Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #81  
Remember when elevators had operaters...had to be the most boring job on Earth. Up/down in a window less box all day/night.

mark

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #82  
I remember the hog killing too. My Uncle wouldn't usually waste a 22 round. He would feed the hog and while it was eating he would hit him between the eyes with a framing hammer. While the hog was stunned he would shove a knife in just enough to cut the vein in the throat and let him bleed out.

A former neighbor, even older than I, said his dad shot the hogs just as my dad did. But one time he told his dad that the AG teacher in school said it was better to just cut their throats instead of killing them first. He said his dad didn't say a thing about that; just handed him a knife and told him to kill the hog. He said by the time he managed to wrestle and kill that hog, there'd been lots of squealing by both him and the hog and they were both covered in blood. He said he never again told his dad anything a school teacher had told him.:laughing:

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #83  
I had one, came out of a box of cereal as well. It would submerge until the baking powder bubble formed then it would surface and the bubble would escape and it would submerge again. You could rub a bar of soap on the stern it would travel across the water until the soap was gone.

I had one of those subs as well. :laughing: I swear I got it in a box of ....

Rah Roh, :scooby-doo:, I can't remember the cereal name....

:laughing:

The Internet scares and amazes me....

Cereal Box Covers #150-199

Someone has a website has photos of old cereal boxes. :laughing: I remember some of the boxes on the website including Boo Berry but I did not see Count Chocula. :D:D:D Course I did not look at the huge number of boxes on the website! :shocked::D:D:D

The sub was in a box of Honey Comb cereal as I remember it. WHY I remember such a useless "fact" is odd. :laughing:

Now I have a hankering for Life cereal. :licking: I have not had the stuff since I was a kid. :laughing:

:D:D:D On page 250 there is a cereal I don't remember seeing, Kellogs All Stars Sugar Oats Cereal, that had a free USS Nautilus inside the box! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #84  
We used to get ' Important Stuff ' in Cracker Jacks box... I just had to have a coon skin hat, for watching Danial Boone, and I remember sitting in front of the TV with my Mouseketeer Hat checking out Annet Fucillio. I might have been little, but I knew when I saw a hot babe .... Made my mouse ears stand up.... :) [ M I C, K E Y, M O U S E ]

Last edited:
   / Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #85  
We used to get ' Important Stuff ' in Cracker Jacks box... I just had to have a coon skin hat, for watching Danial Boone, and I remember sitting in front of the TV with my Mouseketeer Hat checking out Annet Fucillio. I might have been little, but I knew when I saw a hot babe .... Made my mouse ears stand up.... :) [ M I C, K E Y, M O U S E ]

The cereal website had quite a few boxes with Disney and Mickey on/in the box. There was some sort of numbered promotions with lights of some kind. I saw a number in the mid teens so they were really selling Disney. One of the promotions was for Disney Land. I would think that box would only have been sold in the western US. How many people would/could travel from the east coast to CA to go to Disney?

We were at Disney World :mickeymouse::minniemouse: this time last year. We were driving home today. :(

Later,
Dan

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #86  
My memories of the late 50's when I was 6 or 8 were going to my Grandparents farm. I got to ride the Oliver tractor with him which he finally died on in the field after a heart attack. I am sure he was happy with that. Feeding the critters so early the sun was hardly up. The Shetland pony he kept for us grandkids to ride. Harvest time when the neighbors all shared resources and Grandmother would cook a breakfast at 4:30 a.m. that looked like a Thanksgiving feast for all that came to help. Grandpa going out and wringing a chickens neck for fried chicken that night. I was mortified when the chicken went flapping away, without a head, and I was suppose to go find it. And probably my favorite was going to the local cafe where the farmers in their bib overalls gathered for coffee and I got to have a cream soda. Grandpa wouldn't take any of my other cousins, I had a bunch, because they wouldn't sit still long enough. There is a good chance those memories are why I live in the country today. Good thread!

MarkV

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #87  
Any of you remember what it's like to put that first wet and sandy bunch of tobacco leaves under your arm at the first light of day. If you do, you know you started early to avoid the heat. And sure enough, it's not hot when you arrived, but it sure is muggy sometimes, and sometimes foggy. But it's not an unpleasant time of the morning, but you know that's coming. :)

By about 10:00 AM, that moisture is gone from the leaves, and even though you already could hold a ton of leaves under your arm before you're forced to go to the sled, now you can hold even more because your side and carrying arm are completely covered with sticky tobacco gum with sand embedded in it, so leaves that touch there aren't going anywhere.

Still, that may not be a bad day priming tobacco if you are nearly done. Frequently we were near done, but different ripening patterns may sometimes mean that we had to work until noon, or even 3:00 pm. That is a bad day of priming tobacco since it gets pretty darn hot in NC out in a tobacco fields. It didn't seem to bother the huge tobacco worms that much, so maybe I should have tried eating tobacco leaves like the worms and like Dolly the mule.

I've mentioned Dolly before...so if you've seen it, we're done here. :) Although most farmers used a sled row wide enough to run a tractor down and used some small tractor for the sled pulling task, one farmer I primed for was unwilling to go that wide, so he used a narrow sled and a mule named Dolly.

Unfortunately, he used "whoa" for stop and a kissing sound for go. Some of us kids tried to develop special techniques to break the tobacco off the stalk to minimize the chance of getting a kissing sound, since if that sound emanated, Dolly would spring into action. But once Dolly was on the move, the farmer didn't just say "whoa" which meant stop, but instead he said "WHOA" which is a more complex command.

Based on observation, big "whoa" meant "go all the way down to the end of the sled row, but stop with your head one foot within the row, and then eat tobacco like you are starved, nervous, and on that 'wacky tobaccy' I hear about on the TV news. And the closer I get, the faster you eat. And when I get beside you and kick you in the gut, that means flea sideways and wipe out some of the tobacco and almost turn the sled over. I'll signal you when you have done enough by no longer beating you toward directions I wish you wouldn't go. The I'll take your halter, scream "whoa means Whoa!", swear loudly using words these children should never hear (and better not repeat lest their fathers treat me like I am treating you.) Finally I'll punch you on the head a time or two to demonstrate that phrase 'hard headed as a mule' has merit. And because you deliberately hurt my fist, I will finish up by showing these children an unusual use of head gear as I use my hat to beat your hat (the one I put on you when I liked you better this morning.)

A few years later, I heard he replaced Dolly with a Cub and he was running down the row when yellow jackets swarmed him and he jumped off the Cub, and the tractor, needless to say, failed to respond to his clear and concise verbal commands and drug the sled into the pond right along behind it.

When some of us kids heard about it we laughed, but not at his troubles, but at the idea of Dolly slapping him with HER hat. :D

Dolly looked like this in her hat, but I never saw her in boots or pants.
mule%u00252Bwith%2Bhat.jpg

PS: Remember the smell of a freshly emptied flue-cured tobacco barn. It's just a wonderful scent.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..
I remember seeing my first Color Television. It was in 1968 and I rode my bicycle to a friend's home that I went to school with. I was actually interested in seeing his Sister, but after I starting watching TV in my friend's Home, I became mesmerized by the Color TV and for a time, I forgot about my Friend's Sister. :D

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #89  
Firecrackers! Not the little noise makers that are today's firecrackers, I am talking lets blow some stuff up BlackCats from my youth. A large pack of a hundred crackers could keep me entertained for hours out in the woods.

Back when a single cracker would blow a tin can to the tops of the trees, or blow a softball sized hole in the ground. Or drop one into a hole in a tree trunk - just to see what would happen (once scared the stink out of a skunk - yikes)

Used to love tormenting the blank ant hills, just keep finding an ant tunnel and keep excavating till I had destroyed the entire nest.

Or going down to the creek and "dynamiting' a new channel to get the water flowing from pool to pool.

Making mud ball grenades, taking a handful of clay, shaping it like a baseball, inset a cracker, light and throw. Hoping she would blow in mid air.

Oh the fun! A kid in the woods, no one for miles in any direction, one minute I am Daniel Boone, the next an injun and then I am a soldier. :)

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #90  
I remember seeing my first Color Television. It was in 1968 and I rode my bicycle to a friend's home that I went to school with. I was actually interested in seeing his Sister, but after I starting watching TV in my friend's Home, I became mesmerized by the Color TV and for a time, I forgot about my Friend's Sister. :D

I think I probably saw my first one about 1964. My wife to be was living with an aunt and uncle in Dallas and they had a color TV. But we got our first one in 1969. This same time of year, the State Fair of Texas was going and J.C. Penny had a booth in one of the buildings with the TVs on display. The sales lady said they would deliver it at no cost, and after some period of time (I think it was a month) I could decide whether I wanted to pay for it or to have them come get it and pay nothing. So I signed up. The day before they were to deliver it, that same lady called and told me that TV is going on sale, so if you decide to keep it, it'll be $50 less than the price we agreed on at the Fair. We kept it.:D