Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..

When I started to school, we carried our lunch. Mine usually included a pint jar of milk, but there was no refrigerator at school, so in warm weather, my milk was sometimes soured by lunch time. When the school did start providing lunch, I think it cost a dime.
    Bird

Elite Member
    Tractor
    kioti ck30

I always carried my lunch, we did not have the money to buy it. I think it was less then a dollar by the time I got to high school, I do remember milk being 3 cents for a half pint.

Tractor
    LS R3039, Power King 1614, Simplicity Soveriegn 75th Aniv model.

If I remember correctly (and that is a big IF), milk was a nickle a bottle for white and 7 cents for chocolate. Those little glass bottles were nice and people around here collect them. The milk came from Clark's Dairy.

Quote Originally Posted by joemd11 View Post
    If I remember correctly (and that is a big IF), milk was a nickle a bottle for white and 7 cents for chocolate. Those little glass bottles were nice and people around here collect them. The milk came from Clark's Dairy.
    Speaking of "little" glass bottles; how many remember when nearly every cafe (we didn't have "restaurants" back then) had little glass bottles maybe half the size of a modern shot glass and served them with cream in them for your coffee? Back then, my Dad drank lots of coffee, but no cream in it, so when I was little, I got to drink the cream.
    Bird

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

I was thinking of the time they paved our school play ground and left barrels of tar there. There were 3-4 left and they sat there for about 3 mts until two friends of mine decided to play in it. They were covered in it and had tar eveywhere. when we went back into school (our classroom was above the gym so we had to go up stairs to our room. It was like the scene from the christmas story where no one knew anything. Except the principe followed the tar footprints into our room, and pulled the two guys out, one had his math book stuck to his hand the other pencils he couldnt put down due to the tar. They had to come in saturday to clean.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

When I was growing up, we always called regular milk - "Sweet Milk". I still call it "Sweet Milk" to this day.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Speaking of "little" glass bottles; how many remember when nearly every cafe (we didn't have "restaurants" back then) had little glass bottles maybe half the size of a modern shot glass and served them with cream in them for your coffee? Back then, my Dad drank lots of coffee, but no cream in it, so when I was little, I got to drink the cream.
    I remember Bird, they had little round cardboard caps on them and I got to drink my Dad's as well..he drank the coffee black....
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Quote Originally Posted by creekbend View Post
    When I was growing up, we always called regular milk - "Sweet Milk". I still call it "Sweet Milk" to this day.
    Me, too.
    Bird

New England Yankee living in Central Maine
    Tractor
    NH TC30

We dipped our milk out of the bulk tank. If my mother wanted cream, it came from the top. The Guernseys' milk was yellowish, Holsteins' milk whitish. It was normal milk to us- raw milk to others and bad tasting. When the corn went into the silo and the cows got some, the taste changed, same for when they were on grass in the spring. It took me a long time to get used to pasteurized milk. Today I use heavy cream in my coffee.
    2003 NH TC30, 5' International Agritech Bushog, Hiller/Bedder, + miscellaneous and sundry items of use.

Yep, what the cows have to eat can change the flavor of the milk. Did your cows every get into any ragweed? When that happened, all the milk went to the hogs and chickens for a couple of days. My granddad had Guernseys, we had Jerseys. And Dad's best friend from the time they were little kids worked on Guernsey dairies his whole life, except for his time in the SeaBees during WWII.
    Bird

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast