Remington R1 .45 ACP

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #12  
I own 3 kimbers... a 5" custom, a 3" Ultra carry, and a Solo. I have never had any problems with feeding or anything else. The guns are rock solid and I trust my life to them.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #13  
I own 3 kimbers... a 5" custom, a 3" Ultra carry, and a Solo. I have never had any problems with feeding or anything else. The guns are rock solid and I trust my life to them.

The FTF's seem to be a common complaint with any of the custom 1911's...but as you wrote, there are folks who have no problems whatsoever.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #14  
Don't worry, Bro...I got the fire extinguisher!

I may need it, 1911 owners are often really sensitive to any disagreement on the superiority of their guns. I too was a fan and follower of Jeff Cooper and even carried a Combat Commander and full size 1911, but no matter what ammo I tried I still got the occasional FTF. I even sent one to a well known custom gun shop, but still it was not reliable.

No doubt there are reliable ones out there, I just haven't seen one personally.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #15  
I may need it, 1911 owners are often really sensitive to any disagreement on the superiority of their guns. I too was a fan and follower of Jeff Cooper and even carried a Combat Commander and full size 1911, but no matter what ammo I tried I still got the occasional FTF. I even sent one to a well known custom gun shop, but still it was not reliable.

No doubt there are reliable ones out there, I just haven't seen one personally.

My Colt 1991A1 has been reliable and so was my old Auto-Ordnance 1911. Both of these guns were a bit loose, so they weren't tack drivers. That probably helped reliability.
The Auto-Ordnance was my first full sized carry gun for a while and, for a cheap 1911, it was a pretty decent gun. However, it hadn't been dehorned and was rough on clothing...also, like most steel 1911s, rather heavy.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #16  
My Colt 1991A1 has been reliable and so was my old Auto-Ordnance 1911. Both of these guns were a bit loose, so they weren't tack drivers. That probably helped reliability.
The Auto-Ordnance was my first full sized carry gun for a while and, for a cheap 1911, it was a pretty decent gun. However, it hadn't been dehorned and was rough on clothing...also, like most steel 1911s, rather heavy.

All but one of my 1911's were Colts, so I really thought they would work well. Lots of various 1911 variations were on the line when I went through training and a couple were so bad they had to borrow guns to complete the course.

My son had a heavily modified Springfield comp gun for a while, I really liked it, but it weighed a ton; never shot it though.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #17  
Wish people wouldn't use "FTF" without context.

FTF = Failure To Feed

FTF= Failure To Fire

:)

Bruce

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #18  

FTF = Failure To Feed

FTF= Failure To Fire

Bruce

For me, "FTF" has always been failure to feed. I've never had a firearm fail to fire with factory ammo. I have had a few failures to feed.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #19  
No suit needed TripleR.. sure plenty of custom 1911's have problems both FTF and FTF:) but mine doesn't:D. They can be rock solid reliable as any Smith or Glock. It depends on who is doing the work on them. As far as the Remington R1. I don't have a clue. I have never seen one. But with CNC made guns nowadays there is no reason a box stock gun cannot be reliable.. NOT so 20 years ago.. If it would go bang out of the box you were lucky then.. Colts were the worst in my opinion..but no box stock 1911 could be counted on without giving it to a "smith" that knew what he was doing.

James K0UA ....1911's forever:thumbsup:

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #20  

FTF = Failure To Feed

FTF= Failure To Fire

Bruce

Sorry about that FTF "Failure to Function", covers jams, failure to feed, failure to fire and just about anything as the "failures to function" consisted of just about everything. I suspect some were the result of not being broken in, some bad smithing and others I just don't know.

No suit needed TripleR.. sure plenty of custom 1911's have problems both FTF and FTF:) but mine doesn't:D. They can be rock solid reliable as any Smith or Glock. It depends on who is doing the work on them. As far as the Remington R1. I don't have a clue. I have never seen one. But with CNC made guns nowadays there is no reason a box stock gun cannot be reliable.. NOT so 20 years ago.. If it would go bang out of the box you were lucky then.. Colts were the worst in my opinion..but no box stock 1911 could be counted on without giving it to a "smith" that knew what he was doing.

James K0UA ....1911's forever:thumbsup:

I have read a couple of favorable articles on the Remington, but have no personal experience with them.

My newest Colt was bought in the 80's, so the problems you mentioned with the older guns was probably why they weren't reliable. The only one I have now is a stock Gold Cup National Match Series 70. It's fun to shoot, but not reliable.

Interestingly, I was poised to buy a Kimber a couple of months ago when I decided to get my L5740; trying to decide between a Tactical and Ultra Carry. I wasn't going to carry it, I just like shooting them. Of course I also want a Sig 220 Match Elite. My son has had his eyes on my 220 for quite some time. Always seems to be something I would like to have but really don't need.

It may be faulty logic on my part, but since all my training, qualifications were with S&W revolvers and Glocks, it seems if I ever have to use a weapon, it might be good to be able to show a record of ongoing qualifications; maybe, maybe not.