Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge?

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge? #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
I've looked at a couple and been thinking about picking one up. My young son loves shooting his .410 mossberg, and I do to. We love shooting clay pigeons and cans, and I think the revolving carbine is just king of a neat thing.

I've read some favorable reviews online, but I never know if they are truly objective or if they're compensated in some way to have an opinion. I know that this group is about as opinionated as they come, so I thought I would check here.

Is there any problem shooting either .410 or .45 lc in it? I assume it is like the handgun and the cartridges are interchangeable, but I don't know if there are chokes in the barrell and if they have to be changed/removed/whatever you do with choke when switching from shotshells to .45. I assume this isn't an issue with the handgun, because I've read of people that load a couple rounds of shotshells and a couple of .45 lc.

Any opinions or information would certainly be welcome. Thanks for the help.

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge? #2  
I've looked at a couple and been thinking about picking one up. My young son loves shooting his .410 mossberg, and I do to. We love shooting clay pigeons and cans, and I think the revolving carbine is just king of a neat thing.

I've read some favorable reviews online, but I never know if they are truly objective or if they're compensated in some way to have an opinion. I know that this group is about as opinionated as they come, so I thought I would check here.

Is there any problem shooting either .410 or .45 lc in it? I assume it is like the handgun and the cartridges are interchangeable, but I don't know if there are chokes in the barrell and if they have to be changed/removed/whatever you do with choke when switching from shotshells to .45. I assume this isn't an issue with the handgun, because I've read of people that load a couple rounds of shotshells and a couple of .45 lc.

Any opinions or information would certainly be welcome. Thanks for the help.

I'm interested in it too! :thumbsup: Hopefully someone will chime in.

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge? #3  
try again -- I replied once but it didn't go.
I own one and normally keep a mixed load in it. Some 410 and a couple 45. It has no range with 410 shot.
I like it for how I use it and it's easy and fun to shoot.
Handy for snakes. And it stays in the bedroom when not in the field.

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge?
Thanks Mike. Does yours have a choke in the barrel that needs to be removed or changed? I'm guessing not if you keep a mixed load in it.

My primary applications are for shooting clay pigeons and tin cans - I intend for it to be a "fun" gun. My brother has said that he would like to borrow it for close range deer hunting using the .45 lc, but I have not plans for such.

Thanks again.

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge? #5  
I've got both the Taurus and the S+W 410 revolvers, fun guns.

It's a fixed bore with shallow rifling.

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge? #6  
I don't own one and haven't shot one, but I did recently handle and look at one of them and visit with the salesman at, of all places, a Walmart.:laughing: I don't have any use for such a gun, but if I were still out in the country, I might seriously consider it. Looks like a fun gun.

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge? #7  
There is a reason that they stopped making revolving carbines 100 yrs ago. When the bullet makes the jump from the cylinder to the forcing cone, escaping gas under high pressure comes out of that gap. I don't know if Tarus has some sort of shield or gas seal now, but if they don't I would pass.
I witnessed a pistol shooter in the creedmore position shooting a revolver. That placed the cylinder right next to his rt calf. He usually wore a heavy leather guard. That day he forgot it. When he fired, the flame cut through his jeans and left what looked like a bad scratch in his leg. The jeans looked like you cut them with a razor blade.
With a carbine your wrist and forearm are going to be right under the cylinder.
You may want to check that out.

Bill

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge? #8  
My bad, thought we were talking pistols.

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge? #9  
There is a reason that they stopped making revolving carbines 100 yrs ago. When the bullet makes the jump from the cylinder to the forcing cone, escaping gas under high pressure comes out of that gap. I don't know if Tarus has some sort of shield or gas seal now, but if they don't I would pass.
I witnessed a pistol shooter in the creedmore position shooting a revolver. That placed the cylinder right next to his rt calf. He usually wore a heavy leather guard. That day he forgot it. When he fired, the flame cut through his jeans and left what looked like a bad scratch in his leg. The jeans looked like you cut them with a razor blade.
With a carbine your wrist and forearm are going to be right under the cylinder.
You may want to check that out.

Bill

With all due respect. Not picking a fight but if this is what is classified as a revolving carbine they still make-um.

Rossi USA

Seen-em also down here at WM

Boone

/ Anybody have a Taurus Circuit Judge? #10  
Yep, I don't know when they stopped making them, nor do I know when they started again. And I'll admit to not thinking about the possibility of blow by between the cylinder and barrrel. Of course that's never bothered me with my handgun revolvers, but it is interesting to see one shot during the hours of darkness. Quite a light show.