% of any type of home invasion situations. By extension, I contend that in virtually any close quarter self defense situation, a short Remington 870 12ga with a wide open choke and full of triple ought buckshot. You can fill a room with 80, nearly 30 caliber lead balls in a little more than a second or two. It is simple to use and it will not fail. In a bad, close range situation I'd chose an 870 over just about anything on earth short of a grenade.

Thanks TripleR, you're right in line with most of the advice I'm getting. I'll probably go for some grips. The stock ones on this gun are plastic and actually look pretty cheap. Sights might also be a cheap-ish improvement.

I also need to talk to my buddy who used to shoot a 1911 in combat competitions but he is never around anymore. He gave up pistol shooting and went hardcore into sporting clays which he now does professionally and internationally...he is never home.

/ Got a Colt 45 1911. Now what. #8  
Like was said practice is key.

Read up on the correct way to handle a 1911.

There are a few basic's to master with the 1911, once done you will laugh at this experience you just described.

I am old school, Jeff Cooper's methods are what I was taught and practice

Have fun-- J

/ Got a Colt 45 1911. Now what. #9  
All true. But concealability is not an issue for me and I don't have or want a permit and will never get one. If I had been buying a pistol I doubt that I would have chosen this one, but it was free. And it is smaller than the 357 I usually carry.

I've been doing a little more reading elsewhere and it sounds like jeff is right on the money. A good compensator system would cost more than the gun is worth. Cheap 'bushing' systems apparently do nothing. And several people (who seemed to know what they were talking about) echoed jeff's advice that learning the gun, adjusting your grip and practicing a lot will yield very good results.

Off topic....and likely to derail the whole thread....but in general I do not think pistols make good personal defense weapons unless two conditions are met: 1) your weapon must be concealed and 2) you are not only proficient with the gun but also proficient with it in the types of (real) situations in which your skills with it will be required. In other words, I might be hot stuff shooting at metal targets but go completely useless when someone is shooting at me...I'm almost certain of it.:laughing:

My father who had 20+ years in law enforcement (and two partners shot while they were with other partners) taught me that the best personal defense weapon is a shotgun. He always contended that a short, single shot 20 gauge shotgun with a wide open choke was the best home defense gun. You need virtually no training, if you can point it in a general direction you will hit your target, you can be big or small and you hardly have to be cool under pressure to use it. He felt like it would solve 99% of any type of home invasion situations. By extension, I contend that in virtually any close quarter self defense situation, a short Remington 870 12ga with a wide open choke and full of triple ought buckshot. You can fill a room with 80, nearly 30 caliber lead balls in a little more than a second or two. It is simple to use and it will not fail. In a bad, close range situation I'd chose an 870 over just about anything on earth short of a grenade.

Yeah, you are getting into a whole other area that has been hotly debated. I can't buy the "virtually no training, general direction thing" no disrespect to your dad, but can't argue against the 12 gauge. My son is a former military, police instructor etc. and if he knew trouble was coming, he would go for his 870 first too. I carried and trained with handguns for over thirty years and am comfortable with my ability, but give me some warning and I'll grab something else too.

/ Got a Colt 45 1911. Now what. #10  
To compare muzzle rise, I have to ask first What do you normally shoot?

Like mentioned above, get you some 185 or 200 semi wad cutters loaded up. I have a Colt Gold Cup and a smallish spanish made 45 acp. the small one kicks like a mule with 230 grain loads.

I would recommend you leave the old gun stock, or buy parts modified that will fit it. You can find a decent, modifiable pistol that has no memories attached to it for about $600 used.

Back to muzzle rise, with a .45 you don't need a double tap. One shot usually does it. This is not considered a "carry weapon". However, having one in your vehicle (not on your person) is a good way to carry it.
Howabout a picture?