Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #72  
Your post brought back this memory. Has anyone ever tied a string to a "June Bug" and watch it fly around in circles?

My Mom did that for me when I was too little to know how to tie a knot. I was just a little kid...probably around 3-4, and I thought it was pretty scary because sometimes it would fly at me. I'd seen older siblings flying Cox airplanes and I thought the bug was supposed to do exactly the same thing. :D

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #73  
My wish was for the wind-up bulldozer. It had rubber tracks and cleats and a lithographed engine and a driver and would climb over rocks and books...and stuff! :) I remember when if finally came in the mail. What a day. I think it cost $1.50.

Got one of those one Christmas, would almost climb the wall and had sparks that came out the stack. Sure was a lot of fun till I took it apart to see what made the sparks, just a lighter flint laying against an abrasion wheel.
Also remember looking at the Sears catalogue and wanting a pair of shoes with wheels on them.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #74  
Your post brought back this memory. Has anyone ever tied a string to a "June Bug" and watch it fly around in circles?
I sure did. I caught every one I could find and we would see how high we could get them to fly before the string was too heavy. How about making spoke rockets out of bicycle wheel spokes and using match heads?

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #75  
I sure did. I caught every one I could find and we would see how high we could get them to fly before the string was too heavy. How about making spoke rockets out of bicycle wheel spokes and using match heads?

OK... What is a "June Bug"... (I grew up in Oregon...).

David

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #77  
I eat a couple apples each day... still look after each bite for a worm. Most apples had them when I was little [ born '47 ]. The cider seemed to taste great, though. I remember sitting in the back of my Dad's car zooming around cars on the two lanes. Safely glued to the Fingerhut bubble seat covers... didn't need a child seat or seatbelts. Dad used to go out into the woods and shoot the top off a tree with his shotgun/slugs ... That's how we got our Xmas trees... Roads that only had one lane paved, that you time shared with the folks zipping from the opposite direction. Driving in the rain with drum [no]brakes... stomp starters... rusted/froze dimmer switches on the floorboard.. and vacuum wipers... The good old days.... :) [ Burma Shave signs ... ]

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #78  
I eat a couple apples each day... still look after each bite for a worm. Most apples had them when I was little [ born '47 ]. The cider seemed to taste great, though. I remember sitting in the back of my Dad's car zooming around cars on the two lanes. Safely glued to the Fingerhut bubble seat covers... didn't need a child seat or seatbelts. Dad used to go out into the woods and shoot the top off a tree with his shotgun/slugs ... That's how we got our Xmas trees... Roads that only had one lane paved, that you time shared with the folks zipping from the opposite direction. Driving in the rain with drum [no]brakes... stomp starters... rusted/froze dimmer switches on the floorboard.. and vacuum wipers... The good old days.... :) [ Burma Shave signs ... ]

I liked all of that, particularly the image of a man shooting the top out of a tree with little boys looking on. :D

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #79  
Has anyone ever tied a string to a "June Bug" and watch it fly around in circles?
June Bugs were fun but BumbleBees were more active when you tied a length of thread to them. My dad taught me and my brother that the BumbleBees with the yellow spot on their head (males) had no stinger. My little brother would catch 7-8 at a time around the Wisteria bush and keep them in a match box. He left it laying in the kitchen the day our Aunt came down from Michigan for a visit and when he heard the screams he realized what it was and took off for the woods. :p
I remember the hog killing too. My Uncle wouldn't usually waste a 22 round. He would feed the hog and while it was eating he would hit him between the eyes with a framing hammer. While the hog was stunned he would shove a knife in just enough to cut the vein in the throat and let him bleed out. One season after we had scalded and scraped and the hogs were hanging, I was told to wash the hair off with the hose. Seeing the hole in the neck I also figured I would flush that out and stuck the hose in just as I was called over to do something else. When I came back I removed the hose and my Uncle went to open him up and remove the organs. He ended up with about 10 gals of water on his pants. Must have been a flap of skin holding all that water in. :D Living when and where we did my Uncle never did lock his smokehouse... until then time he found one of his hams with pieces carved out of it... and me with a satisfied look on my face. :licking:
One of my strongest memories is going to Sears and Roebuck. Who could forget the smell of the roasting nuts all through the store. It was a major treat to get a small bag of cashews.
Lots of memories.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..
I remember my first ride in an Elevator. I was around 9 years of age. My Mother and I were in J.C.Penny's and were going to the basement floor where the cloth and knitting supplies were. When the door opened, there were two Catholic Nuns already aboard. I had never seen a Nun before. I still think of that first elevator ride and the Catholic Nuns at times when I get on an elevator. Even today.