Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ?

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #21  
I guess one "bright side" if everything goes, people will get healthy or die trying, a fella can loose allot of weight walking for food!!!:D basically we go back in time, by a couple hundred years, but with "memories":laughing:

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ?
I keep paper records for backup. I also keep DVDs and HD backups of photos, documents, etc.... Someday, even after a disaster, the computer will get repaired and I can view them again. I keep copies off-site in a safety deposit box. And I update those backups.

In reality, if the power goes out, I have a generator and a fuel supply that I can milk for a month. We heat with wood and have a well. Plenty of dry goods to last a month or more, too.

In the mean time, I will enjoy my electronic luxuries knowing full well they can get blown up at the drop of a hat.

I do enjoy a walk in the woods on a sunny fall day, though. Nothing can stop that.

Moss, I was not talking about your personal computer files being zapped...I was talking about the cyber infrastructure of our whole country going down after it is used by foreign enemy hackers to destroy our power grid, stock market, banking records, water and other utility distribution centers...just imagine the result of all accounts payable and receivable records of all firms on line being erased...Imagine all of this...Your personal files or mine are of little consequence...

I am only suggesting that too much of anything is usually not a good idea...When too much of our society, infrastructure and very lives depend on some computer and technology.....I just don't feel secure...It is not invulnerable....:2cents:

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #23  
Moss, I was not talking about your personal computer files being zapped...I was talking about the cyber infrastructure of our whole country going down after it is used by foreign enemy hackers to destroy our power grid, stock market, banking records, water and other utility distribution centers...just imagine the result of all accounts payable and receivable records of all firms on line being erased...Imagine all of this...Your personal files or mine are of little consequence...

I am only suggesting that too much of anything is usually not a good idea...When too much of our society, infrastructure and very lives depend on some computer and technology.....I just don't feel secure...It is not invulnerable....:2cents:

Well, look at it this way... if the whole infrastructure barfs, we'll all be in the same boat, paper money will have no meaning and you will get murdered for your gold and/or fuel. Yikes! That gives one the warm and fuzzies, don't it! :shocked:

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ?
Well, look at it this way... if the whole infrastructure barfs, we'll all be in the same boat, paper money will have no meaning and you will get murdered for your gold and/or fuel. Yikes! That gives one the warm and fuzzies, don't it! :shocked:

See what I mean....:laughing: Just rejoice everyday and be glad...:dance1:

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #25  
Corning Glass - The end of the computers as we know it

If you Wonder why HP, Dell and other leading computer manufacturers believe the end of the computer as we know it is near. It's not the iPad that has them concerned about the future. It is developments like the ones Corning is working on.
CLICK HERE... A Day Made of Glass... Made possible by Corning. - YouTube

I think I was born at the right time...Too much tech. - people will forget how to think and how to interact with each other on a personal basis...no more interpersonal relationships...not my cup of tea..These folks will not even have a clue how to survive without modern conveniences, electricity and grocery stores...God help most folks if the power goes out for good...I could go on forever about the downside of this technology

What do you guys think...? maybe I am a Luddite ?

That was great, thanks for posting.

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #27  
Technology is great and has the potential to make our lives a living paradise. It, instead, will be the means to enslave the human race in the not so distant future. Forget nuclear war, terrorism, plagues, meteorites, tsunamis etc.
I'm not a fear or armageddon mongrel but thats the way I see its headed and in a short amount of time. Nothing we can do about it either-the future is already written.
I am an IT professional-have been since the 80s and I have seen how far we've come just in 30 years-the leap forward is accelerating faster every day.

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #28  
Enhanced computing >>>> artificial intelligence >>>> cybernetics >>>> Cylons >>>> Battlestar Galactica

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #29  
Enhanced computing >>>> artificial intelligence >>>> cybernetics >>>> Cylons >>>> Battlestar Galactica

Vorlons>>>>:lightbulb:>>>>Light>>>>Who are you?>>>>Bio Manipulation>>>>Bio Devices/Ships>>>>Babylon 5
Shadows>>>>:ant:>>>>Dark>>>>What do you want?>>>>Bio Manipulation>>>>Bio Devices/Ships>>>>Babylon 5

:D

Later,
Dan

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #30  
When I was re-educating for my 3rd career in computer Science. One professor always made it clear. Any large program will never be completely free of bugs. I saw plenty of that while programming for an Electric Utility. Microsoft regularly takes control of my machine in the middle of the night to supply 'updates'. More often these are 'fixes'. Understood.
This automated world that is portrayed here is going to take a 'herd' of programmers to maintain properly. As stated, "One dumb cow", can put a wrench in the works.
For all the smiling faces you see contentedly using this 'automatic' software, there are 3 programmers ripping their hair out, "I thought I fixed that bug 3 versions ago".
Software is an aid, not an answer. I will never let it be in control of my vehicle.

retiredmgn. Did your soft ware programers ever test the underfrequency relay in a on line test.At a substation.
Talk about everything being let go it does.
What company provided your SCADA equipment ?
ken