Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #51  
At Christmas we walked into the woods and topped a big old cedar, it was fuller than small trees and the cedar made the house smell like Christmas. We used holly and mistletoe along with evergreens to decorate. Yea, we had a few glass balls and some old lights that worked when they wanted to, but the love was thick and deep and Christmas came, just the same. This year my wife and I are decorating naturally with very few store bought items and I can't wait! I'm going to revisit a time when we understood our lives, family, church and country. I don't want to live in the past, but I love to visit there!

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #52  
I don't have many good memories of my childhood, but I have some really great memories of my adulthood...

The breathless yet hyperventilating excitement of shooting my first deer at 14 or 15 with iron sights on a .303...

Swim call off the side of my Submarine in 5,000 feet of ocean somewhere between Bermuda and Greenland... Also snorkling, for the first time ever, in the crystal clear waters on the Isle of Capri.

My qual dive in SCUBA class in 30 degree water with only 6" of visibility in the Chesapeake bay (off a fishing pier in the Norfolk, VA area)

My wedding on an empty sandy shore at Anini Beach in Kuai, Hawaii... 2 days later the wife and I spent an amazing day snorkling off that exact beach. The sun, the warm water, the tiny fish, the BIG fish.

Being integrally involved in the birth of all 3 of my daughters, but specifically, my oldest daughter, touching the top of her head, before she was actually born, and feeling a shock like lightning, feeling the power of the connection between she and I. Holding her and singing to her for 20 minutes as they cleaned my wife up...

Riding my Harley to Sturgis SD in August 2000. Specifically I recall one morning about 6am, somewhere middle of nowhere Utah, where as far as I could see I was the ONLY vehicle on the road, and the road was a long undulating double ribbon of blacktop heading for the horizon and vanishing in the crack of a ridgeline... The only sound was wind and the "potato-potato" rumble of my Harley...

I've got some amazing memories, I pray to God I never lose them.

Be well,
David

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #53  
Back when my first son was 3 months old or so I took my wife and my young son (in her arms) for a drive in the woods on my semi home built 4 wheel buggy. I had repaired the shafts with some pipe and my young Morgan stallion was hitched. My wife and son were sitting on the back bed and I was up on the seat at the reins. All was good until at a trot on a tight spot I ran the left front wheel to the outside of a sapling, and the axle against it. The repaired shafts came apart, my wife and son slipped off onto the ground. The reins slipped through my fingers but I caught them before he had gone more than 10 feet. We were more startled than anything. I fixed up the shafts, hitched up again, and we headed home. We used to tell my son that "Tiger" -the Morgan was his older brother by a few years. Tiger was part of the family for 26 years. I was the only one to drive him. The only time my wife did- it was to a jog cart, and she had the bad luck to pass over a mound with one wheel that tipped her out of the cart. I caught up with Tiger and found my wife a little bit in shock with a chipped front tooth and some blood on her chin. That was the last time she she took the reins in a cart--but she rode him whenever she could.
As a horse- he was fearless, didn't like puddles- and when cars went by we had to be careful- every so often he'd try to kick one.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #54  
EE_BOTA in my are that plant is known as Trailing Pine. I find it interesting to see the different names from different areas

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #55  
EE_BOTA in my are that plant is known as Trailing Pine. I find it interesting to see the different names from different areas

I find that interesting too, and also its range. I have so much trouble finding it anywhere else in my area, we felt like the part of our land that has it was special in some way. But some of these things I determined as a child, so I need to reexamine my conclusions. It might be fun to walk through new woods looking for running cedar. The exercise won't hurt, and the time of the year is sure right. :thumbsup:

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #56  
Princess Pine is used for decorations and wreaths, along with balsam fir tips. Both grow all over- everyone makes and sells wreaths. People are always coming by and asking if they can tip on your land.View attachment 282476

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #57  
   / Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..
I remember the first time that I kissed a girl. I mean a "Real Kiss". I was in the fourth grade and she had the prettiest long hair in the entire World.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #59  
MossflowerWoods said:
I don't have many good memories of my childhood, but I have some really great memories of my adulthood...

The breathless yet hyperventilating excitement of shooting my first deer at 14 or 15 with iron sights on a .303...

Swim call off the side of my Submarine in 5,000 feet of ocean somewhere between Bermuda and Greenland... Also snorkling, for the first time ever, in the crystal clear waters on the Isle of Capri.

My qual dive in SCUBA class in 30 degree water with only 6" of visibility in the Chesapeake bay (off a fishing pier in the Norfolk, VA area)

My wedding on an empty sandy shore at Anini Beach in Kuai, Hawaii... 2 days later the wife and I spent an amazing day snorkling off that exact beach. The sun, the warm water, the tiny fish, the BIG fish.

Being integrally involved in the birth of all 3 of my daughters, but specifically, my oldest daughter, touching the top of her head, before she was actually born, and feeling a shock like lightning, feeling the power of the connection between she and I. Holding her and singing to her for 20 minutes as they cleaned my wife up...

Riding my Harley to Sturgis SD in August 2000. Specifically I recall one morning about 6am, somewhere middle of nowhere Utah, where as far as I could see I was the ONLY vehicle on the road, and the road was a long undulating double ribbon of blacktop heading for the horizon and vanishing in the crack of a ridgeline... The only sound was wind and the "potato-potato" rumble of my Harley...

I've got some amazing memories, I pray to God I never lose them.

Be well,
David

A lot of my memories have faded with age David, some have even gotten better than they originally were, but the births of my daughters(I delivered the 2nd one) are just as sharp as they were 25 years ago, and just as cherished.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #60  
A lot of my memories have faded with age David, some have even gotten better than they originally were, but the births of my daughters(I delivered the 2nd one) are just as sharp as they were 25 years ago, and just as cherished.

Rick,

I agee. The birth of my son 27 years ago, and of all 3 daughters since then, are crisp & clear and cherished.

Be well sir,
David