Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ?

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #31  
retiredmgn. Did your soft ware programers ever test the underfrequency relay in a on line test.At a substation.
Talk about everything being let go it does.
What company provided your SCADA equipment ?
ken

You and I must have been on the other end of things. Your terminolgy is unknown to me. I was an application programmer for numerous systems. Changes would be made in a test region and a small army of the user community would try to break it. If it passed all tests it was determined to be ready for production. Problem being it was not possible to test everything. Running tests through 30 programs with up to 60k lines of code each is not an exact science. People go through their testing scripts and call it good. Of course the clock is always ticking, "This has to be in production status by friday". If anything went wrong during the billing cycle in the middle of the night of course the call goes out to the programmers. Too complex to fix in the night. Restore the system, recompile the old version of the program, rerun the 6 hour bill string.
I don't miss those days.

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #32  
You and I must have been on the other end of things. Your terminolgy is unknown to me. I was an application programmer for numerous systems. Changes would be made in a test region and a small army of the user community would try to break it. If it passed all tests it was determined to be ready for production. Problem being it was not possible to test everything. Running tests through 30 programs with up to 60k lines of code each is not an exact science. People go through their testing scripts and call it good. Of course the clock is always ticking, "This has to be in production status by friday". If anything went wrong during the billing cycle in the middle of the night of course the call goes out to the programmers. Too complex to fix in the night. Restore the system, recompile the old version of the program, rerun the 6 hour bill string.
I don't miss those days.

O'k I understand SCADA Soft ware Control and Data Acquisition Systems. Power company volts amps and line switching .
Been away for 18 years still don't miss the work.
ken

/ Computer revolution on the way....Computers will own the world...not for me...You ? #33  
O'k I understand SCADA Soft ware Control and Data Acquisition Systems. Power company volts amps and line switching .
Been away for 18 years still don't miss the work.
ken

Sounds like meters. I was the lead programmer to the meter lab at Central Maine Power. 600K meters. On my own initiative I wrote an extract script to build a file of everything the meter lab thought it had - separate system/operating system. I then wrote cobol programs to compare this data to what was on the Customer Service System/mainframe - where the billing took place. My cobol program would produce a report of inconsistencies between the two systems. Monthly. Thousands of lines of inconsistencies between the two systems. Amps, volts, dates, usage.
Dam hard to get people to pay attention or care.

Point is, computers are people driven and I have healthy disregard for their output.