Water out of s gas can

/ Water out of s gas can #31  
I remember my dad putting the sprinkler out in the yard and walking around one side of the house to turn it on as my mom walked around the other side to go sit in the same yard..... my dad survived. :laughing:

Did she beat him with a Rolling pin? :) lol

Chad

/ Water out of s gas can #32  
As long as the cans gets washed routinely like any water pitcher I don't see what the big deal is. If they were using them for long term water storage maybe there would be an issue, but they're just using them for serving.

What's the difference between the plastic used in gas cans and the plastic used in Igloo (and other ) brands water jugs? You know, the ones you see on the back of the road construction company trucks. Those don't even get washed...unless it rains.

Some people must stay up all night trying to figure out new things to worry about.

/ Water out of s gas can #33  
Pops15 said:
As long as the cans gets washed routinely like any water pitcher I don't see what the big deal is. If they were using them for long term water storage maybe there would be an issue, but they're just using them for serving.

What's the difference between the plastic used in gas cans and the plastic used in Igloo (and other ) brands water jugs? You know, the ones you see on the back of the road construction company trucks. Those don't even get washed...unless it rains.

Some people must stay up all night trying to figure out new things to worry about.

I don't think it rains inside the jugs. There is a lid. Most people use it.

/ Water out of s gas can #34  
I don't think it rains inside the jugs. There is a lid. Most people use it.
Right the rain just rinses off the dirt on the outside (think spigot....that everyone handles) and the insides go unwashed all summer.

Last edited:
   / Water out of s gas can #35  
If the can is made of PVC, or other similar material, it might be of interest to check out this link:

Plastic Water bottle Tastes

I'm not sure, but if I were a bettin' man, I'd bet that standards for gasoline cans and the leachability of byproducts into the contents are considerably less stringent than those for food-grade containers.

/ Water out of s gas can #36  
I doubt there are standards for leachability in gas cans. If anything fuel containers might be of a higher grade so fuels don't degrade them. I have a friend that worked in the plastic industry. I'll see what he knows about it.
As far as using gas cans to serve (not store) water...how much leaching could there be in the few minutes the water is in the container?

/ Water out of s gas can #37  
Here's what my engineer friend had to say about it....

" We didn't make
HDPE parts, but I can offer an opinion.

The gas can is most certainly HDPE, the same as the water jug, and
many food containers at the store. The only concerns I might have
would be whether the red dye is safe, and whether any coating was
applied to the inside of the gas can.

I wasn't sure about the food grade question, so I did a little
looking. There are FDA-approved "Food Grade" plastics, and this
approval is based on purity and what types of dyes are used.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about it. Once it's been washed
out, I doubt it's a problem. Especially since the water isn't in
there for very long. I would drink the water."