Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #91  
I remember when I was in grade-school (1 thru 6 was in one building, 7 thru 12 in another) for lunch we could walk down to Isaly's for a chipped ham sandwich and a Twinkie (provided you had a permission slip from home). Also remember saving stamps in a little booklet that when full got you a Savings Bond. Speaking of stamps, mom used to save S&H Green Stamps and get stuff with those. And then there was sled riding in the winter. My cousins lived up the street and had a big yard with a hill perfect for sledding. All the kids in the neighborhood would be out all day on that hill. Sleds were "the" gift for Christmas - right up there with Lionel Trains and Red Ryder BB guns.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #92  
I think I probably saw my first one about 1964. My wife to be was living with an aunt and uncle in Dallas and they had a color TV. But we got our first one in 1969. This same time of year, the State Fair of Texas was going and J.C. Penny had a booth in one of the buildings with the TVs on display. The sales lady said they would deliver it at no cost, and after some period of time (I think it was a month) I could decide whether I wanted to pay for it or to have them come get it and pay nothing. So I signed up. The day before they were to deliver it, that same lady called and told me that TV is going on sale, so if you decide to keep it, it'll be $50 less than the price we agreed on at the Fair. We kept it.:D

Believe it or not, I saw my first color TV in 1955 or 56. Our high school class was touring WKY TV studios in Oklahoma City; they had a closed circuit color TV hooked up and running. Needless to say, it was a big hit. The first B&W TV I ever saw was about 1951 or 52, and it was in a bar. They made me watch through the window, but Hoppalong Cassidy was after the bad guys, so I wasn't put out at all!

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #93  
Remember when a hot school lunch was 10 cents.

mark

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #94  

mark

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #95  

mark

I remember lunch being 35 cents. I have to say we had some terrific food back then. Most of it was made from scratch and was delicious. My two favorites were turkey gravy over mashed potatoes or chile with corn bread.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #96  

mark

Wow! You either go way back, or lunches were cheaper in Virginia than they were in Oklahoma. In the mid 1950's we paid $1.00 per week, and my folks had a hard time coming up with the $2.00 for me and my brother!

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #97  
How about your first computer experience? My Mother taught at a university and I went to a Jr. High School, 7th,8th & 9th grade, at the university. In 1965 they wheeled in a machine about the size of two coffins stacked on top of each other and we did punch cards to let the machine add up 2 + 2. I couldn't see the point, I already knew what 2 + 2 equaled. Things have changed.

MarkV

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #98  
I remember lunch being 35 cents. I have to say we had some terrific food back then. Most of it was made from scratch and was delicious. My two favorites were turkey gravy over mashed potatoes or chile with corn bread.

I have fond memories of the turkey gravy & smashed taters lunch in elementary school (by HS I was skipping off campus for Burger King).

I also remember the "weiner wraps" burned on the ends with chewey/doughy home-made (fresh made in cafeteria) one peice buns...

I seem to recall in elementary school lunches were $0.35 and milk was a nickle...

Be well,
David

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #99  
I remember when I was in grade-school (1 thru 6 was in one building, 7 thru 12 in another) for lunch we could walk down to Isaly's for a chipped ham sandwich and a Twinkie (provided you had a permission slip from home). Also remember saving stamps in a little booklet that when full got you a Savings Bond. Speaking of stamps, mom used to save S&H Green Stamps and get stuff with those. And then there was sled riding in the winter. My cousins lived up the street and had a big yard with a hill perfect for sledding. All the kids in the neighborhood would be out all day on that hill. Sleds were "the" gift for Christmas - right up there with Lionel Trains and Red Ryder BB guns.

My granny always had a drawer full of Green Stamps. I can remember visiting and putting the stamps into books. When I was an adult Green Stamps were still around and I still have a coffee grinder I bought with the stamps. I think Green Stamps went out of business but I heard they had come back. I even remember getting Green Stamps when filling up with gas.

I think someone mentioned it but I have a couple collections of glasses from getting glasses when filling up with glass. I can remember using glasses as a kid my parents had gotten from the gas station. I have not seen a glass promotion in years if not decades.

I have been trying to remember for months how much lunch and breakfast cost at school. I think it was 15 cents for breakfast and 35 for lunch.

Later,
Dan

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #100  
Can't really recall how much lunch was, but an extra milk was 2 cents. Kept the coins in a corner of my handkerchief tied up in a knot. All the boys played mumbly peg at recess (eveybody carried a penknife). 4 room schoolhouse with 2 grades in each room. Lunch was brought to us at our desks on real plates and if you were still hungry, you could go around to the kitchen at recess and the cooks would give you a peanut butter sandwich.