Remington R1 .45 ACP

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #1  

sld

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1210 / Ford 1710
What do you guys think of the Remington R1?

I have been looking at them and have found mixed results. The gun would primarily be a home protection gun and occasional weekend plinker.

I'm not really a target shooter but want something reliable for sure.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #2  
Lots of reviews out there; I have been coveting one ever since they came out. Remington has made a lot of them in the past, so it's not a new thing for them.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #3  
I've also read mixed reviews on this 1911. I think it's going to be mostly determining which ammo feeds best and reliably.

However, if you want reliable...maybe not the best choice. You might want to consider a Glock for home defense and the Remington for fun.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #4  

I have been looking at them and have found mixed results. The gun would primarily be a home protection gun and occasional weekend plinker.

If your not really a target shooter AND you want something reliable AND you want it for home protection AND you want a handgun I would suggest a revolver instead.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #5  

Given you want a reliable defensive handgun, pick a model/brand that law enforcement uses. Most if not all agencies put a lot of time and effort in picking duty weapons where reliability is important.

The S&W M&Ps are very good. There was/is an S&W 9mm, I think it was the Sigma, that has/had problems. Older S&W Third generation weapons were very good but I like the M&Ps more. Glocks and Berettas are used all over the place. Sigs are used as well but I think they cost more money but I have seen some very accurate scores with the Sigs.

Later,
Dan

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #6  

Buy a Kimber if you want a 1911. You will never regret it.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #7  
Certainly not my choice for a self defense weapon, I prefer Glock, Beretta, Sig and S&W revolvers, Ruger also makes nice revolvers. My choice in a 1911 would be a Kimber or equivalent. I've owned four Colt 1911s and still have one, just not really for me. LOTS of people love them though.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #8  
Kimbers are great guns for sure and not cheap;but the problem for a defense gun is that they are very tightly fit and have a tendency to jam.200 rounds or so for a break-in and still are ammo sensitive.I have two Springfield XDs in 9mm and 40 S&W both are fine right out of the box.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #9  
Kimbers are great guns for sure and not cheap;but the problem for a defense gun is that they are very tightly fit and have a tendency to jam.200 rounds or so for a break-in and still are ammo sensitive.I have two Springfield XDs in 9mm and 40 S&W both are fine right out of the box.

Another thing about using a high dollar firearm for defense...if you do have to use it (Heaven Forbid!!), it's quite likely it will be confiscated until things are sorted out. After the case is resolved, it may be very difficult to get the gun returned. I've read more then one horror story about situations like this.

Getting back to the Remington...neat gun and $600 isn't bad for a 1911. The OP just has to determine if he wants to spend the money.

/ Remington R1 .45 ACP #10  

My sons use to be firearms trainers/instructors and they reported a really high rate of FTF on Kimber, Wilson or just about all modified 1911's, so they don't use them. The man who owned the company carried one and sang its praises when I went through the CWP course and his even had problems with all the rounds he put through it.

I usually get flamed when I bring this up as many have them that function flawlessly. I still like them, but based on my personal experience just don't trust them for anything but a fun gun. I will now don my asbestos suit.