del 720 col prntr on win 7 laptop?

/ del 720 col prntr on win 7 laptop? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
my brother had an older acer or asus? laptop with vista 32 on it.. used a del 720 color printer. great looking pics this thing spits out.

he upgraded to a new laptop the other day and I'm helping him get his stuff moved over and setup.

the laptop picked up drivers automatically for everything but the dell 720.

went to dell site.. found the driver package.. says it's good for 2000/xp/vista.

grabbed it anyway.. installed it.. windows shows the printer with the yellow ! sign. no driver. etc.

let it do it's automated soloution check.

came back and said there is a incompatibility with that printer and win7

and to:

try dell for updated driver ( apparrently not? )

or

try a compatibility setting.. but didn't tell how ????

any clues?

soundguy

/ del 720 col prntr on win 7 laptop? #2  
   / del 720 col prntr on win 7 laptop?
that's the weird part. I can't get the new deice wizard to come up when i plug it back intot he usb hub. only got that 1 single time, the initial time we plugged it in. after that.. win7 identified it as a dell720.. shows it in the hardware list and all.. just has the ! symbol and says it needs troubleshooting.

will take a look at those 2 links.

ok.. good info on the links. i'll try that. Iknow we were originally trying the vista 32 driver.

will grab the 64.

already got the delete utility.

will delete the old driver.. run the new one in compat mode and see where we are at.

thanks

ok, went over after work.... ran delete util and unplugged printer... down loaded the 64 bit vista driver.. ran it in vista sp2 compatibility mode.

ran the driver install.. half way thru it asked fro the printer to be plugged in.. it auto detected it and kept installing.

printed an alignment page and test page fine. after install, windows popped up the box that the software 'amy' not have installed correctly, however i checked the box that it had.

made a quick text document and it seemed to print... so.. I guess it all worked out.

thanks guys.

will post back if I hear that any more issues came up.

thanks