VOM 101

/ VOM 101 #11  
the getting started with electronics and engineers mini notebook series by forest mims are good reads. the latter may be out of print.. probably can be found though. all wre carried by ratt schacke

soundguy

/ VOM 101 #12  
Harbor Freight has a red VOM which, on sale, is less than $4 as I recall...doesn't get better than that, and it does the basics, volts and ohms, and more. Have used one for years...actually have several so I can find one when I need it..usually.

/ VOM 101 #13  
ratt schacke

soundguy

Or as we call it radio shaft. :laughing:

We still have a nice Simson analog meter here, but most everything has gone digital. Good features on both, but something magic about making the needle move.

/ VOM 101 #14  
I remember going to the local Radio Shack, and having to wait for help, cause the sales guy was on the radio... Imagine going to a Radio Sahck where they knew what a capacitor was, and how to mix and match components. And they could help you with HAM questions.

/ VOM 101 #15  
I remember going to the local Radio Shack, and having to wait for help, cause the sales guy was on the radio... Imagine going to a Radio Sahck where they knew what a capacitor was, and how to mix and match components. And they could help you with HAM questions.

unless you need a cell phone.. kinda useless to hit a RS anymore. :(

I used to go in there to their wall of goodies.. nowadays it's a few drawers... :( :(

/ VOM 101 #16  
Harbor Freight has a red VOM which, on sale, is less than $4 as I recall...doesn't get better than that, and it does the basics, volts and ohms, and more. Have used one for years...actually have several so I can find one when I need it..usually.

heck.. they give it away free all the time. I pic up a free one any time I see one inthe flyer.. I must have 8 of them now.

have 1 in each car and and in my tool bag.. and one in the shop and a spare in a desk drawer.

for what they are they work find.

and if i'm in the field working int he dirt / dust/ rain.. or where it might fall off a piece of equipment and hit the pavement 10' below or land in an oil drain bucket.. or get left on the pickup tailgate and drivve off.. or left on the tire and drive off.. I sure want it to be a HF red one and not my nice fluke or industrial grade meter.

I actually have a nice old micronta as well that I still use. Have an old sperry analog. Used to have one of them nice simpson with leather cases. sadly don't anymore..... loved those things!

/ VOM 101 #17  

We still have a nice Simson analog meter here, but most everything has gone digital. Good features on both, but something magic about making the needle move.

i miss my simpson.

I have an old micronta i like tho...

/ VOM 101 #18  
Mine...

2012-10-11_18-33-55_969.jpg2012-10-11_18-34-04_999.jpg2012-10-11_18-34-11_347.jpg

i miss my simpson.

/ VOM 101 #19  
i miss my simpson.

I still have and use the Simpson 260 that I bought new in 1985. I will admit that I pretty much have retired it to workbench use. I keep a Fluke 179 in my tool bag. It is a little lighter and smaller than the 260 :)