Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Default Re: Water out of s gas can

Quote Originally Posted by robs660 View Post
    I am at a restaurant tonight. (By the way some of he best food I have ever eaten). They serve the drinking water out of Blitz 1.5 gallon red gas cans. Assuming they have only been used for drinking water. Does anyone know if this could be an issue? What kind of plastic is used for red gas cans

Restur is called Red Cadillac in union NJ and its a great place for tex mex
    Not a good idea for several reasons. It goes against what we know to be good sanitation by not using a container approved for potable water and just the thought of drinking out of a gas can would probably ruin the dinner for me anyway. I would call my local (in this state it's called the City-County) Health Department and discuss it with them. More than likely they will send someone out and inspect unless the issue has been resolved already. Having some Health Department/restaurant inspection experience, I can tell you that not all restaurants and restaurant managers are created equal. Someone posted on this site recently a link to a story about a restaurant that was serving road kill...they "didn't know it wasn't ok".
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

Heck, they are now saying that drinking water from the plastic water bottles is unsafe.

Bottled Water and its Health and Environmental Impact

When you were a kid, did you drink from the water hose in the yard?

Something has to kill us otherwise the world will be over populated.
    '12 John Deere X320; '10 Kubota B3300SU with 504 loader with Kubota Quick Attach, Home built forklift carrier that fits on the FEL or 3 point, Landpride SGC0660 grapple, 3 point grader blade, 3 point dump bucket, BH77 backhoe with BXpanded quick attach for buckets, BXpanded trenching bucket, BXpanded ripper, 3 point subsoiler, Landpride RCR 1860 rotary cutter, 3 point log splitter, 3pt quich hitch, Pat's Easy Change, and hydraulic top link

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Were the gas cans the new EPA approved type that are not vented and you have to struggle with the nozzle to get anything out? If they weren't the new type, they were probably letting dihydrogen monoxide gas escape inside the restaurant.
    Jim

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915 & 5200

The Blitz gas cans are made of Polyethylene. Likely not NSF or USDA approved for food contact. But not likely to harm you. Drink from a garden hose lately? I agree it's a "gimmick" Red Cadillac name leads to Red Gasoline containers. Any other decorating hints ??

I say eat there if you like the food ... Otherwise stay away and leave the subject lie. You want the EPA to check your fuel containment systems ?

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    Were the gas cans the new EPA approved type that are not vented and you have to struggle with the nozzle to get anything out? If they weren't the new type, they were probably letting dihydrogen monoxide gas escape inside the restaurant.
    I hate those new gas cans!!!!
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

Quote Originally Posted by robs660 View Post
    I am at a restaurant tonight. (By the way some of he best food I have ever eaten). They serve the drinking water out of Blitz 1.5 gallon red gas cans. Assuming they have only been used for drinking water. Does anyone know if this could be an issue? What kind of plastic is used for red gas cans

Restur is called Red Cadillac in union NJ and its a great place for tex mex
    Maybe it's their way of encouraging you to order Dos Equis or a margarita.

Tractor
    Sears Garden Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdib View Post
    When you were a kid, did you drink from the water hose in the yard?

Something has to kill us otherwise the world will be over populated.
    Yep. I've always drank from garden hoses as a kid and still do as an adult. I'm still alive. It hasn't killed me yet.

I just got a drink out of my garden hose about 20 minutes ago after getting done loading the trailer with firewood.

Chad
    Home Made Receiver Hitch Ball Mount

I took two pieces of scrap metal and welded myself up a slide in ball mount for the receiver hitch I installed on my truck.

The Square tube was originally made to be installed into a receiver hitch as it came off an old wheel chair rack that mounted into the receiver hitch.

The plate was part of a slide in camper tie down. I Pulled trailers with this ball mount for many miles without problems.

Having lost our home in the Bastrop Complex Fire in Central Tx. in 2010, bottled water was everywhere, stored in the hot summer sun: bottles role down, and water was RANK . One would think that due to the more aggressive substance being contained, the red gas container would be a lot more durable. You never see red coming out with the gas, and anything degrading would plug jets, injectors, etc.
    if you drink out of a plastic cup....:-)

Silver Member
    Lake Anna, Virginia and Alleghany County, VA
    Tractor
    John Deere 855

I'm certainly not well versed on this subject, but I do know that there is "food grade plastic". Pickles and other deli foods come in buckets that are "food grade" and they have a triangle with a "2" inside of it that signifies the food grade for that container. I'm in my mid 60's and have always drank from the garden hose. Thats all I know about this!
    Dennis
    JD-855 MFWD
    JD-52 FEL
    Woods 6' Rear Blade
    Woods 5' Brush Cutter+
    Cub Cadet 2166

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

I taught my daughter to drink from the garden hose this year, she had a blast! The first time her cheeks looked like a chipmunk hehe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast