Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #111  
I just got back from a ride past some of the farms i helped with haying, I had not been through there for years. All the farms are gone just giant houses, I had the police called on me because i was sitting along the road just looking out over the farms. i told the police what i was doing and showed them my ID. I was told to move along because the people living on the land didn't like strangers. i guess they are well connected since I was on a public road. The raw milk from the barn coolers was what I drank in between the hay wagons, all is gone now.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #112  
Wasn't much in the way of ragweed in the pasture, but sometimes we'd cut and bale and feed them green grass when the pasture was low (heavy bales!)- then it could change. I used to love helping unload the corn silage onto the blower belt, loved the smell of chopped corn. But the foam coming out between the boards of the silo when it started to ferment was something else. Strong!
-best icecream I ever had was from a Jersey farm near Antioch, Ohio. They made their own- and you could taste the cream in it!

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #113  
I helped on three large dairy farms for hunting privileges. I started out helping them butcher and ended up doing the butchering when they got too old. They had chickens that of course ran loose so every fall I would take the 22 and kill off all the roosters except for one or two. Then it was the hogs at Thanksgiving then New Years we would kill a steer. They would always give me a few chickens and some scrapple and the steer I got steak. Mother always liked that.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #114  
-best icecream I ever had was from a Jersey farm near Antioch, Ohio. They made their own- and you could taste the cream in it!

If it was right on SR 68, that's Young's dairy. Still in business and yes the ice cream is worth the drive.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #115  
I remember lunch being 35 cents. I have to say we had some terrific food back then. Most of it was made from scratch and was delicious. My two favorites were turkey gravy over mashed potatoes or chile with corn bread.

The elementary school I went to made some of the best peanut butter cookies you ever had in your life ! :thumbsup:

Boone

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..
Does anyone remember doing this? When we were young, my Bothers and I would ride our bicycles searching the ditches and sides of the roads for discarded pop bottles. Some of you may refer to them as soda bottles. That was when soda was sold in bottles instead of plastic containers. We would take the bottles to the store and receive 2 cents apiece for them. When the price reached 5 cents, we thought that we had struck "Gold". BTW, I bought my first Duncan YO-YO by doing this. Fond memories-YES.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #118  
Does anyone remember doing this? When we were young, my Bothers and I would ride our bicycles searching the ditches and sides of the roads for discarded pop bottles. Some of you may refer to them as soda bottles. That was when soda was sold in bottles instead of plastic containers. We would take the bottles to the store and receive 2 cents apiece for them. When the price reached 5 cents, we thought that we had struck "Gold". BTW, I bought my first Duncan YO-YO by doing this. Fond memories-YES.
We called them "drink bottles" in northeastern NC, and yes I sold many a one, some I even collected behind the store I sold them to! :laughing:

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #119  

We called them "drink bottles" in northeastern NC, and yes I sold many a one, some I even collected behind the store I sold them to! :laughing:

That had to be really effective since I know me and my brothers sure kept the roadsides cleaned of drink bottles.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #120  

Yep, "Pop" bottles and some called all of them "Coke" bottles no matter what flavor they were for. When I first started to school, I had to walk, probably less than half a mile, along U.S. 70 west of Ardmore, OK, to where I'd catch the school bus, so I kept a close eye out for those bottles. You see my Dad didn't go to movies, and he didn't eat store bought "light bread". But he spent one might a week in the Kincaid Hotel in Oklahoma City. Ardmore had a drive-in theater that was one price per carload on that one night a week. So, if I could find enough bottles, we'd have a real treat for supper that night; baloney sandwiches, and then go to the movie.:laughing: And then we moved to Healdton, OK, and a friend and I would hunt the bottles while riding horseback. Three bottles, 6 cents, would pay for a sack of Bull Durham and we'd try to roll cigarettes while riding a horse, like they did in the movies; spilled more tobacco than we ever got rolled. But my buddy, T.J. liked chewing tobacco and a plug of chewing tobacco cost 11 cents. Now I figured if he was that extravagant, it must be really good, so I bit off a little piece once and spit it out; didn't even chew it. It tasted so bad that I never tried chewing tobacco or snuff again.

Incidentally, when I was a teenager and my Dad bought a service station, the bottles still had a 2 cent deposit and the wooden case also had a 2 cent deposit, so the total deposit was 50 cents. And then we paid 80 cents for the case of soft drinks, sold them for a nickel each, so for $1.20 we made a 50% profit.