prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ?

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ? #11  
Check out millenicom.com no contract no sales tax.

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ? #12  
Soundguy half your specifications went over my head. As I understand it you need broadband signal for the replacement laptop when it is in the office. If you can get by temporarily without broadband for that laptop in the field then you might consider the following:

Dedicate the retired PCMCIA-equipped laptop to serve as a modem that provides signal to other devices in the office, perhaps only to the new laptop, by feeding its Ethernet output into a wired or wireless router. This can be done using Internet Connection Sharing which has been included in Windows since 98SE.

This will buy you some time to find better alternatives and avoid that contract renewal. Assuming you have an extra router to use for this, it will cost nothing beyond the time you put into setting it up. If I remember correctly, you would need nothing more than a single Ethernet cable to drive the new laptop directly connected to the old laptop.

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ? #13  
We have had Verizon and sprint USB modems at work and the Verizon seemed to have better coverage and download speeds in our experience (all over VA)..

I was using the Virgin Mobil prepaid MIFI (which I have for sale, I only used it 4 mths) - I averaged 800 kbs speeds download, but dropped them when the started capping the 'unlimited' EVDO (3g) bandwidth at 2gb before they lowered the speeds to around 100 kbs.

We are now with Verizon and our 3g mifi (hotspot) averaged 1.5 Mbs, we then upgraded to their 4g mifi and average 12 to 15 Mbs download and 3 to 6 Mbs upload speeds..

So far we have never been anywhere we didnt have Verizon coverage that someone else had data coverage.

Brian

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ? #14  
As mentioned - Millinicom (sp) is a sprint and verizon reseller at GREAT prices..

You have to google the mifi/modem model number to see which company that modem is with..

Last time i looked the 'unlimited' and BYO package was with Sprint

The 20gb package (10gb of 4g and then 10gb of 3g) was with Verizon.

Brian

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ? #15  
I would ask what towers are nearby and how many gb do you usually use in a month?

I had good luck with a Verizon USB flshdrive, but costly. I'm now testing T-mobile pay-as-you go, good pricing but not as strong a signal countrywide.

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ?
a 3g plan would likely do me.. but may go 5g and just get better pricing. heavily looking at t mobile. still looking at all the options now though.

I like that pc card wireless router that uses the pc card.

anyone got links to other models that do the same? IE.. allows to use a pcmcia card plugged into the router?

it's a neat idea, and at least one more for me to offer when i make the presentation ( plea ) :) to the budget people with the axes and blindfolds.. :)

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ? #17  
I should have mentioned that my T-mobile is a hotspot where it's prepaid $35 for 3.5 gb and $50 for 5gb. But of course you need a good tower nearby, but works great if there is.

Good luck with those budget folks. :teacher:

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ?
interesting.. I'm looking at similar plans here.. and looking good too.

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ? #19  
Ill will add.. Verizon just introduced their 'shared data' plans..

In the past with VZ each device had to buy its own data plan.

The new plan allows unlimited devices to share a 'bucket' of data - so that may save you some money, but obviously you will have to do the math

Brian

/ prepaid mobile broadband usb modem vs prepaid wifi hotspot ? #20  
a 3g plan would likely do me.. but may go 5g and just get better pricing. heavily looking at t mobile. still looking at all the options now though.
I like that pc card wireless router that uses the pc card.
anyone got links to other models that do the same? IE.. allows to use a pcmcia card plugged into the router?
it's a neat idea, and at least one more for me to offer when i make the presentation ( plea ) :) to the budget people with the axes and blindfolds.. :)
IMO, if you have to buy a router for $150ish you would be money ahead to get a dedicated hotspot, but that's just me.
Anyhow, here are a few more:
3G Wireless USB / PCMCIA Cellular Router | Aluratek
New LinkSys WRT54G3G-ST EVDO Router Firmware Supports Expresscards : EVDOinfo.com <-This site seems to have lots of info on various cell network modems and routers
Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-450 3G Mobile Router for EV-DO Networks IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g
D-Link | DIR-451 3G Mobile Router for UMTS/HSDPA Networks

Aaron Z