What are the best ratchet straps?

/ What are the best ratchet straps? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Y'all helped me when I was asking for a good screw http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/related-topics/239905-where-get-quality-screws.html.

Now I'm wondering about ratchet straps, mainly for securing "stuff" in the pickup bed, like furniture and boxes. Not tractors and dozers. Similar to Erickson Industrial Ratchet Strap, 2000 lb., Pack of 4 - 1036420 | Tractor Supply Company .

I can see myself going thru a bunch of them over the years, and I just got three of them frayed, despite being careful of no sharp corners, metal rubbing etc.

I'd like to find one good or cheap brand, but don't expect to find a good cheap brand. I just picked up a 4 pack at Harbor Freight 4 Piece 1" x 15 Ft. Ratcheting Tie Down Set for dirt cheap on their sidewalk sale which are about identical to the $40 set at Advance auto Buy SmartStraps 14 ft Ratchet or Smart 349 at Advance Auto Parts.

So - recommendations please

/ What are the best ratchet straps? #2  
About a year ago I was in a local hardware store looking at ratchet straps. A contractor came in and bought all of their stock of 2 inch ratchet straps made by Keeper. He said his employees had been buying the cheap straps and they wouldn't last long, only the Keepers did.

Bruce

/ What are the best ratchet straps? #3  
A big negative on the lowes store brand of strap, we bent two handles when using them.

/ What are the best ratchet straps? #4  
I have purchased numerous brands and lengths over the years and there seems to be little difference in quality---at least from what I have seen and used. Since I rarely need to tighten mine up (usually to secure cargo on my UT) past snug, and keep them out of the sun mine seem to last forever. For what it is worth the last dozen I have purchased were from either Menards or TSC...I buy on price because if one fails it is no big deal. Really cannot tell much difference in the quality but the last bunch were from Menards (kelly green webbing) and they seem to have a smoother ratchet action and easier to tighten and loosen. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

bcp, not to be critical and the Keeper brand is excellent but 2 inch straps are overkill for the casual user IMO

/ What are the best ratchet straps? #5  
2" Keeper brand work good, I got an old fire hose and cut 12" pieces to slide over the straps for sharp corners. GoodYear also makes 1" and 2 " straps, I think Sams Club has them.

Dave

/ What are the best ratchet straps? #7  
When I was delivering units of dimension lumber, roof shingles, shakes, plywood & sheetrock from a Mack DM600 with a Prentice Series G boom I trusted Aeroquip 3" cargo straps to hold the load on our beat up back roads. This was 30 years ago. Apparently Aeroquip got gobbled up:

mack sheetrocker.jpg

Kinedyne completed a major acquisition in 1989 when we purchased the Cargo Control division of Aeroquip Corporation of Lawrence, Kansas. This gave us access to the Aeroquip line of cargo securement products and their manufacturing technology. Twelve months later, we broke ground on a new 47,000 square-foot facility in Lawrence to serve as Kinedyne’s main operational facility. This led to a consolidation of all manufacturing and warehousing operations in the area into a single location. We continued our tradition of pursuing cutting edge of technology when a state-of-the-art roll forming and powder-coating facility was opened in 2000 in Painesville, Ohio. The plant would later be relocated to the Prattville facility to take advantage of operational efficiencies.

Hope they kept the excellent quality through this nations death spiral to lowest cost provider!

/ What are the best ratchet straps? #8  
When I was delivering units of dimension lumber, roof shingles, shakes, plywood & sheetrock from a Mack DM600 with a Prentice Series G boom I trusted Aeroquip 3" cargo straps to hold the load on our beat up back roads. This was 30 years ago. Apparently Aeroquip got gobbled up:

View attachment 285338

Back when I drove straight trucks for a living, we used Aeroquip 2" ratchet straps connected to cargo box internal E-tracks and they were the best we ever found for the price.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 420
   / What are the best ratchet straps? #10  
While we're on the subject of tie-down straps, what about bungee cords? Bought a bunch at some box store (don't remember which one) about 6 months ago...first time I tried to use 'em had 2 break right in half...the actual elastic snapped. Used to be they'd last for years.