Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1210 / Ford 1710

Default Remington R1 .45 ACP

What do you guys think of the Remington R1?

I have been looking at them and have found mixed results. The gun would primarily be a home protection gun and occasional weekend plinker.

I'm not really a target shooter but want something reliable for sure.

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Default Re: Remington R1 .45 ACP

Lots of reviews out there; I have been coveting one ever since they came out. Remington has made a lot of them in the past, so it's not a new thing for them.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

I've also read mixed reviews on this 1911. I think it's going to be mostly determining which ammo feeds best and reliably.

However, if you want reliable...maybe not the best choice. You might want to consider a Glock for home defense and the Remington for fun.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by sld View Post

I have been looking at them and have found mixed results. The gun would primarily be a home protection gun and occasional weekend plinker.

If your not really a target shooter AND you want something reliable AND you want it for home protection AND you want a handgun I would suggest a revolver instead.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Given you want a reliable defensive handgun, pick a model/brand that law enforcement uses. Most if not all agencies put a lot of time and effort in picking duty weapons where reliability is important.

The S&W M&Ps are very good. There was/is an S&W 9mm, I think it was the Sigma, that has/had problems. Older S&W Third generation weapons were very good but I like the M&Ps more. Glocks and Berettas are used all over the place. Sigs are used as well but I think they cost more money but I have seen some very accurate scores with the Sigs.

Later,
    Dan

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Buy a Kimber if you want a 1911. You will never regret it.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Certainly not my choice for a self defense weapon, I prefer Glock, Beretta, Sig and S&W revolvers, Ruger also makes nice revolvers. My choice in a 1911 would be a Kimber or equivalent. I've owned four Colt 1911s and still have one, just not really for me. LOTS of people love them though.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Kimbers are great guns for sure and not cheap;but the problem for a defense gun is that they are very tightly fit and have a tendency to jam.200 rounds or so for a break-in and still are ammo sensitive.I have two Springfield XDs in 9mm and 40 S&W both are fine right out of the box.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    Kimbers are great guns for sure and not cheap;but the problem for a defense gun is that they are very tightly fit and have a tendency to jam.200 rounds or so for a break-in and still are ammo sensitive.I have two Springfield XDs in 9mm and 40 S&W both are fine right out of the box.
    Another thing about using a high dollar firearm for defense...if you do have to use it (Heaven Forbid!!), it's quite likely it will be confiscated until things are sorted out. After the case is resolved, it may be very difficult to get the gun returned. I've read more then one horror story about situations like this.

Getting back to the Remington...neat gun and $600 isn't bad for a 1911. The OP just has to determine if he wants to spend the money.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    My sons use to be firearms trainers/instructors and they reported a really high rate of FTF on Kimber, Wilson or just about all modified 1911's, so they don't use them. The man who owned the company carried one and sang its praises when I went through the CWP course and his even had problems with all the rounds he put through it.

I usually get flamed when I bring this up as many have them that function flawlessly. I still like them, but based on my personal experience just don't trust them for anything but a fun gun. I will now don my asbestos suit.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast