Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #121  
Bottles in my home are were 3c for regular, 5c for the big qt size like Canada Dry, but in VA, which was 8 miles north and the first store was about 2 miles above the line in those days, bottles were 5c and 8c. So would collect a bunch of them and either pull our wagon loaded behind our bikes or catch a ride with one of the older boys up to the VA store and rake in the dough! Doesn't sound like a big deal but when big candy bars were a nickle and cookies were 2 for a penny, it made it worth while.:cool:

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #122  
I remember when I was around 5 yrs old and my uncle bought me a pair of wooden skiis w/ cable bindings and leather square toe ski boots. The pointed me down a ravine at my uncles farm and all cheered me on. Then they would carry me back up. That was about 58 years ago and I guess I was the entertainment at the time....Sure sticks in my mind..........

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #123  
I grew up on a farm owned by my grandparents; no running water, outhouse, dirt road until after I started to school, then it was State gravel. We milked around 20 Registered Holstein cows (we did have electric milkers), saved skim milk & cream from the evening milking to use the next day. We also kept a few sows, separated the milk, sold cream, fed the skim milk to the hogs. Butchered our own hogs & processed them, Dad used a "sugar cure" on the bacon & hams, sausage was hand ground. After grinding (before we had a freezer), the sausage was pressed into patties, about 1/2 cooked, stacked in stone jars & lard poured over them & stored in an unheated enclosed back porch. When you wanted sausage, you dig the patties out of the lard, scraped off the excess & fried them!

My brother & I cold tell when farming was good, we had a few store bought, canned hams & Dad smoked a few cigars instead of just cigarettes that winter.

In the Winter, we lived in the kitchen & one bedroom downstairs & one bedroom upstairs because the house wasn't insulated & LP cost too much to heat the whole house (not enough trees on the place to burn wood). Wind would sometimes blow the old, loose carpet upstairs up 4" in the middle of the room. I've helped Mom bring frozen overalls off the clothesline into the unheated front room to finish drying. She taught elementary school to help pay the bills & was my 4th & 6th grade teacher with a class of around 20 kids, 14 of which were in the class all 12 years! I didn't have running water until I left home! ~~ grnspot

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #124  
Winter memories of long ago for me are cutting kale by hand for winter feed and pulling mangols by hand on frosty mornings.
Spreading muck on the fields with a fork because we had no muckspreader, it was left in small piles from a trailer and we then had to scatter it, most of the time it would be frozen hard but we managed.

The warm cosy feeling when going in with the cows for milking when it was frosty outside is a good memory for me and standing by the tractor to get warm when out fencing or clearing ditches.

Happy days

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #125  
Bottles in my home are were 3c for regular, 5c for the big qt size like Canada Dry, but in VA, which was 8 miles north and the first store was about 2 miles above the line in those days, bottles were 5c and 8c. :cool:

I remember the bottles well .That's how I kept gass in my first car. Sure took a lot of pop bottles to keep it going and that was back in the days when gas was only 20 to 25 cents a gallon .

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #126  
I believe LB is a bit older than I but I remember a local gas war when competing stations had it down to .25 a gallon when I was in college during the early 70's. You can bet where we all went.

MarkV

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #127  
For a while my brother raised chickens and paid my sister and I to clean the eggs. He'd sell them to neighbors, but we always had more than we could keep in the refrigerator. We started keeping the extras in a large covered crock in the pantry. The eggs were lowered in to this solution of white pasty liquid and stayed there until we needed fresh eggs for cooking. I used to hate sticking my hand in to pull out eggs. Seems like the eggs were in there for months!

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #128  
Winter memories of long ago for me are cutting kale by hand for winter feed and pulling mangols by hand on frosty mornings.
Spreading muck on the fields with a fork because we had no muckspreader, it was left in small piles from a trailer and we then had to scatter it, most of the time it would be frozen hard but we managed.

The warm cosy feeling when going in with the cows for milking when it was frosty outside is a good memory for me and standing by the tractor to get warm when out fencing or clearing ditches.

Happy days

What breed cows were in the string? (If you don't mind saying.)

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #130  
I'm only 65 so I don't have some of the older Fall memories as some of you do - but - when I was much younger we had a huge apple tree and we shared the fruit and some other garden vegtables with a family that needed help. At the end of the day the father of that fine family sat down on a tree stump and pulled a pocket knife from his worn bib overalls and picked a nice apple from one of the sacks. I wondered how he was going to eat it since her didn't have any teeth at all. I was spell-bound has he opened the knife and grabbed the blade and began to thump the apple with the knife handle. He thumped and turned the apple for awhile then turned the knife around and cut a nickle-sized hole in the side. He put the knife away and tilted his head back and gently squezzed the fresh apple sauce into his mouth. I've never seen anyone enjoy an apple more than he did that fall afternoon.

I like to remember that scene about this time each year.