Trailer Tires

/ Trailer Tires #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have a cheap 16' tandem trailer I bought new for $900 in 1999. No more miles than it has on it, the tires still have plenty of tread, but a tire just went flat and separated a belt just sitting there. So, I need to replace the tires. Where should I go for cheap tires for the trailer? New trailer tires, or used tires? I just don't want to spend much money on the tires because it is going to sit for months at a time.

/ Trailer Tires #2  
Diamondpilot (who probably tows more trailers in a month than most people here tow in a year) likes Greenball and recommends avoiding Carlisle like the plague.
If you search in the Trailers and Transportation forum (Trailers & Transportation) there are several threads on this subject.
Some threads:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...47029-american-made-travel-trailer-tires.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/246298-cheap-trailer-tires.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...on/229438-decent-non-china-trailer-tires.html

Aaron Z

/ Trailer Tires #3  
+1 on the Greenballs - all excellent reviews from what I have researched.. When we had a camper we had 3 Carlisle tires blow out and damage the camper, and they didnt have 1000 miles on them yet..

I looked around for Greenballs but at the time couldnt find a local dealer that would/could order them for me for some reason

Brian

/ Trailer Tires #4  
Costco carries the Greenball tires. I also need some new trailer tires so that is what I am going to go with.

/ Trailer Tires #5  
I just went through this after upgrading my trailer axles. 235x85x16 10 ply.tires... new the cheapest I could find on the net were $600 +.I bought good used local for $50.00 ea. mounted. They will probably dry rot b-4 I ware them out as, I don't haul my tractor very / much

/ Trailer Tires
Thanks for the advice. The ones I see online seem to be about $90 per tire for 20575R15, I was hoping for cheaper?

/ Trailer Tires #7  
I have a 25' fifth wheel with two 3500# axles. I bought 4 new LT235R15 all seasons and have had them on the trailer for about 10,000 kilometeres over 4 years. They have performed very well for me but due to age, I plan on selling them soon. Since they fit 1/2 ton trucks, and have lots of tread left, I expect to get back about 1/2 of what new ones will cost me. I know this is not recommended by some people, but was suggested by the place I get my trailer parts/repairs and it works for me.

/ Trailer Tires #9  
Alan, since you rarely use your trailer, a new tire seems to be a waste. I'd look for a used tire shop. I don't know any for sure around your place, but I think I've seen a couple on Hwy 82 toward Gainesville. I sure would not pay $100+ with balancing for a trailer tire to just sit and dry rot.

/ Trailer Tires #10  
Used 15" radials with decent tread can be found for $100 for 4. Look on Craigslist. Might take a few weeks but a good set will show. I purchased 2 uniroyals less than 3 yrs old for $25 each installed recently. They had 40% tread left which will last me many years.